IGNORED

Alan Nicholls?

I'm normally pretty good on knowing players from the 70s and early 80s, but I just stumbled upon your lot playing Forest on the Big Match revisited and you had an Alan Nicholls playing for you. I have no recollection of him whatsoever and Google only showed one article which appeared to be hidden behind a paywall.

So, Alan Nicholls, who he?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One of the young lads thrown in at the deep end post 82. A classy CB from what I remember. Wasn`t his dad a fair player too and ran a pub in BS3?

That was Alan Williams, landlord of the White Horse in Bedminster. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One of the young lads thrown in at the deep end post 82. A classy CB from what I remember. 

He wasn't that good, but he stood out from the other post '82 youngsters as he was the only one that was genuinely tall. That was enough to get him in the team

The rest of the youngsters in that era (apart from Rob Newman) were a bunch of midgets

I was at Hull University in 1989 with a guy from Dewsbury who knew Alan Nicholls. I remember him asking me if I remembered him at the time and I didn't even back then because my first game was 1984 after his time! I think I was only eventually able to confirm it when the 'BCFC Complete Record' book came out.

This same bloke (my friend not Alan Nicholls) had this idea to put a false football career on his CV. A sort 'made a couple of sub appearances and got a career ending injury' type thing as a conversation starter. Of course in those pre-internet days he'd almost certainly got away with it as the only records would have been with the club or FA. 

He really was one with a lot of potential to move onwards and upwards, he had great attributes , it really was very sad to see how it was all so tragically taken away from him at such an early age. Illustrates the fragile nature of being a footballer.