IGNORED

Jamie Paterson - unknown Swansea future - BBC Article

Selred

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Good article on Paterson. Unknown if he'll be at Swansea next year (it sounds unlikely). 

Not suggesting we get him back, more of just a good read. Doesn't know if he'll celebrate if he scores against us.

Good player on his day, just inconsistent. Hopefully is the latter on Sunday!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68513914

VFM v KP45 off the scale - neither players fault.

Always liked him, just a bit lightweight. If we can pick up a similar but younger player in the Summer  I'd be pleased.

I think he was a good player for us, two footed, always likely to chip in with an assist or a goal.

Exactly the type we need in the summer, though clearly not someone who will be 33 before the year is out.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, David Brent said:

To think we sent him out on loan to accommodate Palmer and Szmodics. He was twice the player of both and proved it when we recalled him. 

It was a truly bonkers time.

Selling Pack & signing both Nagy & Massengo, too.

Absolute absolute shambles.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Dreadful and chaotic transfer window. Any club who ends up with three number 10s for one role by the end clearly has a lot of conflict going on upstairs. It was the turning point for the LJ era even if Covid hadn't happened, since the 18/19 season was actually good.

14 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. Nice lad, on his day as good as anyone in the division but not consistent enough.

You're right in regards to his consistency, put in one of the worst performances i've ever seen from a professional footballer at Reading about four years ago.

15 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. Nice lad, on his day as good as anyone in the division but not consistent enough.

Quite.

At his best when he was given the freedom to move about without holding a defined position. Popped up everywhere and gave defenders headaches.

Played in an over-rigid formation though and he often just faded out of games and you could forget he was there.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think he was a good player for us, two footed, always likely to chip in with an assist or a goal.

Exactly the type we need in the summer, though clearly not someone who will be 33 before the year is out.

If by ‘always’ you mean once every 10 games then I wholeheartedly agree.

If there were an award for worlds most likely player not to turn up when you need him, he’d only lose out in the final to Callum O’Dowda. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

If there were an award for worlds most likely player not to turn up when you need him, he’d only lose out in the final to Callum O’Dowda. 

Probably wouldn't turn up for the final though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I know you didn’t rate him.

I disagree, it’s a forum, that’s life.

This one in 10 games stuff is just nonsense though, he scored 26 goals in circa 150 games, numerous assists. 

15 goals for Swansea in 90 odd games, too.

If you said he was (say) only good every 4th or 5th game, I still wouldn’t agree but it would be far more credible.

• Like 6

I don't really know why Paterson has so much hate on here

He plays in a position where it doesn't always come off but scored some beauties for us, won us a load of points and his goals to games ratio was more than decent 

In fact we have missed a player like him all season

• Like 3

22 hours ago, David Brent said:

To think we sent him out on loan to accommodate Palmer and Szmodics. He was twice the player of both and proved it when we recalled him. 

Isn’t Szmodics top scorer in the Championship, or thereabouts? Nothing wrong with buying him - if only we’d used him properly! 

Hope he does celebrate if he scores on Saturday, I've never understood the non-celebration thing. 

Good player for us, the energy he and Reid brought in the first half of 17/18 was monumental in us having the run we did. 

He never shied away, which was something I liked about him, always willing to give it a go. Sounded like a really positive person in the dressing room, unlike certain other #10's who followed and preceded him...

23 hours ago, GrahamC said:

But at the time, if I remember correctly, we were hugely excited by the signings of Nagy and Massengo, and few seemed heartbroken that Pack was leaving.  Hindsight is a great thing…

• Hmmm 1

Nagy and Massengo could've been fine with more of a transition, or a manager who could get the best out of the squad.

First choice

Smith one of Nagy or Massengo

Brownhill

Like a base of 2 then Brownhill in front. However can spot back into a 4-3-3/4-5-1 in other phases.

Eliasson left, for some games maybe Weimann right Afobe through the middle. Or some games Plan B, O'Dowda wider right, Eliasson left Weimann central.

Now granted Korey and Afobe had their significant injury issues, especially the latter..

Williams in a back 3 naturally inhibited us as his legs had gone. Suitability for a high line, very much no.

DaSilva getting for half a season after Game 1 was unfortunate as Rowe wasn't so dynamic as he could've been. DaSilva wasn't necessarily the same after injury either.

Korey with rolling injuries and then Nagy getting injured early on, we were somehow a bit light in CM for a 3rd player in there despite the numerous signings?

Some decent constituent pieces in places but not at all well managed. Lee Johnson got lots of what he desired.

Oh and Szmodics never got a proper chance. Never.

Come January

Moore loaned out, Brownhill sadly departs.

In comes Benkovic (Loan), arguably on paper gives us a chance to play a slightly higher line being younger. Left footed too.

Henriksen- Good squad player on paper, big red flag lack of gsme time. Not a goal scoring but a solid CM.

Wells- In red hot form at QPR and still in and around prime years.

Paterson recalled. Can provide a bit of goals, assists and or creative spark at times.

Losing Brownhill was an undoubted blow but I don't think Lee Johnson made the most of his resources be it players or budget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Isn’t Szmodics top scorer in the Championship, or thereabouts? Nothing wrong with buying him - if only we’d used him properly! 

I agree. Paterson was superior at the time though. We definitely didn’t need Palmer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

O'Dowda is my most disliked City player ever. I'm sure someone on here will tell me I'm wrong and some random bloke who played for us decades ago was more dislikable but I genuinely detested how long COD got at this club despite being clearly not up to it, bar a couple of months in late 2017.

• Like 1

Everyone also overlooking that JP and Bobby were able to press from the front - it helped the whole team (we’ve not done it effectively and consistently since) and I think was key to our success in the season with the LC run.

We never properly replaced these capabilities (especially Bobby) ie a front two who press - Nahki and Tommy is probably the nearest we have (but they never start together)!

I originally thought Andi would take on this role, but he was never partnered to do so (especially with Martin) and it seemed easier to pass through us afterwards putting more pressure on the midfield.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Nest Egg said:

O'Dowda is my most disliked City player ever. I'm sure someone on here will tell me I'm wrong and some random bloke who played for us decades ago was more dislikable but I genuinely detested how long COD got at this club despite being clearly not up to it, bar a couple of months in late 2017.

I’m not sure why you consider O’Dowda dislikeable. Certainly ineffectual, but seemed a lovely lad. To me, at first sight he seemed to have it all - ability on the ball, strong, floated over the ground. But then the courage to use his skill seemed to disappear. I always wanted him to run at players, surge through the middle with the ball - but he didn’t. 

I don’t know if he lacked courage, or simply had risk taking coached out of him. I suspect the latter. Modern coaches want to retain possession rather than lose it, even if it is the risk takers that create chances. Callum just seemed endlessly to receive the ball wide, then turn and lay it backwards. But surely we see a lot of that in many players today as well?