IGNORED

Willem II (Tilburg) Link

50 minutes ago, The Masked Man said:

I'd love an excuse to go back to Beekse Bergen too. 😂

Safari on 3 square kilometers…. 😉 nice reason to make it a family trip on which daddy/mommy has a day/night for a trip for him/herself! And do not forget to go to the Efteling, the best amusement park of the Netherlands and situated 15 minutes by car from Tilburg!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, willem ii said:

Safari on 3 square kilometers…. 😉 nice reason to make it a family trip on which daddy/mommy has a day/night for a trip for him/herself! And do not forget to go to the Efteling, the best amusement park of the Netherlands and situated 15 minutes by car from Tilburg!

Would love to go back to Efteling. Not as big but on a par with Disney Paris in my opinion. Talking myself into Willem II away next year! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Super said:

Season starting late? Means we'll be away first game.

Not necessarily. The balloon fiesta has dropped the Thursday so with Sky showing every game from the 1st round of fixtures, it could be possible for us to be at home on the Thursday. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not necessarily. The balloon fiesta has dropped the Thursday so with Sky showing every game from the 1st round of fixtures, it could be possible for us to be at home on the Thursday. 

Crikey football on a Thursday evening. That would be a new one.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

It's going to be something we have to get used to. More so on occasions when Sky broadcast an entire round of fixtures I imagine. 

Sky now consider a weekend to be Thurs-Monday. 

47 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

Boycotting this on the basis I've heard they're responsible for that awful dreary "it's our club, it the club that we love" song 

Can honestly say I've never heard this? Maybe I've already been put into a Manningball induced deep sleep by then....

There's nothing odd about the timing.  It's absolutely to try and curry favour with the fans, but I don't see that as a bad thing.  At least it shows a degree of acceptance that there is unrest that they need to try and address in some way.

Also, would be good to have some sort of official link between the clubs that could see transfer/loan deals become a regular thing where appropriate.

• Admin
21 hours ago, willem ii said:

Apologies that I couldn’t react earlier, was busy driving some city supporters from Amsterdam airport back to Tilburg… :-).

You must have been with my mate James

21 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Seeing as Willem fans are regularly in city home ends it would be bonkers to segregate it and it wouldn’t be followed anyway. 

Though Willem do have some brilliant tiffosi displays and it would need them to be in their own area to maximise this

17 hours ago, supercidered said:

Hi there

Myself and a mate of mine want to connect with Willem II club and supporters. We are looking to make the trip over at least a couple of times next season. Would also like to do at least one away trip which doesn't need to be away to one of the bigger teams.

How do we go about this? PM me if easier. Cheers.

Do you know the S82 guys?

They are worth having a chat with as well

57 minutes ago, Super said:

QPR away many years ago

6 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

Do we know what time the game is likely to be? Would love to come along with one of my mates from home but we need to be elsewhere at 5 so hoping for a midday kick off...

Willem II friendly confirmed - Bristol City FC (bcfc.co.uk)

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Now this is going ahead, could anyone confirm where this connection from the clubs has come from please?

It may have already been mentioned in this thread but I can’t be arsed to go through 4 pages. It has definitely been discussed before but I can’t remember what the reason was.

Click on Page 1, 3rd post onwards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

Does anyone think this game could realistically be heading for a sell out? Would be amazing if so. 

No.  With all due respect to our friends from Tilburg, they are not a big European name and won't attract a massive amount of interest.  The link is between maybe a thousand fans from both sides (complete guess there).

However, the link has grown since its inception and this is an opportunity to expand it further.  But this is just the first step.  Those that aren't part of that link may become interested as a result and then it grows organically.

Having said that, I would be very surprised to see a 4 figure attendance and would hope to see around 12/13k.  Worth remembering that this is peak holiday season and some will have booked holidays no later than this because of the prospect of a league fixture clash.

1 hour ago, BUTOR said:

Does anyone think this game could realistically be heading for a sell out? Would be amazing if so. 

Not a big name in middle of summer hols doubt it will make 10k.

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Believe opening weekend will be 2 fixtures Friday night, 8 Saturday (not necessarily 3pm, but might retain that slot) and 2 on Sunday.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

You must have been with my mate James

Though Willem do have some brilliant tiffosi displays and it would need them to be in their own area to maximise this

Do you know the S82 guys?

They are worth having a chat with as well

QPR away many years ago

Willem II friendly confirmed - Bristol City FC (bcfc.co.uk)

Click on Page 1, 3rd post onwards

It was not James, but his dad and some youngsters.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, BUTOR said:

Nope.

The base fact is that in terms of club strength Willem have just been promoted from a league worse than league one into a league that is slightly worse than ours per OPTA. It’s akin, strength wise, to playing a lower third championship side - not a bad thing (IMO it’s the strength of side you’d like to be playing last game before you start) but not immediately glamorous and one to appeal to floaters.

As has also been said, it is peak holiday season and you have to again remember that a fair proportion of the City fanbase won’t know about the linkup, and a fair proportion won’t really care so the link - while causing some swelling of audience  - won’t be one that drives exponential growth.

I didn’t think the club would go ahead due to the fact when you boil it down it’s not a particularly commercially “attractive” friendly so fair play to them for doing so (although I do share the cynicism as to the timing), but absent some spectacular pricing you’re looking at a crowd of the higher end of four figures top end for my money. Even if the club make a loss though, it’s a good thing to do fan engagement wise.

• Admin

Even though it turns out they didn't need to win tonight, I'm sure their 93rd minute winner helped to start the celebrations this evening 

Congratulations to Willem on winning the Eerste Divisie title tonight 

20240510_211831.jpg

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Even though it turns out they didn't need to win tonight, I'm sure their 93rd minute winner helped to start the celebrations this evening 

Congratulations to Willem on winning the Eerste Divisie title tonight 

20240510_211831.jpg

Any players worth pinching 🙈, that might sour the friendship a little 😳