IGNORED

Sunderland away match thread

13 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

It was a poor performance but let's add some context please. The conditions were shocking-extremely windy, sun in the players eyes and litter swirling all over the pitch! It's also a meaningless game which we got a point out of!

With that mentality, no point even travelling to watch.

Hardly extreme weather conditions.

Edited by Sturgess

The Sunderland forum has 55 pages on this thread. Amongst the snippets was this gem;

"

It was certainly better than that game. Today is a game we should have won but our finishing was too poor

Got to give some credit to their goalkeeper. He was a right pain in the arse."

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

I'm not blowing it out of proportion. It was a very poor performance. It was good to get a point. They were not overly affected by the conditions. They could have scored 6. What is out of proportion about that?

I'm talking about today, this game. 

Absolutely 💯 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He didn’t set us up not to lose today, but god knows what instructions he did give them!

Pring started ever so high, I thought he might’ve been WB. On the other side Sykes played right up against Hjelde, giving Tanner no cover.  That was defensive…but it was easily exposed by Sunderland.

Credit to the Sunderland team of youngsters, they coped very well with the swirling wind, it did not seem to concern them at all. Moved the ball very quickly, kept it on the deck, made numerous opportunities and could have scored a hatful. Bellingham had a particularly golden chance and took an extra touch. Should have buried it. We were all over the place at the back. That calm head of Dickie is a massive miss.

Edited by The Original OTIB
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

It was a poor performance but let's add some context please. The conditions were shocking-extremely windy, sun in the players eyes and litter swirling all over the pitch! It's also a meaningless game which we got a point out of!

The worst thing about it was the sun changed direction at half time……..just our luck!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The way I saw it was that Manning could see we were playing badly and were lucky to go in at 0-0 so he hooked AM off and went to a back 5 to shut up shop and play for the point. I don't like that. 

Not really, Mehmeti was not having the best game, made sense to put McCrorie on and push Sykes into a more forward position. Allowed for more pace on the counters, plus a bit more physicality to deal with Collins.

Wouldn’t argue with any of the selections and substitutions today.

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

If we can follow it up with a bit more entertainment that would be great 

I couldn't care less - I wasn't there :laugh: No, jokes aside, I think he's doing a good job. I'm sure the entertainment will come

Edited by AshtonGreat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

They really aren’t.

Sam Allison, Darren Bond, there are some decent ones amongst the jokers.

Don’t agree about Sam Allison seen him a few times thought he looked a bit rabbit in headlights , mind you not helped by the press saying about his colour ( has nothing to do with it ) he’s a ref ffs 

• Confused 1
14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The way I saw it was that Manning could see we were playing badly and were lucky to go in at 0-0 so he hooked AM off and went to a back 5 to shut up shop and play for the point. I don't like that. 

Brought on McCrorie to limit Clarke, tried kicking him all half. Worked, to be fair. But it’s a typical, reactive LM sub to stifle rather than change games.

8 minutes ago, Street red said:

Exactly!! Blackburn didn't do to bad up there.

Sunderland are a strange side. They've beaten Leeds, WBA, Preston and battered Southampton at Home albeit the latter under Mowbray, but lost 0-4 at Home to Middlesbrough, lost at Home vs Swansea, Huddersfield plus the aforementioned battering by Blackburn.

With all that in mind, a draw doesn't surprise me too much. Certainly didn't think we would be as outplayed as much as we were though, especially first half.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Standard meltdown on here. No idea why we should be winning these type of games on the road. Yes it wasn't the best but you make sure you get something out of the game which we did.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2
16 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Not really, Mehmeti was not having the best game, made sense to put McCrorie on and push Sykes into a more forward position. Allowed for more pace on the counters, plus a bit more physicality to deal with Collins.

Wouldn’t argue with any of the selections and substitutions today.

He also changed us to a back 5. That's not an attacking change. 

12 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Brought on McCrorie to limit Clarke, tried kicking him all half. Worked, to be fair. But it’s a typical, reactive LM sub to stifle rather than change games.

This. At half time he as happy to take the point. 

• Facepalm 3

Under Nige that would have been a hard earned point on the road ,

seriously though he has to start getting some more consistency in the team’s performance saying that some of the players need to step up constantly giving the ball away today 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Super said:

Standard meltdown on here. No idea why we should be winning these type of games on the road. Yes it wasn't the best but you make sure you get something out of the game which we did.

It's the total lack of attacking intent and quality on show. Are you enjoying this football under Manning? It's turgid.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RedJim said:

We are a boring team with a boring manager. Normally I'd take a draw at Sunderland but these just got beaten 5-1 at home by Blackburn. This regime (from the top) is killing my enthusiasm for the club. 

Last weeks result means nothing , it’s gone different game different circumstances 

29 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

So  you’ve made it obvious for months , you have an agenda I get , I was pissed off with Nige etc but it gets repetitive all the time tbh , the Southampton jibe is one thing but it just goes on and on , 10 points from 5 games ( 4 clean sheets) is at least an improvement results wise but never going to make any difference to you and a lot of the same old posters on here .

We will see what LM does on the summer but can’t see him going anywhere, it’s how it is at least for now , I guess if thats not for you so be it , seems a few are off to Forest Green or even B& Q from the sound of it. Good for them 🤔

I'm pleased for you that you are happy with the performances and the lies you've been told.

If as your name implies you were at Coventry in 77. So was I and we lived through some dark times in the years after that. The football was never so utterly boring in those years. The management and team were united as was the fanbase.

Personally over the past 6 months or so I have never felt so disconnected from the club.

It will be my perogative to continue to voice my concerns. If you don't like it you know where the ignore button is.

• Like 3
Just now, redkev said:

Last weeks result means nothing , it’s gone different game different circumstances 

Respect that of course. But we barely had a shot on target. It's binary football with us. Thankfully our defence and keeper have been excellent.

3 minutes ago, RedJim said:

It's the total lack of attacking intent and quality on show. Are you enjoying this football under Manning? It's turgid.

In spells its good. Its been like this all season.

38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It was. Manning said it was so must be true. 

I don't think it would do any good for Manning to stand there and say, "Our boys were pathetic today. Pring looked like he was already on the beach, Twine's got no chance of a transfer, Jamo I'm going to call Lame-o from now on. You spend all week talking to them about 'shape' and they go out there and look as organised as a nursery nativity play. The worst bit is, on OTIB they'll all be blaming me, not these chancers that I have to choose from week in, week out!!" [Throws mic to the floor and storms off]

Edited by mozo
  • Haha 5
5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He also changed us to a back 5. That's not an attacking change. 

This. At half time he as happy to take the point. 

Back-5 / back-3…number of defenders doesn’t make a system defensive or not…intent does.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes said as much at the time. Seemed like he was going for a draw, by pulling off wells Mehmeti and Sykes. 

Just now, RedJim said:

Respect that of course. But we barely had a shot on target. It's binary football with us. Thankfully our defence and keeper have been excellent.

Just now, RedJim said:

I do agree when we’re poor we’re very poor , but I do think there has been some pretty good performances to , the massive inconsistency is the most frustrating for me 

7 minutes ago, RedJim said:

We are a boring team with a boring manager. Normally I'd take a draw at Sunderland but these just got beaten 5-1 at home by Blackburn. This regime (from the top) is killing my enthusiasm for the club. 

They're not the club though, are they mate? They're just ships that pass in the night, so to speak. It's, er, us, we're the club. Can you get enthusiastic about us?