IGNORED

Archive footage of Weston Super Mare and Bristol - early 1970s

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Though born in 1974, this footage brings back many memories of growing up in Weston

yes same here. We used to visit lots. I was born in 1968 so can just remember some of it. The old bus station, Old Pier, and The Pool

I have the answer to that white tower....

The timber structure was removed in the early 70s as it was deemed unsafe.

It was on top of Broadmead Baptist Church. We all must've walked by this church 100s of times without knowing it was there. In my day, WH Smith and HMV were underneath. Nowadays, according to the photos, it's a Tesco Express. If you're trying to place where it is, go down Union Street and at the bottom, it'll be on your right just before John Lewis (again in my day, then another Department store and now Primark I think).

Screenshot_20240411_081531_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240411_082040_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

Some great footage there, I first started visiting Bristol 2 or 3 years after that aged 12/13 just as we got to the top flight.

As an outsider, from West Somerset, I soon fell in love with the city and that love for the place remains as strong today as it had throughout, including all the years I lived there. I’m definitely an honorary Bristolian.

My memories of Weston back then were almost entirely from visits to Clarence Park to watch Somerset CCC. Very happy memories. I absolutely loved watching cricket there, you were really rubbing shoulders with some of the worlds best players on a small park that wasn’t even a cricket ground. Really sad when it stopped. 

• Like 3

• Admin
22 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Can recall my mates dad saying Weston had a rather large skinhead gang in those days, and they chased the Bristol skins out of Weston once!

Bank holiday on the sea front used to be carnage

There is a YouTube video of footage back then, typically I can't find it to link

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Bank holiday on the sea front used to be carnage

There is a YouTube video of footage back then, typically I can't find it to link

The Mods versus Rockers seaside battles were a bank holiday thing across the country at most big seaside resorts. Some huge battles went on but it was always just old fashioned fighting, no knives or stuff like that

• Like 1