IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

48 minutes ago, phantom said:

You don't honestly take our statement as gospel do you? 

It's widely acknowledged around the league that Bristol have massively cocked up

Not at all.  We have completely messed up of that there is no doubt.

Fact this has come out and is impacting our recruitment shows we are not cheating which is what a lot of fans of other clubs think.  We'd be cheating if kept quiet and engineered an alternative way of paying those we want to get rid of. If Jake Armstrong retires from Rugby to be the kit man, I would be suspicious put it that way.

I can remember speaking to this ape of a Wasps fan who couldn't get in his head that for a Charles Piatau, Steven Luatua or Nathan Hughes on good money there was a Piers O Connor, Fitz Harding or Henry Purdy on a fraction of that who were also playing in the team.  That was Bristol's initial strategy.  Get high earners in to guide the younger ones before they leave to allow the likes of Joyce etc to push on with an academy that is starting to produce players.  Pity now is we've probably had to lose some good older players earlier than we hoped and may lose a couple of really promising players whilst 5 or 6 we don't want hang around holding tackle bags for a season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Fair play to Connaught, giving Leinster a hell of a game in Galway tonight. 

Connacht gave them a much harder time than we did last week. JGP was really lucky to only get a yellow too so could have been different.

Bristol's Chay Mullins now tearing it up for Ireland 7s after winning the Grand Slam with the U20s. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move to one of the provinces soon if he has Ireland ambitions.

48 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Only watched the first half, as had to head off to AG (which went well :grr:), not a great game, but an excellent result. I would have been happy with a narrow loss, so to actually win is fantastic.

I think I heard that it was the first time under Pat Lam’s watch that we had got a result up there. Also it was the first try Semi has scored this year.

I’m going to travel back from Stoke on Friday and hopefully see some of the return match. Hoping I don’t get a day of total disappointment!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RedM said:

I think I heard that it was the first time under Pat Lam’s watch that we had got a result up there. Also it was the first try Semi has scored this year.

I’m going to travel back from Stoke on Friday and hopefully see some of the return match. Hoping I don’t get a day of total disappointment!

Hopefully not! I recall the Sale home league game back in January when we beat them comfortably- hopefully a similar result on Friday!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I can't see any drawbacks in that plan. I've been wanting to go to the La Défense since they built it. Take some notes for me if you end up going!

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

La Defense is my favourite piece of architecture in the world. Already been up it, class!

I suppose one becomes blasé after so many years of seeing the same buildings, but La Défense has never really done much for me, just a collection of skyscrapers.

La Grande Arche is certainly impressive, and the sightline from the roof (L'Axe Historique) equally so, but apart from a reasonable lunch (I prefer the lunch in the Eiffel Tower), it has never impressed me.