IGNORED

Fans Memorial Day Vs Leicester

This is something I’ve long advocated for, and was done very well post pandemic by the club. The issue with the minutes applause is that they can lose impact although I do think they clearly are a comfort to families - for me though they’re better kept to things like Max and Mason.

My only bugbear here is putting this out on Tuesday pm and asking for names by Thursday. It seems a bit hamfisted in planning even though the intent is right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Agree, brilliant idea but a ridiculously short amount of time to submit details.

If this does become an annual thing (& it should) hopefully this can be ironed out.

Shouldn’t be done at half time either, when everyone is off having a pint and/or a piss. 

Before the teams run out probably best time for it. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

I remember when we played Brighton when they thought they were going to win the league they did this and thought it was a far classier way of doing it then some muted minutes applause every few games 

Think Brighton did theirs pre match as well so it didn’t feel rushed 

Edited by East Londoner
  • Like 1

• Admin
16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree, brilliant idea but a ridiculously short amount of time to submit details.

If this does become an annual thing (& it should) hopefully this can be ironed out.

I do know that people that have contacted the club previously about people passing have already been contacted by the club, this isn't literally starting from scratch today, the wheels have been in motion aiming for this day for a long time

Though even so, I do agree that it is poor to only be advising two days in advance

Going forward though this is the clubs planned way of remembering those who have passed rather than having an applause or picture most games

Obviously there will be times where there will be a recognition after a passing

13 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Shouldn’t be done at half time either, when everyone is off having a pint and/or a piss. 

Before the teams run out probably best time for it. 

The simply answer to this is that the time before kick off is very controlled and regimented and we would have to get prior approval from the FA, the opposition to amend the pre-match routine

At least we know about it in advance so anyone wanting to pay their respects am sure can miss a half time drink etc for one game

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but externally I was asked about why the club were not accepting pictures of people that passed away this time around, the sad reason is that last time we did this there were a number of pictures submitted of people that were still alive and obviously caused great upset

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I do know that people that have contacted the club previously about people passing have already been contacted by the club, this isn't literally starting from scratch today, the wheels have been in motion aiming for this day for a long time

Though even so, I do agree that it is poor to only be advising two days in advance

Going forward though this is the clubs planned way of remembering those who have passed rather than having an applause or picture most games

Obviously there will be times where there will be a recognition after a passing

The simply answer to this is that the time before kick off is very controlled and regimented and we would have to get prior approval from the FA, the opposition to amend the pre-match routine

At least we know about it in advance so anyone wanting to pay their respects am sure can miss a half time drink etc for one game

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but externally I was asked about why the club were not accepting pictures of people that passed away this time around, the sad reason is that last time we did this there were a number of pictures submitted of people that were still alive and obviously caused great upset

As I said Phants, undoubtedly the right thing to do. I don’t like the minutes applause for a lot of reasons - it can be interrupted easily, can disrupt flow on the pitch and can create a false hierarchy - there are likely to be fans who feel aggrieved their loved ones don’t get the applause as they’re not as hot on social media but it doesn’t mean they loved the club less.

I think it was a Swansea game post pandemic when we did this on a Friday night. There were “forever red” flyers printed with photos of the lost, their names were on the advertising hoardings during a minutes applause pre match and photos on the big screen an hour and half hour before kick off. It was really well done. Acknowledge the point about people sickly submitting photos of the living but not sure the few should ruin it for the many and I’d like to see photos return. My dad and a friend were amongst those lost and seeing them at AG even in photo form one last time meant a lot.

Great thing to do - but let’s make it as good as possible and the notice as you say is poor. Hopefully can be better planned next year.

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

• Admin
34 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why do it at half time when very few people are actually in the stadium bowl? 

Just have one game a season with a one minutes applause before the game with a video montage. Simple. 

See my reply above 

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As I said Phants, undoubtedly the right thing to do. I don’t like the minutes applause for a lot of reasons - it can be interrupted easily, can disrupt flow on the pitch and can create a false hierarchy - there are likely to be fans who feel aggrieved their loved ones don’t get the applause as they’re not as hot on social media but it doesn’t mean they loved the club less.

I think it was a Swansea game post pandemic when we did this on a Friday night. There were “forever red” flyers printed with photos of the lost, their names were on the advertising hoardings during a minutes applause pre match and photos on the big screen an hour and half hour before kick off. It was really well done. Acknowledge the point about people sickly submitting photos of the living but not sure the few should ruin it for the many and I’d like to see photos return. My dad and a friend were amongst those lost and seeing them at AG even in photo form one last time meant a lot.

Great thing to do - but let’s make it as good as possible and the notice as you say is poor. Hopefully can be better planned next year.

I'm personally disappointed because I was in conversation with someone on here and senior people in the club many weeks ago about the game being used 

I know the guy gets plenty of flack but I believe it was Downsy who took it on himself to contact people he was aware had lost someone to make them aware of this 

Like a lot of things, the club are certainly getting right but also are learning from "mistakes" 

I'm meeting with the club on Thursday about other things but if not then I'll certainly raise about a longer period of notice at the first available opportunity, especially as we're coming out of an international break where news from the club was quiter than in season 

I know the club liked photos being used but there are real concerns about the upset caused last time around 

My personal opinion is that Tom Rawcliffe is settled in his role now and is very proactive and will listen and act on as much as possible to assist supporters. Sadly with the continual changing of staff in the past months things have slipped through the net. But given time fan engagement will improve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if someone can do me a favour if possible and record the video at half time of the memorial names?

I added my brother (Martin Amos) to the list earlier but I am unable to make it. Also, just to say Thank you to the people who showed up to his funeral yesterday (City and Gas) and the kind messages received. It was busy affair and a lovely service with a few laughs aswell.

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

54 minutes ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

Millwall did theirs at the first game of the season (half time) and I couldn't believe how many names there were!

Yeh Birmingham did theirs at our away game there (they presumably use the calendar year rather than season) and it took up most of half time.

But when you look at the numbers it's not too surprising.

The annual death rate in the UK is about 1%.*

So even if you just limited it to our STholders you can reasonably expect roughly 1% to die each year, so very roughly that's 150 people each year. Even giving just two seconds to each of those people takes you to a 5 minute memorial. Of course this can't be a precise prediction of how many fans will die each year due to the demographic of a football fanbase not perfectly reflecting the demographic of the country as a whole, but it's going to be close.

These memorials can take names from the entire fanbase, not just STholders. You can see how any decent sized club will pretty easily run up a list of the dead that runs to a few hundred each season.

It also shows why a minute's applause/silence for every dead fan is impractical.

*ONS https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/2021refreshedpopulations#:~:text=The overall age-standardised mortality,) (see Figure 1).

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

Maybe it’s me but would’ve liked to see a picture of the people too so i could put a face to the name 

I did spot one nice moment in the south stand of a family who were recording for when it was their loved one’s turn and then they all embraced which was quite touching 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Maybe it’s me but would’ve liked to see a picture of the people too so i could put a face to the name 

I did spot one nice moment in the south stand of a family who were recording for when it was their loved one’s turn and then they all embraced which was quite touching 

I thought the reason why no pictures was because last time someone thought it was amusing to send in a photograph of someone who was still alive.

• Like 2

• Admin
22 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I thought the reason why no pictures was because last time someone thought it was amusing to send in a photograph of someone who was still alive.

This is exactly the reason, pretty sick attempt at humour 

For anyone who missed it 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is exactly the reason, pretty sick attempt at humour 

For anyone who missed it 

Top work Phants. As prior, let’s hope we can make it better next year and hopefully with photos, noting those who made this not possible this year aren’t worth any of our time.

Just also tagging in @RUSSEL85 so he sees.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Top work Phants. As prior, let’s hope we can make it better next year and hopefully with photos, noting those who made this not possible this year aren’t worth any of our time.

Just also tagging in @RUSSEL85 so he sees.

Thank you so much. Sent to my Mum and Dad. Really appreciated. 

• Robin 1

On 26/03/2024 at 19:34, phantom said:

I'm personally disappointed because I was in conversation with someone on here and senior people in the club many weeks ago about the game being used 

I know the guy gets plenty of flack but I believe it was Downsy who took it on himself to contact people he was aware had lost someone to make them aware of this 

Like a lot of things, the club are certainly getting right but also are learning from "mistakes" 

I'm meeting with the club on Thursday about other things but if not then I'll certainly raise about a longer period of notice at the first available opportunity, especially as we're coming out of an international break where news from the club was quiter than in season 

I know the club liked photos being used but there are real concerns about the upset caused last time around 

My personal opinion is that Tom Rawcliffe is settled in his role now and is very proactive and will listen and act on as much as possible to assist supporters. Sadly with the continual changing of staff in the past months things have slipped through the net. But given time fan engagement will improve 

He was excellent when we requested a mention a couple of years ago for a family member, he went above and beyond

• Like 1

I recognised three names and one of them had passed on at least 4 years ago. The other two names passed away more recently within the last 18/12 I reckon.

As Phants said the club had been working on it for quite some and deserve much credit. I’d not seen anything like that at any stadium before.