IGNORED

Newcastle’s penalties today.

Leveller

24 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

And run by the mates of the referees on the pitch, so therefore very reluctant to ever overturn anything.

Yes the VAR obviously influenced the ref at Newcastle to change his mind .

On field ref doesn’t tend to go against them . 

Edited by Markthehorn

24 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Suppose Phillips was running down the touch line with the ball at his feet and Gordon put his leg between Phillips and the ball? If Phillips then made contact and fell, it would be seen as a deliberate trip and a foul by Gordon.

Its a very similar action seen from a different perspective IMHO.

Phillips wasnt running down the touch line with the ball at his feet and its not similar with respect Phillips kicked an opponent when trying to clear a ball he wasnt in possession of and made no contact at all with the ball so its a foul on Gordon.  

I had hoped VAR would stop the bigger  clubs getting all the iffy calls

But VAR seems to look for something to give these bigger clubs

If a Brentford player went down in the Utd box They would look at one angle If nothing odvious say play on

If it was the other way VAR would look at about 20 angles until they found one that looked like contact on the Utd player

If this was in Italy we would all be talking about Cash filled envelopes etc 

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

He’ll be looking forward to the cricket season……no chance at all of going to the Euro’s imo. Mainoo for a start has now overtaken him.

Good news Somerset in action today.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

He’ll be looking forward to the cricket season……no chance at all of going to the Euro’s imo. Mainoo for a start has now overtaken him.

Good news Somerset in action today.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Suppose Phillips was running down the touch line with the ball at his feet and Gordon put his leg between Phillips and the ball? If Phillips then made contact and fell, it would be seen as a deliberate trip and a foul by Gordon.

Its a very similar action seen from a different perspective IMHO.

Dickie , 100% pen for me 

Conway 100% pen for ( if that’s vardy 100% that refs gives it )

Wells the shove ( so called shoulder to shoulder by winks it’s a shove in the back nothing else ) anywhere else on the pitch that’s a foul all day long 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Phillips wasnt running down the touch line with the ball at his feet and its not similar with respect Phillips kicked an opponent when trying to clear a ball he wasnt in possession of and made no contact at all with the ball so its a foul on Gordon.  

There is clear merit in your logic. Yet … it doesn’t feel fair or just!

I thought that second Newcastle penalty was ‘interesting’ - let me say that. 
 Gordon didn’t get the ball. He placed his foot in between the ball and Phillips who was obviously in mid-kick with no chance of aborting. 
Someone asked earlier in the thread; what if it was an attacker about to take a shot in the box and a defender sticks his foot in the way of the kicking foot without touching the ball?

The rules say you are not allowed to kick another player, so the referee applied those rules to the letter of the law. They don’t seem to address the situation where a player deliberately puts himself in the way of a player in mid-kick.

In the hypothetical example of it happening the other way around, I would bet 50p on a penalty being awarded to Phillips. 
I would suggest that Gordon is guilty of ‘ungentlemanly conduct’ by deliberately causing a situation where he knew a foul was inevitable. It could be argued that Gordon actually kicked Phillips because no attempt was made to kick the ball. 
It’s an interesting situation and I see debates raging on multiple forums and in news outlets about it. 
Personally, I think the rule book needs updating to cover this sort of situation. Under the current rules it was a penalty using the ‘thou shalt not kick another player’ rule, but there is no allowance for a deliberate drawing of a foul. 
It was the football equivalent to a pedestrian deliberately throwing themselves at a motor vehicle in order to collect insurance or compensation. 
It worked in this case for Newcastle and Gordon. Let’s hope we don’t see a flurry of similar incidents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

A word on Anthony Taylor today for a gutless performance in the Man City v Arsenal game!

As in not booking players for fouls ?

Guess he was very generous but then people complain if cards are thrown around easily .

Being from Manchester probably didn't want to be seen as pro or anti City so did nothing .

Was waiting for some VAR drama though .

Might have livened things up however !

Edited by Markthehorn

17 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Guess he was very generous but then people complain if cards are thrown around easily .

Being from Manchester probably didn't want to be seen as pro or anti City so did nothing .

Maybe it was just me, but I found it a pretty boring affair.

As usual Sky hype it up as it’s two of their big 6 but I thought it was a dull affair 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Maybe it was just me, but I found it a pretty boring affair.

As usual Sky hype it up as it’s two of their big 6 but I thought it was a dull affair 

Yes definitely don’t think you are alone there !

Both teams playing for a  draw ?

Hence the point in this my last line .

Wasn’t any controversy to talk about or chances of note.

Edited by Markthehorn

32 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

He let fouls go and then obviously it was a game full of fouls. Also when pundits say its a big game and he doesn't want to card players?! He should be reffing it like he would Burnley v Wolves. It was his fault the game was shocking

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

There is clear merit in your logic. Yet … it doesn’t feel fair or just!

In a kids game I will let things go when they feel unfair and i will tell managers do you really want me penalising that?? But this is adults and pro football the laws are clear very clear black and white the opponent Phillips hasnt brushed or tapped Gordon hes cracked  his leg away and totally missed the ball what i feel doesnt matter as the law takes my emotion and feelings out of it. nothing to debate its a stonewall foul!

8 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

In a kids game I will let things go when they feel unfair and i will tell managers do you really want me penalising that?? But this is adults and pro football the laws are clear very clear black and white the opponent Phillips hasnt brushed or tapped Gordon hes cracked  his leg away and totally missed the ball what i feel doesnt matter as the law takes my emotion and feelings out of it. nothing to debate its a stonewall foul!

You may have missed it but I asked earlier in the thread if the same challenge had happened in the Newcastle box in exactly the same way with Phillips about to shoot and Gordon making the same challenge would you give a penalty to West Ham ?

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

You may have missed it but I asked earlier in the thread if the same challenge had happened in the Newcastle box in exactly the same way with Phillips about to shoot and Gordon making the same challenge would you give a penalty to West Ham ?

no. you cant crack a challenging opponents leg and not make contact with the ball. no situation is exactly the same but the laws should be applied evenly and frequently you cant make a high level of contact on an opponent and win the ball as its endangering an opponent even if accidental. 

Just to illustrate my earlier comment - here you can see Phillips in the process of clearing the ball, clearly in front of Gordon and not even looking at him.

Gordon stamps his foot down, behind the ball and behind Phillips’s standing foot. There appears to be no effort on Gordon’s part to play the ball - he’s stepped over it in order to impede Phillips, who, being already in mid-kick makes inevitable, unavoidable contact. 
The penalty award may well have been applying the rules of the game, but it was morally wrong  IMHO. 

IMG_3639.thumb.jpeg.96353ef11ac6a08d0d3f740123620d12.jpeg

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add words
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Just to illustrate my earlier comment - here you can see Phillips in the process of clearing the ball, clearly in front of Gordon and not even looking at him.

Gordon stamps his foot down, behind the ball and behind Phillips’s standing foot. There appears to be no effort on Gordon’s part to play the ball - he’s stepped over it in order to impede Phillips, who, being already in mid-kick makes inevitable, unavoidable contact. 
The penalty award may well have been applying the rules of the game, but it was morally wrong  IMHO. 

Precisely. Phillips didn’t “miss” the ball. Gordon planted his foot where he did to ensure he got kicked.

3 hours ago, Three Lions said:

The laws may be clear but they can be changed - and should be, in this instance.

9 hours ago, Leveller said:

Precisely. Phillips didn’t “miss” the ball. Gordon planted his foot where he did to ensure he got kicked.

Should a ref be expected to second guess that though or could that be where ex players come in as they “might understand the situation better “?

Obviously they would have to be with no links to the teams involved ..

On 30/03/2024 at 23:30, forbespm said:

Totally agree with your points made.the 2nd penalty especially was a joke,should have been a free kick to west ham if anything!

Had it happened at the other end, as Phillips was about to shoot, I’m sure it would be a penalty (eg a foul on Phillips)

It’s an intriguing one though, it’s clever play rather than cheating, there’s no rule to say you can’t put your body in the way.

Just now, MarcusX said:

Really? Defender has over ran it and the ball isn’t within playing distance, bringing Mudryk down. It’d be a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Well it is April 1st. Good one.

13 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Yes definitely don’t think you are alone there !

Both teams playing for a  draw ?

Hence the point in this my last line .

Wasn’t any controversy to talk about or chances of note.

No chance City were playing for a draw, they just couldn’t break down the 11 men Arsenal constantly had behind the ball.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Watched a clip of it and its a different sketch your seeing a lot from a still picture fella and its a foul. The foul is there in the picture you cant clout a leg whether your looking at it or not hes not clearing the ball hes clearing a shin. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

The laws may be clear but they can be changed - and should be, in this instance.

Not trying to be rude and disrespectful but your going end up having a law where its legal to kick a player and not the ball!!

26 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Look how far Assignon is from the ball when he fouls Mudryk, he’s ran past the ball and knows he isn’t getting there so has to take the man.

What probably didn’t help it that this Iead to a 2nd booking too which made the decision look worse .

A yellow card and it would’ve not been quite so controversial.