IGNORED

Last time we played Cardiff

5 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

The board sacked the manager.

Fingers crossed that lightening strikes twice.

We were 15th then. We’re 13th now. We’re a mid table squad, whoever the manager is. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eardun said:

We were 15th then. We’re 13th now. We’re a mid table squad, whoever the manager is. 

We were also in a month long to 6 week long Annus Horribilis for injuries, Cardiff being the pinnacle.

When Manning arrived we were 10th or 11th, 4 points from the playoffs but more pertinently..

League

Pearson plus the Fleming game

*15 Games

*6 Wins-40%

*21 Points- 1.4 PPG

Manning

*20 Games

*6 Wins- 30%

*23 Points- 1.15 PPG

Clear and obvious regression.

Injury situation is better overall, Dire and Twine in, Weimann out.

2 wins and or 5 points light in terms of maintaining the position inherited, points and wins at least.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3
  • Robin 2

When Pearson was sacked I said it was a clueless decision. I thought he was doing a decent job based on our squad. I didn’t think that this squad was getting anywhere near the top six even with Pearson. It is a mid table squad. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, eardun said:

When Pearson was sacked I said it was a clueless decision. I thought he was doing a decent job based on our squad. I didn’t think that this squad was getting anywhere near the top six even with Pearson. It is a mid table squad. 

Accepted and agree with a lot of it, but for the level to drop from 1.4 to 1.15 and 40% to 30% so far, is somewhat alarming.

I was hopeful of 63-65 points, top half even if lower top half, maybe even 10th.

Below 60 points would be disappointing, bottom half again likewise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eardun said:

But if Pearson would have been supported back in the summer and again as required in January… we’d be there or thereabouts.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, FNQ said:

But if Pearson would have been supported back in the summer and again as required in January… we’d be there or thereabouts.

Exactly. Instead we are giving boat loads in the summer to a bloke who failed with Pearson’s top six squad if he doesn’t get us relegated 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. Instead we are giving boat loads in the summer to a bloke who failed with Pearson’s top six squad if he doesn’t get us relegated 

REDOXO is spot on !   

{can i be on your siggy now 😆}

6 hours ago, eardun said:

We were 8th a week before then lost to Ipswich and Cardiff with an injury ravaged squad. Only one reason that the squad was mid table and that wasn't on the manager. Fwiw I believe the extra ingredients of good man management and coaching would have made us more top10 than mid table.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

We were 8th a week before then lost to Ipswich and Cardiff with an injury ravaged squad. Only one reason that the squad was mid table and that wasn't on the manager. Fwiw I believe the extra ingredients of good man management and coaching would have made us more top10 than mid table.

I class 10th as still mid table albeit top end - and we could in theory still make 10th of course. I just don’t  - and didn’t - see us troubling the playoffs this season. The squad just doesn’t have the depth, the quality or the consistency needed. And because of that lack of depth, we can’t cope with injuries. And just to add, we’ve been incredibly fortunate that Vyner and Dickie have not been injured - bare bones there so could have been even worse 

Edited by eardun

7 hours ago, FNQ said:

Self-harm / sobotage.  That’s what you get from a hierarchy working on self-interest.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, eardun said:

I class 10th as still mid table albeit top end - and we could in theory still make 10th of course. I just don’t  - and didn’t - see us troubling the playoffs this season. The squad just doesn’t have the depth, the quality or the consistency needed. And because of that lack of depth, we can’t cope with injuries. And just to add, we’ve been incredibly fortunate that Vyner and Dickie have not been injured - bare bones there so could have been even worse 

Vyner was injured for Ipswich at home and Cardiff away (at least). Part of the problem..

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Vyner was injured for Ipswich at home and Cardiff away (at least). Part of the problem..

Indeed, just checked.

Leicester Away to Cardiff Away.  Before this we conceded 6 goals in 7 games.

The next 7 we conceded 10 in 7 albeit those 7 did include Ipswich Home, and trips to Leeds and Leicester plus the aforementioned Severnside derby.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Yes. I was talking about since Manning was appointed. If either Vyner or Dickie had been injured in recent months we really would have been stuffed - we’ve been lucky in that respect (so far). Fingers crossed Naismith can stay fit now. 

Edited by eardun
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yes. I was talking about since Manning was appointed. If either Vyner or Dickie had been injured in recent months we really would have been stuffed - we’ve been lucky in that respect (so far). Fingers crossed Naismith can stay fit now. 

I like Naismith and I think we play better football with him in the side.

Would be interesting to see if that’s still the case under the new style.

Sadly though it never seems to be long between each Naismith injury 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I like Naismith and I think we play better football with him in the side.

Would be interesting to see if that’s still the case under the new style.

Sadly though it never seems to be long between each Naismith injury 

I agree. Under Pearson, it was a common view that we were more creative with Naismith in the side, breaking lines, set piece delivery etc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eardun said:

I agree. Under Pearson, it was a common view that we were more creative with Naismith in the side, breaking lines, set piece delivery etc. 

he’s got vision and quality of passing which creates chances by moving the ball quickly.

sadly that doesn’t seem to be our current M.O. and it appears players natural instincts are being dampened.

Maybe Naismith can’t play with the shackles on and that’s why he’s not making squads but we see him training with the squad.

He doesn’t seem like a chap to mince his words or pander to a management team who’s ideas restrict his qualities 

• Like 1

I still think a fully fit Naismith helps spread the play better, break the lines etc in midfield or perhaps th3 deepest of a midfield 3.

Of course you need the carrier as well, Scott..could Twine while not of the same level, again if fully fit give us that dimension.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I still think a fully fit Naismith helps spread the play better, break the lines etc in midfield or perhaps th3 deepest of a midfield 3.

Of course you need the carrier as well, Scott..could Twine while not of the same level, again if fully fit give us that dimension.

Naismith in the James role and here’s a crazy thought !

Drop Jason Knight back into the ball carrying role instead of playing him in a position that doesn’t make the most of his strengths 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Drop Jason Knight back into the ball carrying role instead of playing him in a position that doesn’t make the most of his strengths 

It’s a testament to Knight that he’s chipped in this season playing where he has.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, eardun said:

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Accepted and agree with a lot of it, but for the level to drop from 1.4 to 1.15 and 40% to 30% so far, is somewhat alarming.

I was hopeful of 63-65 points, top half even if lower top half, maybe even 10th.

Below 60 points would be disappointing, bottom half again likewise.

It's irrelivent where we finish this season, we sacked the best manager we have had in a long time and replace him and his backroom staff with a gamble.  I'm truly gutted about this season but I really worry about the players next season and the finish next season, his post match interviews are utterly uninspiring dross, if he says step up one more time I'm going to kick a puppy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

That amused me, I love that formation I bet we don't see it this season.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a testament to Knight that he’s chipped in this season playing where he has.

Yes a good buy in my opinion and somebody you always feel will give his all for the team.

Just imagine how good we might be and how enjoyable the football we watched  could be if players were played in their natural positions and were allowed to express themselves on the pitch.

Natural expression playing a style of football that suited the squad.

We probably still wouldn’t be successful but I bet we as fans wouldn’t be feeling as we do now !

it just feels like the fans and the players have had the life and enjoyment for football sucked out of them 

2 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

That amused me, I love that formation I bet we don't see it this season.

Do you think it could work though and provide better entertainment 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Thought earlier in the season you could rotate Naismith and James to some degree, depending on the opposition, Home v Away etc.

Tweaks within a framework, not making 3.27 changes per game. Its a fine line granted- agree on Knight too.

17 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

he’s got vision and quality of passing which creates chances by moving the ball quickly.

sadly that doesn’t seem to be our current M.O. and it appears players natural instincts are being dampened.

Maybe Naismith can’t play with the shackles on and that’s why he’s not making squads but we see him training with the squad.

He doesn’t seem like a chap to mince his words or pander to a management team who’s ideas restrict his qualities 

I just think Saturday was too early for Naismith. Manning did say prematch they would have to see how he was post full training.

1 minute ago, eardun said:

I just think Saturday was too early for Naismith. Manning did say prematch they would have to see how he was post full training.

Yeah I take very little notice of what’s said about players fitness and availability.

I think we’ve seen on many occasions that what is said on this subject is often different to what actually unfolds.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought earlier in the season you could rotate Naismith and James to some degree, depending on the opposition, Home v Away etc.

Tweaks within a framework, not making 3.27 changes per game. Its a fine line granted- agree on Knight too.

With Naismith he’s often been played as a centre back so the fact he is willing to try and make things happen and be a bit more adventurous has resulted in things going wrong and goals coming from his errors.

With a pair of centre backs behind him that level of danger is greatly reduced 

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

With Naismith he’s often been played as a centre back so the fact he is willing to try and make things happen and be a bit more adventurous has resulted in things going wrong and goals coming from his errors.

With a pair of centre backs behind him that level of danger is greatly reduced 

Yes Pearson played him in midfield too. If and when he’s fit I’d get him in the team - even if that means playing a back 3; he can move into midfield from there.