IGNORED

Cheltenham 2024

Ziderarmy

• Admin

Haven't a scooby about horse racing, but entered the following into a sweepstake to see who can pick the most winners

13:30  SLADE STEEL

14:10  HUNTERS YARN

14:50  THE GOFFER

15:30  STATE MAN

16:10  LOSSIEMOUTH

16:50  MILAN TINO

17:30  EMBASSY GARDENS

I had a lovely start with Chianti Clasico, State Man and Lossiemouth yesterday, on top of money back from Firefox. 

Ballyburn landed a tasty trixie (3 doubles and one treble with State Man and Lossiemouth), and Black Bamboo returned an ew profit in the Coral Cup.

If Galopin wins on Friday, that will be a four-figure payout 🤞🏻

• Like 1

I 've had a record strike rate all-ready so far, but I find it a bit ....meh, too many odds-on shots and Mullins saturation . The only ones I'm really proud of picking were Chianti Clasico and Captain Guinness, the others I had were simply "buying money" !  Still, it all goes in the bone bag .

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Edited by slartibartfast

7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I 've had a record strike rate all-ready so far, but I find it a bit ....meh, too many odds-on shots and Mullins saturation . The only ones I'm really proud of picking were Chianti Clasico and Captain Guinness, the others I had were simply "buying money" !  Still, it all goes in the bone bag .

The issue is the racing is not even competitive so it’s been boring, the majority of G1s have been a procession. It’s no different in Ireland either, it’s not Irish dominance, it’s Willie Mullins dominance, i can’t remember exact figures, but over the G1s at DRF and chelt, Mullins has won something like 12/14 of them. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

The issue is the racing is not even competitive so it’s been boring, the majority of G1s have been a procession. It’s no different in Ireland either, it’s not Irish dominance, it’s Willie Mullins dominance, i can’t remember exact figures, but over the G1s at DRF and chelt, Mullins has won something like 12/14 of them. 

Mullins is the Red Bull of horse racing it seems. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Good day for the footy managers. Sir Alex had shares in 2 of the winners and Harry Redknapp owned another. 

Better day for the English trained horses.

Big Sam there celebrating too. Pints of wine and brown envelopes all round!

Normal service resumes today with another Mullins yawnfest. 

21 hours ago, frenchred said:

Cheltenham is certainly not what it was, crowds down and uncompetitive racing

I have my own ideas/reasons for the dwindling crowds, anybody else have any opinions?

Cost of living.

Standard of racing.

Ridiculous cost of food and drink.

Ticket prices.

Transport.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ziderarmy said:

Cost of living.

Standard of racing.

Ridiculous cost of food and drink.

Ticket prices.

Transport.

I'd add stupid rules and regs while there, one in one out etc, no beer outside the tents!

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I'd add stupid rules and regs while there, one in one out etc, no beer outside the tents!

I usually go tattersalls, but that’s got stupidly busy so now usually go Club, but even that is full of assholes. It’s not the day out it was say 15 years ago. 

Edited by Ziderarmy
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ziderarmy said:

I usually go tattersalls, but that’s got stupidly busy so now usually go Club, but even that is full of assholes. It’s not the day out it was say 15 years ago. 

Agree 100% mate

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Agree 100% mate

It’s sad but in some ways I prefer a low grade racing night out on the flat up bath. Cheap as chips, decent view, can get a decent bet on ok, nice surroundings, not ripped off, they make an effort and put bands etc on. 

5 minutes ago, Ziderarmy said:

It’s sad but in some ways I prefer a low grade racing night out on the flat up bath. Cheap as chips, decent view, can get a decent bet on ok, nice surroundings, not ripped off, they make an effort and put bands etc on. 

Me and the Mrs have done loads of smaller tracks over the last year, plumpton, Stratford, Warwick, wincanton, Exeter and ffos lad, been superb days out at reasonable cost even when going corporate!

On 15/03/2024 at 22:18, frenchred said:

I have my own ideas/reasons for the dwindling crowds, anybody else have any opinions?

I think the crowds are down as the casual race goer won’t pay the prices, of my own group only 4 of us are now attending and that used to be 10 plus. The cost of tickets and the price of beers has made it a day that they don’t think is worth the money. I was in best mate and to be fair it sounded a lot easier to get a beer over there than it did in other parts of the course. 
For me, they are going to have to do something about the races so the best horses cant avoid each other, I want to see Lossiemouth for an example in the champion hurdle rather than being able to divert to the mares and race an easier race. Both the champion hurdle and Mares were boring races as the 2 winners literally just had to get round. I know CH pulling out was a pain but I’d still like to have seen a race where the 3 best were in it. It’s also getting harder and harder to have an Ante Post bet due to having no idea where the horses will be running. 

They have some issues and need to take them seriously to ensure Cheltenham is still the premier event of the calendar (which it will remain imo), especially as the DRF, Aintree etc are both gaining in popularity.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 22:18, frenchred said:

Totally agree. Four or five of us used to go every year and don’t bother now. Tickets aren’t value, rip-off vendors, dreadful booze choices, and it increasingly attracts the arse end of Birmingham thinking they’re straight out of Peaky Blinders. 

I went to Leopardstown for the Dublin Racing Festival last year. €50 tickets for two days, easy access to most areas, no tossers, good food and drink etc. Basically, the opposite of what the Cheltenham experience has become. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 3