IGNORED

Gerry Gow vs Kenny Stephens

Not sure about that but I do remember a similar picture with him and Frankie Prince.

I remember Gerry's first game for City when he broke into the team as a youngster.  Not often you see a youngster hit the ground running like he did and he was good enough right from the start.  He had a lot of great attributes as well as being a destroyer in the middle of the park, he also had a bit of skill, could pick out passes and popped up with quite a few goals too.

My favourite player ever to put on a City shirt by some margin, even though there have been a lot of other excellent ones over the years.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not sure about that but I do remember a similar picture with him and Frankie Prince.

I remember Gerry's first game for City when he broke into the team as a youngster.  Not often you see a youngster hit the ground running like he did and he was good enough right from the start.  He had a lot of great attributes as well as being a destroyer in the middle of the park, he also had a bit of skill, could pick out passes and popped up with quite a few goals too.

My favourite player ever to put on a City shirt by some margin, even though there have been a lot of other excellent ones over the years.

No, the famous GG picture was with Stephens, some people just assumed it was Prince because he was supposedly Rovers' hard man.

• Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, the famous GG picture was with Stephens, some people just assumed it was Prince because he was supposedly Rovers' hard man.

Who as we both know, Noggers “went missing” on a regular basis when faced with Gerald..

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Gow's first game was at Charlton last match of 1969-70 season. I guess that there weren't many City fans at the Valley that day.

Similar ending to this season. 5 defeats and three draws and we finished 14th in Second Division. Not much has changed!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Who as we both know, Noggers “went missing” on a regular basis when faced with Gerald..

He certainly did and I suspect on this occasion Gerry had already shown Prince who was boss in no uncertain manner very early on in that game. Prince then no doubt scurried away and made sure he wasn't within 5 yards of GG for the rest of the game. 

• Robin 1

29 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Gow's first game was at Charlton last match of 1969-70 season. I guess that there weren't many City fans at the Valley that day.

Similar ending to this season. 5 defeats and three draws and we finished 14th in Second Division. Not much has changed!

Ah, I guess it was his first home game then as I didn't go to away games in those days.

On 29/03/2024 at 08:48, wendyredredrobin said:

Agreed, no one comes near him in my eyes, i imagine the only City player of the last 100 years to top him would be Big John who was just before my time

On 29/03/2024 at 06:34, cidered abroad said:

The game in which he came to prominence was the 1st game of the following season, 1970/71, when we beat Sunderland 4-3.  Played an absolutely stormer iirc.