IGNORED

Joe Kinnear RIP

I remember when he was manager at Luton, he was walking across the pitch back to the dugout at Kenilworth Road after half time, he got a rendition of “you fat bastard” from our end, he stopped, opened his coat, stuck his belly out and started rubbing it! Suffice to say he then got a standing ovation from us. RIP.

Edited by BS15_RED
  • Like 11

Remember him more as a player than a manager.  Tough tackling right back who played in a good Spurs team.  Think I’m correct in saying he played against us in the 1970 League Cup semi final games.

Sad to hear that another great character from football has gone. 

I remember when he was manager at Doncaster in the 1980s when City beat them to get into the play offs with a late Colin Gordon goal and Joe Kinnear was interviewed after the game, expressing his concern about the pitch invasions. 

RIP Joe. 

• Like 1

Joe was the Spurs right back in their FA Cup game against City at White Hart Lane. In 1967.

The game for which we had five special trains direct to the station just down the road from the ground.

The game when we messed up a twice taken penalty, the ref was going to send Spurs defender Dave Mackay until City's Quigley pleaded with the ref not to do it.

And guess who scored the two Spurs goals? Answers on a postcard please.

A great day out with a wrong ending but well worth it with 54,000 in the ground, one of the biggest gates to see a City match.

RIP Joe.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 4
  • Robin 2

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did a good job at Dons. RIP 

Does it matter if he did a good or bad job at Dons...we are not judging his managerial performance, we are respecting his passing. Rest in peace.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Does it matter if he did a good or bad job at Dons...we are not judging his managerial performance, we are respecting his passing. Rest in peace.

Do you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and smile just to get it out the way?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

And guess who scored the two Spurs goals?

Went to that with my dad.

Jimmy Greaves scored both goals for Spurs, one a penalty if I remember correctly.

Jantzen Derrick had a great game for City and it was rumoured Spurs were scouting him afterwards.

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Surely there’s no better way of respecting a persons passing than talking about the things they’ve achieved in their life, and the good things they’ve done?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Joe was the Spurs right back in their FA Cup game against City at White Hart Lane. In 1967.

The game for which we had five special trains direct to the station just down the road from the ground.

The game when we messed up a twice taken penalty, the ref was going to send Spurs defender Dave Mackay until City's Quigley pleaded with the ref not to do it.

And guess who scored the two Spurs goals? Answers on a postcard please.

A great day out with a wrong ending but well worth it with 54,000 in the ground, one of the biggest gates to see a City match.

RIP Joe.

Remember my dear dad telling me about his attending this match-

I asked him about Greavsie- said he didn't do much!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, trickydickiecardigan said:

Was at that 67 cup game  Tony Ford missed penalty ref said had to be taken again Chris Crowe grabs the ball takes the penalty and proceeded to put the ball a good five yards wide! Jimmy Greaves showed how to score a penalty in last minute sending Gibbo the wrong way!!

I was there arrived at 12.00 to get into the ground when the gates opened at 1.30 ,front row of the Paxton Road end.

For those interested Spurs team that day.

Pat Jennings

Defender Mike England

Defender Joe Kinnear

Defender Cyril Knowles

Defender/Midfielder Dave Mackay

Midfielder Alan Mullery

Midfielder Terry Venables

Midfielder/Forward Cliff Jones

Forward Alan Gilzean

Forward Jimmy Greaves

Winger Jimmy Robertson

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I was there arrived at 12.00 to get into the ground when the gates opened at 1.30 ,front row of the Paxton Road end.

For those interested Spurs team that day.

Pat Jennings

Defender Mike England

Defender Joe Kinnear

Defender Cyril Knowles

Defender/Midfielder Dave Mackay

Midfielder Alan Mullery

Midfielder Terry Venables

Midfielder/Forward Cliff Jones

Forward Alan Gilzean

Forward Jimmy Greaves

Winger Jimmy Robertson

@Abraham Romanovich thanks for that info. How are you doing? No see you for some time. You know that was my second visit to WHL as you'll remember I saw your first European Cup first home game when you hammered Gornic (Polish team) 8-1.

I never told you about the second time I saw a live Spurs game. The freezing winter of 1963 at Highbury. Can't remember much about the match played on an ice rink. Young kids at the front of the terracing throwing snowballs at the coppers. No arrests as there would be now, the plod just threw them back at the boys. Every hit either way got a big cheer from the crowd.

RIP Joe Kinnear. Great character, did an excellent job at Wimbledon.

Actually think he did alright got 2-3 months to steady the mess with a wantaway owner post Keegan at Newcastle, perhaps if not for his health issues he keeps them up.

Knew someone whose dad was a Wimbledon fan at the time he resurfaced at Newcastle in 2008, spoke very highly of Kinnear. Had good and bad points in his other jobs but his football wasn't always as reductive as claimed IMO, bit if a pragmatist possibly- better the opposition, more robust etc.