IGNORED

Tinnion on SotC

1960maaan

On two individual points thinking a bit further..

1) In some ways 10 points better off can be useful, but it can also be unambitious. For someone who is less than discreet he didn't go into this very well- did Tinnion mean season on season, did he mean +10 from here ie right in the mix for the playoffs, +10 from our last completed season etc.

Top 2 would be unrealistic with the Parachute model IMO- albeit clubs can emerge from the pack but a fine line between Optimism and Ambition and a Cynical Sales Pitch.

2) Possibly we couldn't have spent as much as Coventry as they also had 2 years of lower losses vs our £50m to add to their big sales this year. Could we have spent more than we did, maybe 2 of star quality to top off the squad, two marquee loans back in August? Absolutely..should we have done? Absolutely.

23 minutes ago, David Brent said:

For me, the most disappointing comment from BT is that Liam is still learning.

How are we in the position where we’ve got a Head Coach, a Technical Director and a Chairman all learning on the job? 

The scary thing is, who the hell are they learning from? 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

Two life lessons I’ve learnt relevant to high level positions in big organisations:-

1) work hard, but most importantly, work smart

2) continually challenge yourself and improve, but know your ultimate limitations 

You’ll always get opportunities in life, be ‘head hunted’ etc but sometimes you have to be honest with yourself, be the judge of your own competence levels. It is hard to turn £££ jobs down and, from my experience, even harder to deliberately **** up interviews, but you live only once. Quality of life is far more important than prestige, mega-bucks and a fancy car. 

May not apply to all, but just saying like ….. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

54 minutes ago, David Brent said:

For me, the most disappointing comment from BT is that Liam is still learning.

How are we in the position where we’ve got a Head Coach, a Technical Director and a Chairman all learning on the job? 

Learning is a life-long process. Pep's still learning, everyone should be. I'm still learning after doing my job for 23 years. The world changes, you need to change with it. I don't see a problem in this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Two life lessons I’ve learnt relevant to high level positions in big organisations:-

2) continually challenge yourself and improve, but know your ultimate limitations 

You’ll always get opportunities in life, be ‘head hunted’ etc but sometimes you have to be honest with yourself, be the judge of your own competence levels.

That's absolutely true. I have had opportunities to advance, but I know my limits and limitations, so I don't try and be something I'm not. 

I do, however, constantly learn, adapt and develop my skills.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

Learning is a life-long process. Pep's still learning, everyone should be. I'm still learning after doing my job for 23 years. The world changes, you need to change with it. I don't see a problem in this.

True but an organisation really benefits when everyone in it isn’t still wearing L plates.

A balance of experienced, subject matter experts & people growing into their role is preferable.

Tinnion in the Academy role was clearly the former but he’s now wildly over promoted & out of his depth.

Don’t worry we have a chairman with an incredible CV to help him out, eh?

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

True but an organisation really benefits when everyone in it isn’t still wearing L plates.

A balance of experienced, subject matter experts & people growing into their role is preferable.

Tinnion in the Academy role was clearly the former but he’s now wildly over promoted & out of his depth.

Don’t worry we have a chairman with an incredible CV to help him out, eh?

Your point is well made. There's "learning and developing" and then there's "clueless and hopeless"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, and with that experience and nous, young and inexperienced members of the team can really flourish.

Gary O'Neil had never taken charge of a football team until 2021 and not a first team until August 2022 - 18 months ago.

He might be named Premier League manager of the season, and he did a pretty bloody good job at Bournemouth last season too. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Agreed but Tinnion has been learning about football for 30 years (my estimate as he doesn't like to talk about it😉) but I don't see much evidence that he has learned the skills for the job.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

So who is Liam learning from? Managers who beat him? Cause it sure as hell isn’t anyone at the club, is it!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

19 hours ago, The Coach said:

“Haven’t filled first team bench with youth due to youth cup matches.”

“Young players out on loan had their opportunities for first team but have missed their opportunities.”

Is Seb included in this thinking?

30 minutes ago, RedRock said:

You’ll always get opportunities in life, be ‘head hunted’ etc but sometimes you have to be honest with yourself, be the judge of your own competence levels. It is hard to turn £££ jobs down and, from my experience, even harder to deliberately **** up interviews, but you live only once. Quality of life is far more important than prestige, mega-bucks and a fancy car. 

May not apply to all, but just saying like ….. 

Totally agree. What scares me the most is Tinnion actually believes he is the right man for the job, the line of 'i have earnt this role' (or words to that effect) really did summarise how delusional the man is.

This has also got me thinking, what do we think Tinnion is on salary wise now?...Wouldn't at all surprise me if he is earning more now than he ever did earn here as a player. The money is undoubtedly a huge factor in him 'giving it a go' IMO.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Redhed123 said:

Is Seb included in this thinking?

Nope. Hes on about ones they have decided aren’t going to make the grade and need to move on. It was possibly clumsily worded but one of the least “controversial” bits of the interview.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Totally agree. It's actually quite scary that Tinnion actually believes he is the right man for the job, the line of 'i have earnt this role' (or words to that effect) really did summarise how delusional the man is.

This has also got me thinking, what do we think Tinnion is on salary wise now?...Wouldn't at all surprise me if he is earning more now than he ever did earn here as a player. The money is undoubtedly a huge factor in him 'giving it a go' IMO.

Comfortably six figures. Mark Ashton was on over £300k pa and whilst I doubt they're paying Tinnion that, it may not be a million miles off. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I don’t have a problem with “lifelong learning”. I am sure anybody doing any role can and should learn as they go along. The real issue is whether they met an appropriate standard to do the job in the first place, and what experience they had. That defines what they might need to learn. Then we get into “is the person learning and are they applying it?” If there are questions about individuals at the club regarding the minimum requirements, there are certainly concerns about anything being learnt and from whom!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

So who is Liam learning from? Managers who beat him? Cause it sure as hell isn’t anyone at the club, is it!

And there’s your nutshell as has been said.

FWIW (and it’s not for this thread) I think Liam is pretty single minded in what he wants and how he views the game. I’m not sure how much he’d necessarily welcome an old head who may be available as a contrarian (see the “Does he need help” thread)

But working on the basis that he would benefit from it and be open to it, it’s a fatal flaw that a) it’s Tinnion and b) Tinnions remit is too wide ranging and outside his skill level to be able to provide the correct support

Manager “learning” - fine

Tech Director “learning” - fine as long as focussed 

Both learning together? Not a great thing as no support for the manager

The more I think about it, the more laughable and downright alarming it is that he is in this position.

*Disclosing Undisclosed fees on the radio! 😱

*Proclaiming that at the HPC post Southampton the staff wwre rubbing their hands at the upcoming fixture list. 😱

Commercial Confidentiality and in-house for good reason I'd have thought but seemingly not??

His at best flexibility on playoffs (4 points not 3, having played a game more than 5th and 6th) and the McKenna win ratio two other 'highlights'...

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Yes, in a philosophical sense but when a certain skill set is required to do your job you don't have time to learn those skills, especially if you are supposedly employed to hit the ground running. I don't expect BT meant what you describe. 

14 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Totally agree. What scares me the most is Tinnion actually believes he is the right man for the job, the line of 'i have earnt this role' (or words to that effect) really did summarise how delusional the man is.

Undisclosed fee

• Haha 1

I said a couple of months back it's always felt like when the club talk about the academy and pathway:

The emphasis is on producing players to sell to the premier league... 

and therefore to take all the plaudits and say ooh look we sold X for ££££££££ aren't we good - rather than

Producing players to build a squad to get Bristol City to the premier league...

This stuff about coming out about the FA youth cup kind of proves that doesn't it. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Honestly, I'm expecting that Deadpool fella to rock up next.

I'm amazed SL isn't looking at a Netflix doco or similar, just to stroke his ego some more.

Maybe get Tony Robinson in to 'motivate' the team.

Parade the 2024 Youth Trophy around Bedminster.

Lansdown has lost the plot.

What does he want from the club?

The Team?

The Fans?

To be revered?  Loved?  Worshiped?

To be remembered I'd guess. 

Why so important, why so important now?

I stand by what I said 10 months ago.

I suspect SL is unwell, and trying one last time to leave 'a legacy to be remembered for' before he sells up.

You had it Steve.

Nigel Pearson. He cleaned up your mess, balanced the books and made us all proud.

Then you ****** him over - and for what?

To be remembered in this way?

A selfish old man who wants to have something, anything, to hang his hat on before its too late....

You will be remembered poorly Steve, and that's on you.

It didn't have to be this way.

Edited by The Constant Rabbit
  • Like 1
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Piercy has got his piece up now - kudos to JP for putting “community notes” amongst Tinnions speeches to correct him…

Notably not much around the youth piece so I expect he’s planning a second bit on that:

“It was a tough one on Sunday. We’ve got a young squad of players, Rob Dickie at 27 was the oldest player on the pitch [note: Dickie turned 28 earlier this month, the same age as Harry Cornick]”

peter capaldi GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I've been trying to avoid this thread a little while to avoid the hysteria, but nothing has really calmed down. Again like before, it's not really anger on my side, more apathy. Apathy knowing that we will likely tread water in the middle of the Championship for another 10 years, barring the odd flirt with relegation, unless something changes. And let's face it, that position for a club of our size isn't that bad, but it is frustrating when it's seemingly some shoddy mismanagement holding us back.

Based on what others have said, it seems we have a very... distinct shall we say, corporate and management setup. I've said it before and I'll say it again, shell out some money on getting 3 experts into the correct roles, and actually listen to them and actually empower them, and I guarantee the owners will get a much better return on their investment.

A manager who knows what he's doing (at one point we had one of those!), a proper COO or CEO who can run the club appropriately (we also had one of those!), and then another head of the academy and/or player recruitment - not just jobs for mates or pretending roles no longer exist. And to be completely fair and transparent here, I think Tins has proven that he would be a solid shout for that third academy/recruitment job. But only that third job.

I didn't listen admittedly but I've got the vibe from this thread. Just pure apathy now, waiting until something changes, whatever that may be.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Comfortably six figures. Mark Ashton was on over £300k pa and whilst I doubt they're paying Tinnion that, it may not be a million miles off. 

Yeah, was gonna say at least £150k p.a.

Ashton earned £540,897 in 2018/19 😮😮😮

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, and with that experience and nous, young and inexperienced members of the team can really flourish.

Gary O'Neil had never taken charge of a football team until 2021 and not a first team until August 2022 - 18 months ago.

He might be named Premier League manager of the season, and he did a pretty bloody good job at Bournemouth last season too. 

100%, but I’ll wager their CEO isn’t a moron & their chairman in the position because his Dad is super wealthy.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Wish he would give the same message to LM

Lam made a point of making it public.  Pearson also made a 'discussion' with JL public.  They both know what they’re doing with the media. 

Don't think Manning really does which leads me to think we'd not hear about it if it did happen.

• Like 3