IGNORED

Based on the last 12 games Bristol City are in 23rd place in the Championship

Derek

24 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Any reason why the OP never chose 15 games? 

What were the 3 games before those 12, I just had a look.....  Watford - won, Hull - won, Sunderland - won, so add those 9 points and where would we be?

As much as I am certainly not convinced by what has happened, and probably agree that it actually seems we have regressed, it does show that plenty on here will choose what to present to suit their own stance (both sides too).

12 games is 12 games, I could easily look at the last seven.

With all respect - it matters sweet **** all when the momentum on paper the smaller the sample to present gets, it gets worse not better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

We may well find ourselves in a position that Nige kept us up. 

Which'll be the irony of ironies and further proof that the owner & directors haven't a clue what they are doing. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Any reason why the OP never chose 15 games? 

What were the 3 games before those 12, I just had a look.....  Watford - won, Hull - won, Sunderland - won, so add those 9 points and where would we be?

As much as I am certainly not convinced by what has happened, and probably agree that it actually seems we have regressed, it does show that plenty on here will choose what to present to suit their own stance (both sides too).

23 points, 21 games is his full record. Crap. What the 12 games shows is an alarming downturn which if replicated over the last ten games COULD see us playing the Gas next season.

I've not contributed to the various Manning in/out threads yet, but now seems a good time.

Like many on here, I was profoundly disappointed when Nige was sacked and especially the manner of it, but was prepared to see what Manning could bring to the team. It's been a real Jekyll and Hyde experience so far. Some fantastic displays against the better clubs (barring Leeds) but truly dismal against the lower sides. After Cardiff I was sadly moving into the OUT camp, and yesterday's performance only highlighted the problem. I now feel that Manning may be a decent coach, but not up to the job of leading a team and managing games of differing types. Swansea is the decider for me. Only a decent performance and setting up a plan (and changing it if necessary) will do, otherwise he'll have to go. Luckily I'll miss the match, taking the wife out to lunch. See you all on Sunday afternoon.

32 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

If we are squabbling regarding what period of games 

Let’s keep it simple - his record since arriving - not good is it

And , putting stats aside it’s about watching and listening to all the surrounding indicators as well

Yes, quite.

But the OP of this thread selected 12 games. We're saying largely the same thing - that choosing that group of games is meaningless. 

I'm honestly not defending his record or anything like that. I'm just showing that it's weird to go with 12 when you could go with the last 4, or the last 15, or even the whole shebang of 21, it's arbitrary.

Same as it was when you could go to the middle of last season and find a block of 10 games where we took 0.8ppg. You could even at one point find a block of 18 games where we took 0.83. But these were arbitrary then and they are now.

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Starting to think it might be better is we lose to Swansea, if that means Manning gets sacked.

Someone will be along in a second to say "I never want my team to lose"....but if you want the best for the club in the long term, sometimes you can see it as a necessary evil for the greater good.

Having said all that - Manning is only a part of the problem, Tinnion and Crayon Boy need to go too.

I don't disagree with the logic here but I can't see them sacking Manning even if we lose to Swansea. We tend to support managers through poor runs of form (LJ and Nige both benefitted from that), and there is no way that Tinnion and JL are going to want to admit they've got it so horribly wrong this quickly. IMO anyway - I just can't see it. 

I think Manning will stay until after the international break, and they'd only get rid if we really did look like we were going down. Which is entirely possible the way things are going at present. 

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes, quite.

But the OP of this thread selected 12 games. We're saying largely the same thing - that choosing that group of games is meaningless. 

I'm honestly not defending his record or anything like that. I'm just showing that it's weird to go with 12 when you could go with the last 4, or the last 15, or even the whole shebang of 21, it's arbitrary.

Same as it was when you could go to the middle of last season and find a block of 10 games where we took 0.8ppg. You could even at one point find a block of 18 games where we took 0.83. But these were arbitrary then and they are now.

The important games for me are the last 4 and we've lost them all, whilst the likes of Sheff Wed have won all 4 and are now only 6 points behind us, when they were 18 points behind us 4 games a go!  We are 100% is a relegation scrap now and another loss this weekend will see us dropping further.  50 points won't be anywhere near enough this season to guarantee safety 

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes, quite.

His full record is not arbitrary, that’s his record and it’s not what he was brought in to do. The arbitrary bit i.e. the twelve games is an uncomfortable indicator that this year he has alarmingly dropped off and it’s reasonable for people to question whether that level of points return IF IT CONTINUES (it is in his hands to turn it round atm) will give us a very steep mountain to climb next season.

FWIW I think we will survive this season, not by as much as we should have though. If we did bomb though it wouldn’t be the unthinkable happening unfortunately given the three dismal games before last night. Next season, if we keep this manager, the recruitment needs to be spot on otherwise it’s a season long relegation battle for us imo.

5 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The important games for me are the last 4 and we've lost them all, whilst the likes of Sheff Wed have won all 4 and are now only 6 points behind us, when they were 18 points behind us 4 games a go!  We are 100% is a relegation scrap now and another loss this weekend will see us dropping further.  50 points won't be anywhere near enough this season to guarantee safety 

Nowhere near enough? Are you thinking 60 or perhaps 85 points needed for safety then?

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes, quite.

My reasons for sticking with 6, is that it usually contains 3 home / 3 away, it usually will contain a mix of teams in league position and style and importantly I think 6 games constitutes “recent form”.  Anything longer I start to see as “trend / trajectory” rather than “form”, e.g. coupling more than one six game run together.

image.thumb.png.cff796f52dd99f705570ed2f783dfaf2.png
I of course have no idea how this is gonna play out.

Nor do I rely on just PPG / rolling PPG.

The underlying numbers generally match what I’m seeing on the pitch. Last night had some semblance of that trend, but like most matches, some good bits and some bad bits on either side.

I think my view of last night was whilst we kept the game tight / contained we were in with a chance, but as soon as that got opened up we were at the risk of chances becoming goals (no shit Sherlock), but better chances, not chances against a structured defence.  It then becomes a shootout about who can take their chances.  And Ipswich created lots in that matter period.  Pretty sure at the time of our second goal we were leading the shot count 11-8, it ended 11-14.  Not that I’m saying that’s the reason.  Just that the game changed, and it exposed us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

I don't disagree with the logic here but I can't see them sacking Manning even if we lose to Swansea. We tend to support managers through poor runs of form (LJ and Nige both benefitted from that), and there is no way that Tinnion and JL are going to want to admit they've got it so horribly wrong this quickly. IMO anyway - I just can't see it. 

I think Manning will stay until after the international break, and they'd only get rid if we really did look like we were going down. Which is entirely possible the way things are going at present. 

Let's be real - NP inherited one of worst squad culture situations including the Wilson Drinking culture I've seen since I supported City and anybody could see it - 12 players were out of contract that summer and only 1 iirc signed a deal.

Non-starter of a comparison regrading the context of the situation - has been pointed out time and again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Let's be real - NP inherited one of worst squad culture situations including the Wilson Drinking culture I've seen since I supported City and anybody could see it - 12 players were out of contract that summer and only 1 iirc signed a deal.

Non-starter of a comparison regrading the context of the situation - has been pointed out time and again.

I know, I totally get that and I’m one of the many posters who have absolute respect for the job that Pearson did. I never called for his head when he was here and was (still an) furious with the way he was treated. All I was saying was that there were times during his tenure when results took a dip that, at many clubs, would have led to him being sacked, regardless of context. I wasn’t for one second suggesting that he should have been, just illustrating the point that we tend to give managers time.

Given that Manning is a pet project of JL and BT, I think he’ll be given more time than most. 

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

We may well find ourselves in a position that Nige kept us up. 

First season? Got 3 points from last 30 on offer, scoring one goal in the three draws. Lost the last 4 games (Cornick scoring the winner for Luton in one of them). We have 10 games to go now. We had the new man bounce for a few games and that saved us. Last 10 games did not really contribute that much, far from it. Not discounting what he did by any means. Would still have him back in a heartbeat, but need to reflect on how quickly the wheels can come off.

Edited by The Original OTIB
  • Confused 1