IGNORED

another World cup to be held in the winter time?

• The title was changed to another World cup to be held in the winter time?

As the World Cup gets bigger with each tournament the costs become too big for most countries to host the event. In 1966 16 qualified teams were divided into four groups of four, with each group playing  a round-robin format. In 2026 there will be 48 teams. It’s understandable that the competition has grown since ‘66 but 48 teams is a bit OTT. There are only approx 200 countries in the world 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

As the World Cup gets bigger with each tournament the costs become too big for most countries to host the event. In 1966 16 qualified teams were divided into four groups of four, with each group playing  a round-robin format. In 2026 there will be 48 teams. It’s understandable that the competition has grown since ‘66 but 48 teams is a bit OTT. There are only approx 200 countries in the world 

There’s too much football. Full stop. There is no longer the exotic element of unknown players from far off climes dazzling at the tournament. Most of the world’s best players are in the Prem or the top divisions in Europe. It’s become a borefest. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Actually enjoyed it in the run up to Christmas as a fan, not against it 

Same. And I think it suits our players more than a summer tournament where we seem to turn up with more end of season exhaustion than any other nation.

We were a tad unlucky not to progress further in the last one.

• Like 2

As the climate get's warmer,  I'm surprised that Spain or Portugal will be looking to host games at 3pm in June.  It's ******* hot!  Maybe not Saudi Arabia hot in mid June, but still hot.  And as player welfare becomes more of a thing, that'll be a thing.

Give it a few years and the next Italian World Cup (if they can can their arses in gear to bid) will probably be Spring or Autumn.

And I'm not opening a debate here about culture wars or any of that bollocks, I can see the way the world is turning and am simply going with it.

Edited by Vespa Red