IGNORED

Swansea City at home match thread

6 hours ago, mozo said:

That was utterly drab and so passive.

I'd like to see us press higher up the pitch and just go man for man. We've already seen how Swansea can be pressured into making mistakes.

We need Sykes for Cornick, who on the ball has been awful. We probably need Wells on alongside Conway. 

How terrible is O'Leary's kicking?!!!

Only Reading MDT (Match Day / Mother’s Day thread) back now at 19:30

Was so evident wasn’t it?  It wasn’t as if we were even lulling them into one of our triggered presses and getting picked off.  We know Grimes will get on the ball, but we did nothing to stop him.  As the half wore on you sensed they might open us up, but luckily Ronald had his Ronald McDonald boots on (that corner 🤣🤣🤣).

Was just a pure block, no press.  Conway and Knight are so wasted doing that.  

• Like 4
5 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Nutters on pitch

One of the kids was still being held by the stewards / security as we exited the SS.  They were obviously waiting to “repatriate” them with a parent.  Youngster tried to make another run for it, but got caught again.

Whats the score….banning order?  And for parent?

4 hours ago, Sean Emmett said:

As the players tried to take the field, the sprinkler refused to yield

20240310_133144.jpg

Sprayed it around nicely, but not very mobile.  Reminded me if Tony Fitzpatrick!

4 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Don't agree they were exactly what we find a problem with.

No, sorry, you’re confusing a team that passes it with a team that sits in a low-block.  If you allow a team to sit in a low-block then of course they’re hard to break down.  So guess what, you try to do things quickly or pass between the lines to stop them setting their defence.  We showed in the last 20 mins or so, how you disrupt a team like this both when they had the ball and when we did.  My question is why waste 60-70 mins until you do so.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

For all that we were mostly poor today,how about Swansea? Go 1-0 down and then play exactly the same for the last 20 minutes. Definitely no plan B from them.

Martin > Manning

Williams was Martin’s assistant at MKD and Swansea.

Theres a theme!

3 hours ago, hollydog said:

Never underestimate the psychological boost of a win but that was a hard watch. i thought we were promised front foot attacking football but instead i see us slowing the game down at every opportunity. Max took an age over his goal kicks and when Pring was subbed he took an age to walk off (didn’t exit the pitch at the closest point) Talk about letting the opposition know you have zero confidence. We’re the bloody home team fgs!

Agree, and although I’m in critical mode at the mo’ I do pay some thoughts to fragile confidence from 4 defeats…and the reverse from a win.  Please, I hope today’s result aids the future.

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Think the ref was making up the rules as he went along, joke most of the free kicks he was giving. Not sure who's performance was worse ours or the refs (ref shaded it as he was sh1t all game, but we improved)

Can’t believe I got to pg28 before I read this.  Donohue was effing terrible.  Thought I was gonna get told off by the steward in my section for a bit of coarse language at times.

@GrahamC I’m disappointed you’ve downed tools on this.  No contract for you in the summer.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Only Reading MDT (Match Day / Mother’s Day thread) back now at 19:30

Was so evident wasn’t it?  It wasn’t as if we were even lulling them into one of our triggered presses and getting picked off.  We know Grimes will get on the ball, but we did nothing to stop him.  As the half wore on you sensed they might open us up, but luckily Ronald had his Ronald McDonald boots on (that corner 🤣🤣🤣).

Was just a pure block, no press.  Conway and Knight are so wasted doing that.  

Yeah and that's a Manning tactical decision that I really didn't like. 

They've obviously done their analysis, and I presume (your thoughts?) have come to the conclusion that if you block Swansea's centre backs and let them keep the ball just inside their own half, that they will struggle to find a way out and give us a chance of a turnover. What actually happened is that they got the ball out wide, often with a midfield option inside.

But there were 2/3 occasions when we eventually stalked them back towards their goal and they panicked. So maybe a full on stalky press would have been much better all along. It definitely would have engaged the crowd a bit. 

So Manning missed a trick there big time imo. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Martin > Manning

Williams was Martin’s assistant at MKD and Swansea.

Theres a theme!

Agree, and although I’m in critical mode at the mo’ I do pay some thoughts to fragile confidence from 4 defeats…and the reverse from a win.  Please, I hope today’s result aids the future.

Can’t believe I got to pg28 before I read this.  Donohue was effing terrible.  Thought I was gonna get told off by the steward in my section for a bit of coarse language at times.

@GrahamC I’m disappointed you’ve downed tools on this.  No contract for you in the summer.

How we missed Keith Stroud!

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

Completely agree. I'm embarrassed by some of the comments on here. 

We've had a bad run. Lots of teams do. Has Manning taken us backwards? Yes.

But none of us know if it's short term or long term.

I for one am going to carry on being positive and supporting the team in the hope that, over time, Manning comes good. Might not, but I can't do all this negative sh*t all the time.

One thing that won't help the players, is this level of negativity and booing. No wonder Williams reacted today. From what I saw, there was no lack of effort.

I really don't care that Manning isn't telling jokes in the press conferences.

I don't know if he'll turn it around but I would love to see how some of the posters on here would struggle to accept it.

We all have an opinion and quite frankly the football is boring and negative hence no why you feel embarrassed by the comments is your problem.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Superjack said:

Yet another reason to hate Pulis. Because he is always held up as some sort of benchmark. "Nothing can be that bad, because Pulis was worse".

I sat through the Pulis era, and it doesn't seem to me that this bloke is much better. 

Say what you like about Pulis, the football may have been as boring as what we have now, but the bloke certainly wasn't.

The Pulis era was terrible. 

Yesterday had very similar vibes to it. 

I think what is worse now is that we don't have players like Carl Hutchings. We have decent players that are capable of playing much better but the guy in charge now just can't unlock that.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The Pulis era was terrible. 

Yesterday had very similar vibes to it. 

I think what is worse now is that we don't have players like Carl Hutchings. We have decent players that are capable of playing much better but the guy in charge now just can't unlock that.

That first half was an absolute shambles of turgid non football , we seemed to have set up to make it that way. Possibly the worst half of football in living memory , or QPR if you went up there this year.

8 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Awful 1st half, but the subs of Sykes and Roberts changed the game and got us a much needed 3 points, hopefully will take some of the pressure off the players and start playing with a bit of freedom again as some had started to look like they were hiding on the pitch.

How can the players start playing with a bit of freedom. Liam has them confused.

21 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Did you attend today?

No, I went to the pictures...not really fam around for Mothers Day. Plus Spurs beating Villa and a great match Man City and Liverpool, and with City winning a great day...until you read OTIB and you realise nothing has really changed still dripping misery on here.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One of the kids was still being held by the stewards / security as we exited the SS.  They were obviously waiting to “repatriate” them with a parent.  Youngster tried to make another run for it, but got caught again.

Whats the score….banning order?  And for parent?

Force them to watch Manning on the grass for 10 weeks and listen to his PowerPoint presentations.

37 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

what  done my head in after the game was both managers said we did well first half. id hate to think how bad its got to get before they think its crap

One manager coming into an away match, a “derby”, expecting a barrage of pressure….and finding his side knocking it about calmly, playing so well, we couldn’t even get close (we didn’t try), might have that view that it was a successful half, I guess?  Why they didn’t go for our jugular I really don’t know.

4 hours ago, City oz said:

How can the players start playing with a bit of freedom. Liam has them confused.

Blimey this OTIB epidemic has reached Aus...honestly what the hell do we know just what the players are thinking?

13 hours ago, pillred said:

Or half full if you're cotswoldred2.

Well yes indeed, glass half full always, without belief what is the point in doing anything in life? From a belief comes attainment and success ...look at Pep's and Klopp' take on it...but the Bristol way is I am afraid is very defeatist ...why that is I don't know, I was born in Bristol and left the area to join the RAF at 18, perhaps that 'saved' me. 

Perhaps we can now kick on and win a few, (more), 9 games = 27 points on offer we could just about get 6th even allowing for a defeat and a draw.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Or just genuine concern from fans?

Yep I get it really, but it's still too early yet to pull the trigger imo. Let's hope for a few good performances in the run in, but overall I had greater expectations with Manning given his last appointment, but I will say we haven't suffered heavy defeats and been in all the games thus far, I really don't think we are a million miles away from where we want to be. 

These runs do happen, look at Blackburn at the moment, what is it 6 defeats on the bounce?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

• Flames 1
On 10/03/2024 at 15:26, steviestevieneville said:

**** me . Are you blind ? That was abysmal as has most of the football under manning . We will get relegated with him in charge next season . 

I give you West Ham 'Boro, Saints  Forest off the top ... and although there have been some poor games to take this stance is well just underlines what I am saying about Doom mongering on here, he inherited a paper thin squad with the best talent flogged off and not replaced, and yet we won't get relegated this season or next. 

IF he get the sack just who the Hell do we turn to anyway? Because for the life of me I can't think of anyone and no can anyone on here too...unless you can.🤔

2 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Yep I get it really, but it's still too early yet to pull the trigger imo. Let's hope for a few good performances in the run in, but overall I had greater expectations with Manning given his last appointment, but I will say we haven't suffered heavy defeats and been in all the games thus far, I really don't think we are a million miles away from where we want to be. 

These runs do happen, look at Blackburn at the moment, what is it 6 defeats on the bounce?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Interesting choice in mentioning Blackburn - sold their talented young CM - Adam Wharton on Feb 1st.

image.png.4fbec169b18e75d6ecd978d5604d23a7.png

Why the relevance of Wharton?  Because I saw him as being the most-Alex Scott type young player in the championship.

and they didn’t replace him, even let Travis go out on loan too.

You might argue they sabotaged their season!  JDT sacked 8 days later.  Although I quite like Eustace.

Manning more or less said in his post match interview that the plan(?) was not to lose the game.That first half of non football bore this out.Then with about 20 minutes left,we seemed to realise that Swansea weren’t really up to much,and when we  started getting the ball forward a lot quicker,we created about 3 or 4 good chances,the atmosphere noticeably picked up(no coincidence there),as they say ‘it ain’t rocket science.