IGNORED

Resilience, determination, passion, fight & togetherness

CityGill

All “behaviours” we lack.

For me, it’s not about the quality of our players, because Ipswich have just showed us that mentality is what makes a promotion side.

There is something wrong with the mentality of our club as a whole. Bristol City feels like a “nice” club to come and work. You will be treated well, nobody will deride you for not performing. The club mentality is a reflection from the staff we have at the top of the club.

We don’t buy players who have the mental strength we need. There is nobody to lead, to take a game by the scruff of the neck, to put that game changing tackle in and grab their own teammate and scream in their face when they misplace a 6 yard pass.

This is not meant to be a reflection on the Ipswich match, if I’m honest I watched the match and thought good attempt city, but I was jealous of Ipswich’s passion.

Edited by CityGill
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Well done to Mark Ashton. Personally never had an issue with the guy. Credit where it’s due, has built a strong recruitment strategy with Luke Werhun. Difference is they got the management right and owners appear to have not interfered. 

I'm not sure I'd ever say this out loud but I have this season wondered if Mark Ashton wasn't actually the problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

I'm not sure I'd ever say this out loud but I have this season wondered if Mark Ashton wasn't actually the problem. 

You've just said it on a forum thread watched by 13 people, how out loud wouldn't you say it🤣?

He was a big part of the problem. The model he was working to here would have been ok if we knew how to recruit properly (like Brentford), he was in charge of the books and he made himself head of recruitment. So overspending and poor recruitment sat with him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CityGill said:

For me, it’s not about the quality of our players, because Ipswich have just showed us that mentality is what makes a promotion side.

There is something wrong with the mentality of our club as a whole. Bristol City feels like a “nice” club to come and work. You will be treated well, nobody will deride you for not performing. The club mentality is a reflection from the staff we have at the top of the club.

We don’t buy players who have the mental strength we need. There is nobody to lead, to take a game by the scruff of the neck, to put that game changing tackle in and grab their own teammate and scream in their face when they misplace a 6 yard pass.

This is not meant to be a reflection on the Ipswich match, if I’m honest I watched the match and thought good attempt city, but I was jealous of Ipswich’s passion.

Bar the occasional promotion from the third tier, this just about sums up the last 40 years

3 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

It does make you think is it the mad King and his Bristol sport empire 

I'm not sure it's a thought anymore, the only constant is that it's us (fans) or him (owner), and as far as I can tell under his ownership we don't have any say in how the club is run so it can't be us.

Posted (edited)

I look at the interviews from our owner, chairman, and technical director and I don’t see the vision or passion to set a direction for the whole club. 

We are a static club at the moment. A forever mid table club. Quite frankly, it’s boring. As fans, it’s hard to get excited and I feel that in BS3. The only thing to look forward to is a cup run. The only way I can see out of this rut is a relegation or a change at the top who can inject some passion and excitement. Let’s be honest, we are nowhere near a promotion!

I am not anti Lansdown or Anti Tinnion. I am very grateful for the continued investment from our owners, but they need to appoint someone at the top who has passion and vision then leave them to do their job.

Edited by CityGill

2 minutes ago, CityGill said:

I look at the interviews from our owner, chairman, and technical director and I don’t see the vision or passion to set a direction for the whole club. 

I am not anti Lansdown or Anti Tinnion. I am very grateful for the continued investment from our owners, but they need to appoint someone at the top who has passion and vision then leave them to do their job.

They are money men ,not football men and when we had one they booted him out.

• Like 3

We had that already before the regime change.

All we needed was a bit of creativity in the middle and wide areas and we could have been a top half side knocking on the door of the playoffs.

It's gone from resilient to soft touch. From determined to switching off. Passion and fight to frustration and togetherness to a divided fanbase.

We had everyone pushing in the same direction, the ship was turning. We've scraped another iceberg. Best hope we stay afloat.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, CityGill said:

Funny because we were just beginning to show all those things under Nige....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, One Team said:

You think Ashton hand picked LJ & Holden? No chance!

Those appointments had SL & JL written all over them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Funny because we were just beginning to show all those things under Nige....

I think we were showing it most of the season under him. I'd stopped worrying about conceding last minute winners, soft goals from free kicks etc 

We just seemed solid, wiling to run through walls for each other and generally switched on most of the time. We'd become the team who would generally finish the stronger.

Everything seems so brittle again and that's my main concern, as it took ages to sort it out last time.

• Like 3