IGNORED

Nearly £10m spent…is it good enough ?

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It’s not just the amount of money we spend, it’s the value for money we get. 

If we had spent £200k on a striker who scored 25+ goals a season, the amount we spent wouldn’t matter.

Problem is we seem to have our pants pulled down paying over the odds for bang average players.

Exactly, compare the £1M spent on Mehmeti with the £900k Swansea  spent on Joel Piroe - a player they fished out of PSV Eindhoven's reserve team, and the £1M Coventry spent on Gyokeres who was initially in Brighton's u21's before Cov got him on loan prior to perm signing.  Brighton having found him in a Swedish second division side who's named I can't pronounce let alone write! and paid around 1M euros.

Both moved on for big profits. 

BT has said he's directing Gillespie & co to find a striker abroad but I doubt we have the network or contacts to get such value as the examples above.

• Like 1

• Admin

The quality of players are fine if we play to their strengths they were recruited for. Unfortunately we seem to be intent on playing to their weaknesses as our Head Coach isn't flexible enough to play a different way. So, we need to bin the lot and start again.

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

The quality of players are fine if we play to their strengths they were recruited for. Unfortunately we seem to be intent on playing to their weaknesses as our Head Coach isn't flexible enough to play a different way. So, we need to bin the lot and start again.

I was with you until the last sentence.

It's the Head Coach we need to bin, along with Tinnion and Jon Lansdown who at bare minimum for the last 2 we need to redeploy to positions more befitting of their talent..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Money is too tight to mention round these parts so when we do spend it, we have to spend it wisely.  With the blessing of hindsight can we really say we are where we need to be recruitment wise?  To spend £10m on the below, is it good enough?

Knight - £2m

McCrorie - £2m

Gardner-Hickman - £1.5m

Mehmeti.- £1m

Dickie - £800k

Cornick - £500k

Twine, Mebude, Stokes, Murphy - all signed for short or long term - circa £1-1.5m spent I’d guess. 

Seems a mixed bag at best to me 

Knight at times has been our best player, I guess that’s why he’s been captain. But at the moment he looks off it!

McCrorie. Who knows. The bloke has had some horrible disease. I guess we can’t judge until next season. 

Gardner-Hickman looked great until a few weeks after Manning arrived. The bloke is currently going through the motions

Mehmeti. He’s had a few flashes and the odd goal but….. Most wouldn’t care if he was in the squad or not. IMO

Dickie. Brilliant signing

Cornick has never got going. I’m not sure where he even fits if anywhere 

Who knows about the others mentioned

3 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Still see what we spent on McCrory and compare it to money spent on Tanner and cannot understand why. Tanner seems a belter option. 

Tanner is stronger defensively, mcrorie is a more powerful runner, and has a good attitude, but they have about as much goal thread as each other, which is not a lot, same as pring and roberts the other side. A decent season for joe bryan and he would get more than the 4 of them combined, and its a problem when we aren’t exactly blessed with goals from the rest of the team.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True. Journalists might have more of an idea of the present Accounts than us...struggling to square that circle. Quite a lot left in the summer too but will have been replaced with higher earners. Plus the fees etc.

Mr P, I think you do yourself a disservice.  You will have a better grip on this seasons finances for City than any journalist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When evaluating signings, think it helps if you give your rationale for each, as it’s so subjective and ambiguous at the same time.

Is it value?  Is it performance?  Is it wages?  Is it budget related etc?  Combo of everything I’d say.

We now know Dickie was £0.600m!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Knight at times has been our best player, I guess that’s why he’s been captain. But at the moment he looks off it!

McCrorie. Who knows. The bloke has had some horrible disease. I guess we can’t judge until next season. 

Gardner-Hickman looked great until a few weeks after Manning arrived. The bloke is currently going through the motions

Mehmeti. He’s had a few flashes and the odd goal but….. Most wouldn’t care if he was in the squad or not. IMO

Dickie. Brilliant signing

Cornick has never got going. I’m not sure where he even fits if anywhere 

Who knows about the others mentioned

… and therein lies our problem. Our first team recruitment aside from the very occasional gem is, frankly, abysmal. 

And if Anis and the Belgium chap were on Manning’s radar before he arrived, I’m afraid I’m joining the ‘outers’. The January window, for me, seemed just bizarre.  

Would I trust Manning/Tinnion with the transfer pot over the Summer? No way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

… and therein lies our problem. Our first team recruitment aside from the very occasional gem is, frankly, abysmal. 

And if Anis and the Belgium chap were on Manning’s radar before he arrived, I’m afraid I’m joining the ‘outers’. The January window, for me, seemed just bizarre.  

Would I trust Manning/Tinnion with the transfer pot over the Summer? No way.

I certainly agree with what you say by and large. 

Pearson clearly wasn’t that struck on Mehmeti and rarely played him. Mr Manning on the other hand likes him!

Our recruitment in this last window was bizarre. For a team with play off aspirations and a top six squad we added three kids and a bloke with a sick note. 

Its funny watching a certain podcast we had comments about this group of players not being good enough, however only four months ago some were telling us that Pearson was not getting enough out of them and was rightly fired.

The point is this here a lot of that rhetoric appears to be emanating from within the club!

Knight and TGH IMO have suffered under manning ball. Cornick can never find any form, the only outfield player in the squad that has obviously improved under Mr Manning is Dickie.  

I wouldn’t give Mr Manning anything except a road map out of Bristol tomorrow morning. Hopefully SL is starting conversations to do just that. But probably not likely. 

• Flames 1

Honestly don't think the recruitment that bad. Especially in the context of the last 2 to 3 years.

Bajic, Thomas

Tanner, McCrorie, Dickie, Atkinson, Roberts

Knight, TGH, James, Naismith, King

Sykes, Cornick, Mehmeti

Okay there are shortcomings. However some are squad players and depth, some are useful experience wise.

The cost base has been cut drastically and for 18 months we were battling to stay afloat in a combination of FFP and staying up.

Mbeude clearly a major error. Bird I think should be alright, Twine it is a shame he got injured so soon. McCrorie also got injured early on and was out for half a season or so.

Out in the same period:

Bentley

Hunt, Kalas, Baker, Cundy, Klose, DaSilva

Nagy, Massengo, Scott, Lansbury

Watkins, Adelakun

Palmer

Diedhiou, Martin, Semenyo

Haikin and Wilson came and went, both relatively low cost.

Weimann loaned out hastening his probable departure.

Unsure when exactly Mawson and Sessegnon recalled.

2-3 light probably. Probably some In and Out I've forgotten too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

@Mr Popodopolous Mawson had his loan spell cancelled early on in Pearson’s time to allow him to accommodate Danny Simpson in the squad (April ‘21) & Steven Sessegnon saw that season out before his loan spell ended.

Like you I don’t think overall our recent recruitment prior to January has been too bad.

There seems to be a lot of revisionism over McCrorie & Mehmeti in particular of late following our poor run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah to add having just checked:

Simpson, Moore, Mariappa, Rowe

Walsh

O'Dowda, Paterson 

Gilmartin, Wollacott & various youngsters who had briefly featured like Opi Edwards, Louis Britton as well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Gilmartin, Wollacott & various youngsters who had briefly featured like Opi Edwards, Louis Britton as well.

Forgot Gilmartin!

I wasn't really thinking of the younger players at this point, but yes them too. Those you list plus Towler, Morton, that one we sold to Wycombe et al.

Quite the clearout really. Definitely 2-3 plus perhaps a real challenger to Max with 2-3 to be removed from the GK department.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Money is too tight to mention round these parts so when we do spend it, we have to spend it wisely.  With the blessing of hindsight can we really say we are where we need to be recruitment wise?  To spend £10m on the below, is it good enough?

Knight - £2m

McCrorie - £2m

Gardner-Hickman - £1.5m

Mehmeti.- £1m

Dickie - £800k

Cornick - £500k

Twine, Mebude, Stokes, Murphy - all signed for short or long term - circa £1-1.5m spent I’d guess. 

Seems a mixed bag at best to me 

I like Knight but I think hes been messed around positionally. McCrorie gets a pass pro tem. TGH jury out.

Dickie fantastic business.

Mehmeti crap, Cornick not sure why we signed but puts a shift in.

Mixed bag indeed but who was/is scouting?

Twine Mebude..why?

Stokes and Murphy punts based on some reaearch, possibly reading otib 😁

Edited by Natchfever

• Admin
On 17/03/2024 at 13:40, Mr Popodopolous said:

I was with you until the last sentence.

It's the Head Coach we need to bin, along with Tinnion and Jon Lansdown who at bare minimum for the last 2 we need to redeploy to positions more befitting of their talent..

I know. I was being facetious.

• Thanks 1