IGNORED

Our Model - It doesn’t work

Harry

Really interesting post.

What are your thoughts though on the last few managers - Lee, Pearson, and now Manning. To my (untrained) eye they play a very different game, so when did this playing philosophy actually start?

Was it pre Pearson, but they put up with him to get us out the shit? Or was it mid Pearson, he didn't buy in, and they replaced with Manning who'd be a better fit?

But if that's the case, how do we explain the signings which clearly don't fit what Manning wants... Which in theory should be what the club wants as they only just appointed him?

Confused is the word.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

For the last few years, Bristol City FC has been attempting to create its own ‘model’. Their idea of the optimum way to run a football club to provide it with the best chance of success. 

The ‘Model’ is supposed to be one where everything at the club is ‘aligned’.
It says that all of our teams from the under 8’s through to the first team will play the same way. 
I’m not sure that’s quite such a good idea but hey ho. 
But the most crucial element for me is that the model says that the first team will play a certain way and that we have a ‘Technical Director’ to oversee this and ensure it’s on track and everything is aligned. 

Personally, at this level of football, I don’t think that works. 
The scene is such that, any manager coming into the club should be of a certain ‘type’ and conform to a certain set of principles. 
The club have created a philosophy (call it an identity if you like) as to how they want to play football and any manager should align (there’s that word again) with that. 

The Technical Director runs the recruitment side of the business. 
He determines what players we sign and what manager and coaches we sign. He will try to conform to the club principles and appoint managers and coaches who will ‘fit’ and sign players who will ‘fit’. 

We see this sort of model at the top end of the game. Many of the biggest clubs run on a Director of Football type of model, where the manager has only limited say in the player recruitment and is basically just tasked with getting on with it, with the rather expensive tools he is provided. 

This doesn’t work at our level. We see this in all it’s gory (yes, not glory) with the Tinnion/Manning appointment. 

We have a club philosophy that desires to play in a certain way and players have been signed to attempt to slot into that style. 
We now have a manager who has been appointed who clearly likes to adopt a very different philosophy. 
I don’t blame Manning for this. We approached him. He didn’t apply for this job. He had a clear and evident CV, a body of work behind him, that was obvious to anyone who bothered to look that was at odds with our own club model. 

Furthermore, this new manager, whilst not having players who can play his way, doesn’t have very much say in how to fix this. 
His first transfer window and we make 4 permanent signings - 3 of which we wanted before the new manager got here. So the new manager arrives, doesn’t have players he wants and then the ‘club model’ signs 3 players that ‘the club model’ wanted. 

This is a huge issue for me. We are attempting to recreate models that have had success at places like Brighton, Brentford and even bloody Luton. But whilst those clubs had certain recruitment models, they didn’t dictate a ‘playing philosophy’ throughout the club. They just had very thorough and clever scouting and recruitment modelling. It didn’t dictate the playing style. Whenever there was a manager change the new boss still has his own free reign in terms of how he played and the recruitment model would then have to ‘align’ with the managers philosophy - not the other way round. 

When Dean Smith took over from Mark Warburton, he did things differently and they recruited accordingly. Likewise when Frank then took over from Smith, he had different philosophies on pressing, defensive positioning, midfield solidity etc. and the club then recruited accordingly. 
Luton played a certain way under Jones, but when Edwards arrived he harnessed what was already good but brought his own style to it and the club then recruited accordingly. 

What we have at Bristol City is a dictatorial model, whereby the Technical Director and Recruitment Team have defined a model and anyone that arrives at the club must buy-in to that model. There is no wavering. Yes, a new manager might have a bit of a say in some signings but generally they are targeted based on our defined modelling. 

Surely it’s obvious to anyone that this just doesn’t work. The talk of ‘everything at this club is aligned, from the under 8’s to the first team’ is just a false platitude. It’s a strapline that they think is clever “hey look at us, we’ve got an identify and model, we’re unique”.

That might work well at Barcelona or Man City but it’s pointless in the championship. It’s not what will actually bring success on the pitch. 

To achieve success on the pitch at this level you need a manager who is allowed to run the first team in his own way. Who won’t be dictated to by inferiors who spout about an identity and an alignment throughout the club. 

It’s time for Manning to depart, in my opinion, but it’s also time for the club to drop the nonsense and stop acting like a billy big bollox. The club think that they have a clever way of doing things and that it’s the only way of separating themselves from the challenging division we are in. 
It’s not clever. It’s nonsense. Drop the bullcrap. 

The way to achieve success was evident to us a few years ago when a man called Steve Cotterill was appointed. I wasn’t his biggest fan when he got here, and I also think the time was right for him to go, but the period he was here, there is no denying that he’s been the only manager in recent years that’s done things his own way and said “balls” to the ownership and ‘model’. 
Cotterill worked with an experienced Chief Scout and identified the best available players and signed them to fit a way of playing that HE wanted. 
None of this “we’re all aligned from the u8’s to the tea lady”. 
Just an experienced manager with an experienced chief scout, putting together a squad that would play to the managers identity, not the clubs identity. 

It’s time to ditch the bullshit. 
Get out there and employ a manager with cahuna’s, one with a CV that demands respect from his players, let him bring in the players that HE wants, not players that the ‘club’ have targeted for the last few windows. Let him put his own team together to play the way that HE wants. 

The current model stinks. There are people in positions of authority that have real negative impact on this club who are not fit for purpose. 
We need a board of directors who can appoint a respected manager, who in turn will be empowered to bring in his own trusted recruitment team or chief scout, sign his own players and have zero meddling from unqualified  nobodies. 

Our model is shit. And we will get nowhere with it. 

I disagree Harry we aren't trying to create our own model, we are copying Brentford, then when that didn't work we copy Luton, when that doesn't work we'll copy someone else,

There is no strategic thinking,

What's going on reeks of tinnion, the same thing happened under his reign,

He needs to go ans an actual technical director with no history at this club needs to come in

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

For the last few years, Bristol City FC has been attempting to create its own ‘model’. Their idea of the optimum way to run a football club to provide it with the best chance of success. 

The ‘Model’ is supposed to be one where everything at the club is ‘aligned’.
It says that all of our teams from the under 8’s through to the first team will play the same way. 
I’m not sure that’s quite such a good idea but hey ho. 
But the most crucial element for me is that the model says that the first team will play a certain way and that we have a ‘Technical Director’ to oversee this and ensure it’s on track and everything is aligned. 

Personally, at this level of football, I don’t think that works. 
The scene is such that, any manager coming into the club should be of a certain ‘type’ and conform to a certain set of principles. 
The club have created a philosophy (call it an identity if you like) as to how they want to play football and any manager should align (there’s that word again) with that. 

The Technical Director runs the recruitment side of the business. 
He determines what players we sign and what manager and coaches we sign. He will try to conform to the club principles and appoint managers and coaches who will ‘fit’ and sign players who will ‘fit’. 

We see this sort of model at the top end of the game. Many of the biggest clubs run on a Director of Football type of model, where the manager has only limited say in the player recruitment and is basically just tasked with getting on with it, with the rather expensive tools he is provided. 

This doesn’t work at our level. We see this in all it’s gory (yes, not glory) with the Tinnion/Manning appointment. 

We have a club philosophy that desires to play in a certain way and players have been signed to attempt to slot into that style. 
We now have a manager who has been appointed who clearly likes to adopt a very different philosophy. 
I don’t blame Manning for this. We approached him. He didn’t apply for this job. He had a clear and evident CV, a body of work behind him, that was obvious to anyone who bothered to look that was at odds with our own club model. 

Furthermore, this new manager, whilst not having players who can play his way, doesn’t have very much say in how to fix this. 
His first transfer window and we make 4 permanent signings - 3 of which we wanted before the new manager got here. So the new manager arrives, doesn’t have players he wants and then the ‘club model’ signs 3 players that ‘the club model’ wanted. 

This is a huge issue for me. We are attempting to recreate models that have had success at places like Brighton, Brentford and even bloody Luton. But whilst those clubs had certain recruitment models, they didn’t dictate a ‘playing philosophy’ throughout the club. They just had very thorough and clever scouting and recruitment modelling. It didn’t dictate the playing style. Whenever there was a manager change the new boss still has his own free reign in terms of how he played and the recruitment model would then have to ‘align’ with the managers philosophy - not the other way round. 

When Dean Smith took over from Mark Warburton, he did things differently and they recruited accordingly. Likewise when Frank then took over from Smith, he had different philosophies on pressing, defensive positioning, midfield solidity etc. and the club then recruited accordingly. 
Luton played a certain way under Jones, but when Edwards arrived he harnessed what was already good but brought his own style to it and the club then recruited accordingly. 

What we have at Bristol City is a dictatorial model, whereby the Technical Director and Recruitment Team have defined a model and anyone that arrives at the club must buy-in to that model. There is no wavering. Yes, a new manager might have a bit of a say in some signings but generally they are targeted based on our defined modelling. 

Surely it’s obvious to anyone that this just doesn’t work. The talk of ‘everything at this club is aligned, from the under 8’s to the first team’ is just a false platitude. It’s a strapline that they think is clever “hey look at us, we’ve got an identify and model, we’re unique”.

That might work well at Barcelona or Man City but it’s pointless in the championship. It’s not what will actually bring success on the pitch. 

To achieve success on the pitch at this level you need a manager who is allowed to run the first team in his own way. Who won’t be dictated to by inferiors who spout about an identity and an alignment throughout the club. 

It’s time for Manning to depart, in my opinion, but it’s also time for the club to drop the nonsense and stop acting like a billy big bollox. The club think that they have a clever way of doing things and that it’s the only way of separating themselves from the challenging division we are in. 
It’s not clever. It’s nonsense. Drop the bullcrap. 

The way to achieve success was evident to us a few years ago when a man called Steve Cotterill was appointed. I wasn’t his biggest fan when he got here, and I also think the time was right for him to go, but the period he was here, there is no denying that he’s been the only manager in recent years that’s done things his own way and said “balls” to the ownership and ‘model’. 
Cotterill worked with an experienced Chief Scout and identified the best available players and signed them to fit a way of playing that HE wanted. 
None of this “we’re all aligned from the u8’s to the tea lady”. 
Just an experienced manager with an experienced chief scout, putting together a squad that would play to the managers identity, not the clubs identity. 

It’s time to ditch the bullshit. 
Get out there and employ a manager with cahuna’s, one with a CV that demands respect from his players, let him bring in the players that HE wants, not players that the ‘club’ have targeted for the last few windows. Let him put his own team together to play the way that HE wants. 

The current model stinks. There are people in positions of authority that have real negative impact on this club who are not fit for purpose. 
We need a board of directors who can appoint a respected manager, who in turn will be empowered to bring in his own trusted recruitment team or chief scout, sign his own players and have zero meddling from unqualified  nobodies. 

Run out of likes 👍 

• Like 1

Not only that but decisions made and a model driven by one of the worse appointments (for the second time in his case) the Lansdowns have made in a long list of bad appointments - overseen by the owners son who is seemingly running it like it’s Football Manager on his PC. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

We had just that manager and coaching team 6 months ago.

Not really. The club were still getting Pearson to adhere to the club’s philosophy.  Pearson didn’t have free rein. Name 1 thing or indeed 1 person that changed in the recruitment area during Nigel’s 2.5 years. 
None. We were still committed to doing the same things. Nige brought his own experience and respect to the playing staff that were presented to him, but the model above him was still majorly flawed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I disagree Harry we aren't trying to create our own model, we are copying Brentford, then when that didn't work we copy Luton, when that doesn't work we'll copy someone else,

There is no strategic thinking,

What's going on reeks of tinnion, the same thing happened under his reign,

He needs to go ans an actual technical director with no history at this club needs to come in

We always appear to be trying to do what someone else did successfully elsewhere, without any success. A pale imitation of something that worked elsewhere. I don't think Jon, or Steve, or Brian have an original or unique football idea between them

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Condensed Version:

We need new ownership 

Not necessarily. 
Steve doesn’t need to sell. He just needs to get ******* real and drop the idea that he can achieve success HIS way. You can’t. Get a manager who can, allow him to do it, and call off your dogs 

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

I humbly submit that I can see the flaw in your eminently sensible essay Harry.

No experienced and competent manager with a top level scouting set up, is gonna be satisfied with shopping in the bargain basement. We were extremely lucky that Pearson went along with it for so long.

That's where Tinnion has come into his own. Convincing SL he has the skill to buy em cheap and sell em on at a big profit.

• Like 4

I agree with a lot but I query given..Brentford is one model, how much autonomy the manager got is open to question there IMO.

When we could spend money although we spent in the wrong places as well, I would say that a decent number of Brentford signings were of a similar profile and starting point to a decent number of ours.

For the most part they were a 4-3-3ish under both Smith and Frank, possession and pressing albeit Frank improved them tactically.

They executed their system brilliantly. Tinnion and Jon Lansdown are very much incorrect for their positions.

• Like 2

Just now, Bristol Oil Services said:

We always appear to be trying to do what someone else did successfully elsewhere, without any success. A pale imitation of something that worked elsewhere. I don't think Jon, or Steve, or Brian have an original or unique football idea between them

Tinnion needs to go,

Lansdown needs to sell some of his stake in the club so he's no longer majority shareholders have 2 with 33% share and 1 with 34% share, make the board bigger

Rip up the current recruitment team and actually invest in a good one

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Condensed Version:

We need new ownership 

Who don’t employ sycophants & incompetents but people with a track record elsewhere.

Said in another reply to @Harry Pat Mountain is the only person at the club now who has ever fulfilled his current role at another Championship club.

Manning’s predecessor employed Rennie, Fleming & Euell, so not only Pearson but all of them had CVs you could look at & say they know what they’re doing.

We are corner shop.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Condensed Version:

We need new ownership 

Agreed - we can thank the Lansdowns for much of what they’ve done - but I think to put it politely, Steve Lansdown has passed his “sell by date” with the club.

Out of energy, out of ideas and seemingly out of cash.

Fun fact - in his 20 years of ownership there have been 18 new premier league teams. 

That’s 18 teams, without parachute payments, that have gone up to the premier league during Lansdown’s ownership. Almost 1 a year….makes you think….

• Like 6

Just now, GrahamC said:

Who don’t employ sycophants & incompetents but people with a track record elsewhere.

Said in another reply to @Harry Pat Mountain is the only person at the club now who has ever fulfilled his current role at another Championship club.

Manning’s predecessor employed Rennie, Fleming & Euell, so not only Pearson but all of them had CVs you could look at & say they know what they’re doing.

We are corner shop.

Why we have the goalkeeping coach as our set piece coach is beyond me?

Do we expect PM to train defenders in the art of defending and attacking corners and free kicks.

Compared to other Championship clubs we don't really seem to have much of a coaching set up at first team level at the present.

• Like 1

Just now, Glasgow Red said:

Steve Cotterill was sacked because he was about to get us relegated from this division. The amazing League One season seems to alter peoples memory.

He had plenty of time and a transfer window to turn it around

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Glasgow Red said:

Steve Cotterill was sacked because he was about to get us relegated from this division. The amazing League One season seems to alter peoples memory.

If you read carefully you’ll see that I said he left at the right time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

He had plenty of time and a transfer window to turn it around

I dont remember too many people at the time being upset with his sacking. We had been awful for months before. Just as bad if not worse than Mannings last 6 games. People need to learn to have perspective.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

If you read carefully you’ll see that I said he left at the right time. 

Fair, you did!

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Get out there and employ a manager with cahuna’s, one with a CV that demands respect from his players, 

Agree mate but too wordy, cut it down to what it boils down to.

"Cotterill worked with an experienced Chief Scout and identified the best available players and signed them to fit a way of playing that HE wanted". 

Cotts was the best manager we've had since Terry Cooper or maybe Gary Johnson, our idiot directors shafted him sacked him and appointed a clown.

"Get out there and employ a manager with cahuna’s, one with a CV that demands respect from his players, "

Did that with Cotts, did that with Nige, couldn't wait to get rid of both of them.

"We need a board of directors"

Repeat repeat repeat - We need a board of directors We need a board of directors We need a board of directors We need a board of directors - and that doesnt mean Crayon Boy who thinks appointing "young and upcoming managers" - Lee fricking Johnson and Liam for ***** sake" is clever. It isn't, it's idiotic.

Nige summed up our model perfecetly when he called out the idiocy of a football club whose stated raison d'etre is to sign players from lower clubs and sell them at a profit.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

Just now, Glasgow Red said:

I dont remember too many people at the time being upset with his sacking. We had been awful for months before. Just as bad if not worse than Mannings last 6 games. People need to learn to have perspective.

Fair, you did!

Alot were angry, because he didn't have backing, he had deals agreed with the likes of Harry Maguire only for the club to go back in because they thought why could get a better deal

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not necessarily. 
Steve doesn’t need to sell. He just needs to get ******* real and drop the idea that he can achieve success HIS way. You can’t. Get a manager who can, allow him to do it, and call off your dogs 

Employ the right people.

Get your governance sorted - ie get your son off the board. Give him the observer role he deserves and settle that.

And at the very least accept some investment (if anyone can be persuaded) from someone who can bring some fresh ideas.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3