IGNORED

Covering Old Ground

Bat Fastard

• SC&T Board Members
50 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

deffo a new ground now . 

Yep, that game was at Bootham Crescent, squeezed in between red brick terraced housing. The new ground is a small identikit job on the Monks Cross retail park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

A quick count for me comes out as 22 old grounds in England, nearly all of those I’ve visited their new replacements, including West Ham, Leicester and Southampton this season. 

Also a couple in France, Toulouse & Nice both old and new.

A number of complete refurbishments too, Charlton, Bournemouth, Marseille, Plymouth, us to name a few. 

If we're getting all cosmopolitan, then Stadio Flaminio

(where Rome's third side Lodigiani used to play, and the two big Rome sides played while the Olympic was being redeveloped in 1990)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, italian dave said:

What makes R****s stand out is that everyone else moves from an old ground to a new one. They just move from an old ground to someone else's old ground.

Certainly the only team I've seen at 4 different "home" grounds. I think they might have used Forest Green for a home game as well some time ago

Just now, Kingswood Robin said:

Certainly the only team I've seen at 4 different "home" grounds. I think they might have used Forest Green for a home game as well some time ago

Some would have seen them at the Gate , I was one of about 40 who got thrown out before they kicked off and I wasn't going to pay twice :facepalm:

• Haha 1

I went to,Ninian Park, The Vetch, Elm Park, The Manor Ground, The Goldstone Ground, The Dell, Layer Road, MK Hockey Stadium, The County Ground (Northampton), Belle Vue, Millmoor, Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Feethams, Bootham Crescent, Saltergate, Griffin Park, The Old Den, Highbury, Upton Park, Highfield Road, The Baseball Ground, Victoria Park, Eastville, Springfield Park, Burnden Park, Gigg Lane (not sure if Bury still play there), Gay Meadow, Maine Road, Fellows Park, Sealand Road, Somerton Park, The Old Show Ground.

There`s probably one or two I`ve forgotten too.

Daughter went to uni in Leicester. Moving in day a temporary car park was set up on a piece of waste ground. Lugging a box into the hall of residence I saw a tiny road sign saying Filbert St. Car park guy confirmed it was the site of the old ground. Showed me a bit of turnstile left in a blackberry bush. Really weird- and looking around, I could literally see the ghosts of that FA cup win.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I went to,Ninian Park, The Vetch, Elm Park, The Manor Ground, The Goldstone Ground, The Dell, Layer Road, MK Hockey Stadium, The County Ground (Northampton), Belle Vue, Millmoor, Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Feethams, Bootham Crescent, Saltergate, Griffin Park, The Old Den, Highbury, Upton Park, Highfield Road, The Baseball Ground, Victoria Park, Eastville, Springfield Park, Burnden Park, Gigg Lane (not sure if Bury still play there), Gay Meadow, Maine Road, Fellows Park, Sealand Road, Somerton Park, The Old Show Ground.

There`s probably one or two I`ve forgotten too.

That is a great list. You must have been to the old Wembley as well.

11 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Daughter went to uni in Leicester. Moving in day a temporary car park was set up on a piece of waste ground. Lugging a box into the hall of residence I saw a tiny road sign saying Filbert St. Car park guy confirmed it was the site of the old ground. Showed me a bit of turnstile left in a blackberry bush. Really weird- and looking around, I could literally see the ghosts of that FA cup win.

I went to Leicester Uni and spent many happy hours in Filbert Street. It always felt odd watching a team in blue though.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I did several times (three with City). Just seeing @Bedred31`s post above yours I realised I missed Filbert Street off the list too.

The old Wembley was rubbish really- until Euro 96 when they removed the fences and it was a completely different place. Forgot to mention the old Shrewsbury ground (wife from there and got married at Meole Brace), with the chap in a boat picking the ball out of the Severn. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Rovers Reserves played at the old FGR ground for a season or two but I don't think they ever used it for a first team game.  

11 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

It is right by the King Power (or whatever it's called).

3 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Rovers Reserves played at the old FGR ground for a season or two but I don't think they ever used it for a first team game.  

Imagine your reserves playing at a better ground than your first team? And yes, I have been to the old Lawn!

32 minutes ago, Offside said:

For me it’s just:

Cardiff

Swansea

Rotherham

Rushden & Diamonds

Oxford

Brentford

Chesterfield

Colchester

Aghhh! I forgot Rushden and Diamonds. Thanks for the reminder. I just looked through the league tables for reminders, but Rushden and Diamonds lost their ground when they imploded. I recall that they had some sort of link with Doc Martens footwear, or maybe my memory is faulty in this respect. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Aghhh! I forgot Rushden and Diamonds. Thanks for the reminder. I just looked through the league tables for reminders, but Rushden and Diamonds lost their ground when they imploded. I recall that they had some sort of link with Doc Martens footwear, or maybe my memory is faulty in this respect. 

The owner of R & D who bankrolled their rise from the Southern League Midland Division and the rebuilding of the stadium was Max Griggs who also owned the Dr Martens company. No idea why he pulled out ( handed the club over to the Supporters Trust ), but by then they were already in decline.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CodeRed said:

The owner of R & D who bankrolled their rise from the Southern League Midland Division and the rebuilding of the stadium was Max Griggs who also owned the Dr Martens company. No idea why he pulled out ( handed the club over to the Supporters Trust ), but by then they were already in decline.

Drive past the old R&D ground regularly. It’s a real shocker. Was a small but tidy stadium- bit like a smaller version of Brentford’s new ground. Now completely levelled waste ground.