IGNORED

Nearly £10m spent…is it good enough ?

Money is too tight to mention round these parts so when we do spend it, we have to spend it wisely.  With the blessing of hindsight can we really say we are where we need to be recruitment wise?  To spend £10m on the below, is it good enough?

Knight - £2m

McCrorie - £2m

Gardner-Hickman - £1.5m

Mehmeti.- £1m

Dickie - £800k

Cornick - £500k

Twine, Mebude, Stokes, Murphy - all signed for short or long term - circa £1-1.5m spent I’d guess. 

Seems a mixed bag at best to me 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Money is too tight to mention round these parts so when we do spend it, we have to spend it wisely.  With the blessing of hindsight can we really say we are where we need to be recruitment wise?  To spend £10m on the below, is it good enough?

Knight - £2m

McCrorie - £2m

Gardner-Hickman - £1.5m

Mehmeti.- £1m

Dickie - £800k

Cornick - £500k

Twine, Mebude, Stokes, Murphy - all signed for short or long term - circa £1-1.5m spent I’d guess. 

Compared to income from players sold over the last five years, it definitely is not good enough.

I still think it’s early days on McCrorie. I like his intent though, he’s the one that’s always looking forward.

Knight and Dickie have been good signings. The others though have been disappointing overall. TGH has showed glimpses but hasn’t done enough for me to be honest.

It doesn’t help that we’ve got a coaching team that won’t release the shackles though…

• Like 2

Depends. This is down the old hit or miss route.

If you categorise them, I’d argue that Dickie and Knight have been undoubted successes. 

For Stokes and Murphy (and you missed Bird) you can’t say as they’re not even here, so I’d leave them out of any analysis.

Jury out on McCrorie and TGH

Mehemeti waste of space 

Two loans in January pointless

Cornick I still maintain did the job he was brought into do as a squad player at that price. He wasn’t brought in to “improve” the starting XI

So, of the permanent for me it’s two hits, two jury out, one undoubted miss and one arguable and I can see both sides. Could you spend £10m better? Probably. But if we’d spent £6m on Knight and Dickie it’d still be a good deal so overall I think it’s broadly ok.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Knight - £2m

McCrorie - £2m

Gardner-Hickman - £1.5m

Mehmeti.- £1m

Dickie - £800k

Cornick - £500k

Another (frightening) way of looking at it would be…. What’s that £10m worth today? How many have increased in value? How many have made no progress? How many are worth less? I’d suggest it’s not money well spent. The “trading” ain’t going well. 

• Like 1

Coventry reaping the awards for investing well. Took a while to get going but doing well now. Oh to replicate that feeling they must of felt yesterday . Considering what we brought in, I’d say we’ve gone backwards but thank god for that nest egg. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Depends. This is down the old hit or miss route.

If you categorise them, I’d argue that Dickie and Knight have been undoubted successes. 

For Stokes and Murphy (and you missed Bird) you can’t say as they’re not even here, so I’d leave them out of any analysis.

Jury out on McCrorie and TGH

Mehemeti waste of space 

Two loans in January pointless

Cornick I still maintain did the job he was brought into do as a squad player at that price. He wasn’t brought in to “improve” the starting XI

So, of the permanent for me it’s two hits, two jury out, one undoubted miss and one arguable and I can see both sides. Could you spend £10m better? Probably. But if we’d spent £6m on Knight and Dickie it’d still be a good deal so overall I think it’s broadly ok.

Perfect assessment with no disputes at all from me. As another pointed out 'trading' hasnt gone particularly badly recently though there are many ways of looking at it. Getting to B'ham very early yesterday a large group of us dissected exactly these players above and some felt Alexander rather than Pearson had messed up with Anis but an almost unanamous agreement with your view; - wow, that's unusual!. Fact is we miss Mark Ashton but 'Super Traderes' dont come along and we were lucky enough to have him for 6 years (apparenly JL over-ruling him by recruiting Pearson was the reason?). Since then with the after-affects of Covid, SL quite rightly not wanting to personally subsidize us as much as he has, and the market generally I'd add it has been hard to trade well so .."OK but great" would be my summary.

And as for those jokers wanting to encourage others not to renew STs (dont even get me started), just think what kind of money we will have if we dont get ST money in early? For the genius who came up with that post, he was probably far, far too wise to even go to WBA, then advise to Constant Robin, is just do what you like, dont try to influence sheep with your stupid, financially naive ideas.

BTW, I hear Reading are getting even closer to their final chapter this week so be careful what you want with replacing people who have played/watched more than most on this forum with people you've never heard of!

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 4

33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Knight - £2m

McCrorie - £2m

Gardner-Hickman - £1.5m

Mehmeti.- £1m

Dickie - £800k

Cornick - £500k

What's your thoughts on Sykes :thumbsup:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Another (frightening) way of looking at it would be…. What’s that £10m worth today? How many have increased in value? How many have made no progress? How many are worth less? I’d suggest it’s not money well spent. The “trading” ain’t going well. 

Another, another, way of looking at it is how much is Conway worth now? The longer he plays in this system the worse his goal scoring percentage gets. I’m sure other clubs will realise his potential but if he doesn’t sign a new contract in the summer he may be sold for a bargain (for the buying club) fee

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

32 minutes ago, Jose said:

Coventry reaping the awards for investing well. Took a while to get going but doing well now. Oh to replicate that feeling they must of felt yesterday . Considering what we brought in, I’d say we’ve gone backwards but thank god for that nest egg. 

To be fair tho their route to the semi final was Oxford, Sheffield Wednesday, Maidstone, Wolves. 

If they don't make play offs having spent circa 25 million plus wages then that has to be considered a failure. 

54 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Knight - £2m

McCrorie - £2m

Gardner-Hickman - £1.5m

Mehmeti.- £1m

Dickie - £800k

Cornick - £500k

Still see what we spent on McCrory and compare it to money spent on Tanner and cannot understand why. Tanner seems a belter option. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

To be fair tho their route to the semi final was Oxford, Sheffield Wednesday, Maidstone, Wolves. 

If they don't make play offs having spent circa 25 million plus wages then that has to be considered a failure. 

They lost their two best players, spent less on replacements (though a significant amount), and maintained the depth & quality of their squad. They're in the fa cup semi-final, so that's decent income, aside from the kudos and feel good factor for their fans. If they don't quite make the play-offs, at least they are there or thereabouts.

Let's face it they are another team that have gone through hardship, and come out the other end better than us. We'll be meh at best until something dramatic happens.

• Flames 1

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He was a free wasn’t he? Decent player. Same as Roberts, another free.  Didn’t include as they cost nothing and the thread was about when we spend money.  👍

Free transfers aren’t ‘free’ 

It’s still us spending money 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Jose said:

Just been listening to a piece on the radio regarding Coventry which stated they are 18th in the Championship regarding budget

1 minute ago, Mike Stone said:

Just been listening to a piece on the radio regarding Coventry which stated they are 18th in the Championship regarding budget

Really? I find that hard to believe. That said, makes our business and performance look even worse. 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

No chance. I would imagine though that their budget is somewhat comparable to what we had a few years afo

• Like 2

It’s not just the amount of money we spend, it’s the value for money we get. 

If we had spent £200k on a striker who scored 25+ goals a season, the amount we spent wouldn’t matter.

Problem is we seem to have our pants pulled down paying over the odds for bang average players. McCorie was unlucky with his health, we will see next season if that was £2m well spent. Knight is a bit hit and miss for me. I think the amount of energy he put in earlier in the season is starting to show. The rest of the signings still have huge question marks against them with the exception of Dickie who represents the best value for money.

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

No chance. I would imagine though that their budget is somewhat comparable to what we had a few years afo

Well they cashed in on Gyokees and Hamer for around £35 million and reinvested on Wright, Simms and four others for around £28 million give or take a few quid.

Still hard to believe mind

20 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

Based on which year. If 2022-23 maybe but they've surely upped it somewhat this year.

Then again Cardiff had a surprisingly oddly low wage bill last season..£14-15m on the the Football side and £22m all in if you can believe it. Mind you they did nearly go down.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Based on which year. If 2022-23 maybe but they've surely upped it somewhat this year.

Then again Cardiff had a surprisingly oddly low wage bill last season..£14-15m on the the Football side and £22m all in if you can believe it. Mind you they did nearly go down.

I did find it very strange when it was quoted, but as it was on the radio i naturally thought it would be this year

Just now, Mike Stone said:

I did find it very strange when it was quoted, but as it was on the radio i naturally thought it would be this year

True. Journalists might have more of an idea of the present Accounts than us...struggling to square that circle. Quite a lot left in the summer too but will have been replaced with higher earners. Plus the fees etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True. Journalists might have more of an idea of the present Accounts than us...struggling to square that circle. Quite a lot left in the summer too but will have been replaced with higher earners. Plus the fees etc.

No way at all did Coventry have the 18th lowest budget last season. 

I'd also imagine that following their summer expenditure their wage bill has gone up quite considerably this season. 

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No way at all did Coventry have the 18th lowest budget last season. 

I'd also imagine that following their summer expenditure their wage bill has gone up quite considerably this season. 

Screenshot_20240317_124920_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.491c2648b1394e0db73e1d7f003dbc96.jpg

Just now, Mike Stone said:

Screenshot_20240317_124920_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.491c2648b1394e0db73e1d7f003dbc96.jpg

Found on planet football, not sure how reliable that is mind