IGNORED

Covering Old Ground

Bat Fastard

I just looked through the league tables for the top 6 leagues in the country and counted 22 grounds I visited that no longer exist. That counts Tottenham, which may be cheating a bit!  

These were: ManC, Arsenal, Tottenham, Brighton, West Ham, Brentford, Leicester, Southampton, Hull, Cardiff, Millwall, Rotherham, Oxford, Rovers, Shrewsbury, Reading, Milton Keynes, Colchester, Forest Green, Chesterfield, Barnet, Weston-s-Mare.

It would be interesting to see who else has visited old grounds and, I'm sure there more that others can add to the list.  Sadly I missed visiting Ayresome Park and Roker Park. 

For me, old grounds visited are :

Brighton, West Ham, Brentford, Leicester, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Swansea, Millwall, Stoke, Rotherham, Derby, Bolton, Oxford, Gas, Wigan, Shrewsbury, Reading, Walsall, Colchester, Chesterfield, York. 
Technically could claim Charlton & Wimbledon too as went to their old grounds when they each didn’t have one. So, 22 + 2. 

• Like 1

Arsenal , Brighton , West Ham , Brentford , Leicester , Hull , Coventry , Sunderland , Middlesborough , Cardiff , Millwall , Stoke , Swansea , Rotherham , Derby , Bolton , Oxford , Northampton , Bristol R*vers , Wigan , Shrewsbury , Reading , Walsall , Newport , Wimbledon , Colchester.
Plus; Chesterfield , York City , Wembley . 

I think that's most of them, couple more now Non League possibly. 
It why I gave up on even thinking about the 92 thing, too many Clubs moving.
Done all but Arsenal with City , so I'd be relying on Cup games to fill in now and I can't be arsed TBH. 

Edited by 1960maaan

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Arsenal , Brighton , West Ham , Brentford , Leicester , Hull , Coventry , Sunderland , Middlesborough , Cardiff , Millwall , Stoke , Rotherham , Derby , Bolton , Oxford , Northampton , Bristol R*vers , Wigan , Shrewsbury , Reading , Walsall , Newport , Wimbledon , Colchester.

Done all but Arsenal with City , so I'd be relying on Cup games to fill in now and I can't be arsed TBH. 

Ah yes! I forgot to add Wembley to my list. Good shout 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It still hurts to see Brentford play at their new Ground. Griffin Park was such an iconic little stadium steeped in history. I almost think getting rid of Grounds like that should protected by English Heritage.

I saw today that Griffin Park used to have a 14,000 capacity terrace behind their goal called the royal Oak end, that helped contribute to an overall capacity of 38,000 back in the day.

That terracing eventually got replaced with that small two tiered stand behind the goal.

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Arsenal , Brighton , West Ham , Brentford , Leicester , Hull , Coventry , Sunderland , Middlesborough , Cardiff , Millwall , Stoke , Swansea , Rotherham , Derby , Bolton , Oxford , Northampton , Bristol R*vers , Wigan , Shrewsbury , Reading , Walsall , Newport , Wimbledon , Colchester.

Much the same for me. I’m up to more than 80, all with City. But with clubs moving, and with departures/newcomers in L2 every year, I go backwards some years!

However, I think I might give the 92 a go soon. The problem is that apart from Arsenal and Brentford new grounds, all the ones I’m missing are L2 and mostly god forsaken places north of Blackpool!! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Walsall is the obvious one that we seemed to go to every other week back in the day!

Or was that just redeveloped?

New ground, but it was a long time back. It must have been soon after the infamous play off games. And the new ground was looking pretty shabby pretty quickly! 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Brighton, West Ham, Brentford, Leicester, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Swansea, Millwall, Stoke, Rotherham, Derby, Bolton, Oxford, Gas, Wigan, Shrewsbury, Reading, Walsall, Colchester, Chesterfield, York. 
Technically could claim Charlton & Wimbledon too as went to their old grounds when they each didn’t have one. So, 22 + 2. 

York is one I am not sure about. I say Cheesley score a hattrick in a 1-4 with there and guess that must have been the old stadium. Maybe that makes my list 23, but that needs checking.

10 minutes ago, Redland Red said:

Bolton Wanderers, Northampton Town and Doncaster Rovers for me.  And I think that York City and Telford United have moved grounds since I visited.

Do you recall when Northampton and Doncaster changed grounds?

15 minutes ago, Malago said:

I can throw in a few Scottish ones as well: Falkirk, Airdrie, St Mirren, St Johnstone, East Fife, East Stirling.

You are a hero!!

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Controversial ;)

I put Plough Lane under Wimbledon's old ground, as MKD appeared like a magicians trick out of no where 🤣

They were also at some hockey ground before moving into their current stadium.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Ah yes! I forgot to add Wembley to my list. Good shout 

Add that to my list as well.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Charlton was a redevelopment I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Done all of those with us. Plus Huddersfield, Chester, Scunthorpe & Doncaster too.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Darlington.

That one too, ridiculously I went there the day before I started a new job in Bristol, mind you I was 19 then & I certainly am not now.

• Like 2

I've been to Elm Park, a fine setting for any sports venue and to the Dell. When visiting Southampton a few years ago, a local pointed out to me some "Luxury Apartments". I was asked if I knew where I was and didn't. When told tis was the Dell i was shocked. "I saw George Best score a hat trick here and now look at it".

I'm not sure whether it's Derby or Sunderland, but at one of them a supermarket has a football painted on the ground to remind shoppers what used to be on that spot.

Rotherham's previous ground can still be seen and is pretty near heir new one as is Huddersfield's.

Edited by 22A

A quick count for me comes out as 22 old grounds in England, nearly all of those I’ve visited their new replacements, including West Ham, Leicester and Southampton this season. 

Also a couple in France, Toulouse & Nice both old and new.

A number of complete refurbishments too, Charlton, Bournemouth, Marseille, Plymouth, us to name a few. 

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Done all of those with us. Plus Huddersfield, Chester, Scunthorpe & Doncaster too.

That one too, ridiculously I went there the day before I started a new job in Bristol, mind you I was 19 then & I certainly am not now.

How the hell did I forget Chester, one of the best days ever .

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

New ground, but it was a long time back. It must have been soon after the infamous play off games. And the new ground was looking pretty shabby pretty quickly! 

Just checked, moved into the new ground in 1990

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I make that 23 as Rovers had two old grounds, no?

I didn't count squatting at Bath as their ground. 
Saw Wimbledon at Palace and Charlton at Palace and WHU G*s at Eastville & Bath , all gets a bit messy.