IGNORED

Mehmeti

His control AND shot for the goal were both pretty awful I thought, but I admired the fact he was looking to get forward and take players on. That's what allowed it to happen and it was well deserved imo. Also a good bit of skill to make space for his shot from range - not too many others would have done that.

A better performance overall going forward I agree.

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

His control AND shot for the goal were both pretty awful I thought, but I admired the fact he was looking to get forward and take players on. That's what allowed it to happen and it was well deserved imo. Also a good bit of skill to make space for his shot from range - not too many others would have done that.

I agree he got lucky with the deflection but how he took it in the area and was decisive with where he was going. That’s massively improved from what we’ve seen before 

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

The second touch on the dribble inside, was what stopped Morsy making a tackle.  You earn that deflection.

You know after all the time of watching Meheti just not quite doing the right thing, running down into defenders and not passing. He looked so on it tonight . He had it about him. Hope it continues 

• Like 2

Nice to see things work out a bit better for him today. For much of the game he was the most dangerous player on the pitch.

I thought the goal was a great example of his strengths - positive and aggressive running at defenders, small quick touches to beat players, and a decent effort on goal (admittedly helped by a deflection, but those kinds of positive actions earn a bit of luck). I don't think anyone else in our team scores that goal.

A good demonstration of the potential he has. Now it's just about extracting it a bit more consistently. 

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Funny I thought this too, I’ve only seen it in real time though.

I still think there’s a potential player there, but he is very awkward at times or like his feet don’t quite do what his head wants them to.

His intentions are there but it’s more luck than execution as to whether it comes off sometimes.

• Like 1

Mehmeti certainly has his flaws but at this moment in time he is the only player capable of creating something by beating his man.

I said on another thread that we have lots of honest, hard working players, but you need a sprinkling of magic at the top end of the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Mehmeti certainly has his flaws but at this moment in time he is the only player capable of creating something by beating his man.

I said on another thread that we have lots of honest, hard working players, but you need a sprinkling of magic at the top end of the pitch.

Positives, but very wooden in his interview and clearly influened to be on message with comments about staff & "manager".

He seems to have potential. His decision making is often very poor though, possibly due to him coming into the game late? I imagine with the right coaching he could become a decent player at this level.

Had a decent 2nd half last night and I suspect he was instructed to push forward and take on defenders as opposed to try not to lose the ball and pass backwards and sideways.

How much is down to the player and how much is down to the manager and the instructions he is normally given?

If you want that type of player to succeed, then you have to give him freedom and allow him to take on defenders otherwise you may as well not play him at all.