IGNORED

Sandro Tonali

Super

Seems he still hasn't learnt his lesson.

Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association for alleged breaches of betting rules.

The 23-year-old is currently serving a 10-month ban issued by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) in October for breaking betting rules in Italy.

Tonali joined Newcastle from AC Milan in July for £55m.

The FA alleges Tonali broke rules by placing bets on matches between 12 August and 12 October 2023.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

He's clearly an addict that needs help. Instead our FA will throw the book at him and refuse him access to his colleagues, pushing him further down a hole.

Not sure you can blame the FA here.

• Flames 1

• Admin
Just now, Super said:

I can blame the FA for the way they are currently ostracising addicts rather than getting them the help they need. They might even learn better ways to prevent/solve the issue in future as a by-product.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I can blame the FA for the way they are currently ostracising addicts rather than getting them the help they need. They might even learn better ways to prevent/solve the issue in future as a by-product.

Why is it down to the FA to get him the help?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Why is it down to the FA to get him the help?

They could end all gambling sponsorships for a start! I understand he’s going through rehab for gambling but is banning him the answer? he clearly needs help 

• Like 5

Just now, alexukhc said:

They could end all gambling sponsorships for a start! I understand he’s going through rehab for gambling but is banning him the answer? he clearly needs help 

I agree i just don't know why it's down to the FA to get him that help.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

He's clearly an addict that needs help. Instead our FA will throw the book at him and refuse him access to his colleagues, pushing him further down a hole.

With all the odious betting ads and sponsorship that is rife in football, I guess the FA do have to share some responsibility, there is probably some sort of counselling available through the F.A but I can see their side of things to deter any match fixing scenario's they have to punish any rule breakers.

And Huddersfield's Kian Harratt has been suspended for four months and fined £3,200 for breaches of betting rules. He placed 484 bets on football matches between 30 June 2020 and 3 June 2023, and he subsequently admitted to this charge.

There are multiple cases of breaches of the betting rules every month from players all over the pyramid.

Just as a couple of examples another Newcastle player, Jude Smith, was charged at the end of Feb with 151 bets, a player for weston-super-mare is accused of placing more than 1,700 bets, his case continues.

They don't all get the coverage though do they.

It's a huge problem in football and across other sports as well. Needs serious consideration from all stakeholders.

1 hour ago, Super said:

You can, the FA enable this sort of behaviour as do the clubs,

There is gambling advertising everywhere, there is no programme for addicts, there is massive punishment but no help,

Just now, slartibartfast said:

Sorry, they know the rules !

So do alcoholics and drug addictions but that addiction is treated as such, where as gambling addiction isn't, 

I'm sorry the FA the EPL and the EFL and do loads more but they won't because it makes them money,

They help enable this behaviour 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Is he clearly an addict?

may be he just likes a gamble

IF he needs help It is HIS job to sort it Not the FA

• Like 1

Probably going to get pelters for this but seems to be another case of someone does something wrong and can't possibly be held to account because they have "a problem "and shouldn't be held accountable for their actions.A massive problem in society theses days certainly not restricted to footballers with pocketfuls of cash.Why not just blow it all betting onto a different sport?I don't think there is anything you can't bet on these days.I am not saying that there are not many genuine victims of circumstance with genuine issues outside of their control but sometimes people have to take responsibility for their actions and decisions. 

• Like 1

When they say betting on matches can anyone clarify, what is wrong with 50p on say Man Utd to draw at Villa or does it concern bets placed on matches in which he plays (first booking etc).

Taking my tin pot scenario further if the 50p becomes £10k does that change anything? if he is betting on matches where he can determine an outcome, that is obviously a problem and he deserves everything coming to him 

Or is all betting on football against the rules for players

• Like 1