IGNORED

Clean Sheets

Again, I said in the pub pre match, Max is a top, top keeper. Kudos to Nige for seeing he was a better, and cheaper bet than Bentley. 

Best keeper we’ve had in a long while for me.

• Like 9

Listening to the football cliches podcast recently - apparently some now refer to a clean sheet as a "Cleano". Let's hope our social media team don't catch on.

Good signs from our defence tonight - as you say a young back line, without Rob Dickie who has been one of our best players. Considering we're without Naismith and Atkinson (I'd forgotten all about him until somebody mentioned him earlier) it's all the more impressive to go on a run without conceding (yes...Vardy should have scored...but he didn't!)

Edited by cellist
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

4 in a row, first time we’ve done that in 9 years - kudos to Max and the defensive line, Tanner and Roberts brilliant in a very young back line tonight who are only going to get better  

How many years since we’ve had 5 clean sheets? 

I actually want another clean sheet more than a win on Saturday 😁

7 hours ago, cellist said:

Listening to the football cliches podcast recently - apparently some now refer to a clean sheet as a "Cleano". Let's hope our social media team don't catch on.

Good signs from our defence tonight - as you say a young back line, without Rob Dickie who has been one of our best players. Considering we're without Naismith and Atkinson (I'd forgotten all about him until somebody mentioned him earlier) it's all the more impressive to go on a run without conceding (yes...Vardy should have scored...but he didn't!)

Our defence has been good all season, only three teams with better records and they're all in the top five

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

4 in a row, first time we’ve done that in 9 years - kudos to Max and the defensive line, Tanner and Roberts brilliant in a very young back line tonight who are only going to get better  

How many years since we’ve had 5 clean sheets? 

And Liam for setting them up. 

8 hours ago, glynriley said:

Again, I said in the pub pre match, Max is a top, top keeper. Kudos to Nige for seeing he was a better, and cheaper bet than Bentley. 

Max was sadly a scapegoat to many forum writers for much of this season. I give the credit for his improvement to Liam but overall our defensive 'core' has been solid with Max, Zak & RD: Liam cant take credit for this but Pearson certainly should; Whilst we have been unlucky to see so little of Naismith and Atko, our medical team have done a good job in keeping our 'core three' fit all season until now. On another thread, re Max, i certainly think clubs will be in for him and SL will take a big fee if one comes in. Never mind our opinions but the stats look good and Prem teams like a calm keeper

8 hours ago, glynriley said:

Those of us who saw it a year ago were shouted down every time Max made an error. "He's a ******* clown blah blah blah"................ For all his outstanding saves Bentley made a few of those errors too, and even worse from my perspective, plenty of times where he wouldn't make a mistake because he didn't come for the ball when it was being loaded into the penalty area and therefore put himself in the firing line to make a mistake. "Let the centre half deal with it, not my problem" - unfortunately for Bentley it is a very big problem when your manager is an ex-Centre Half who knows exactly what you are doing!!

When you consider that, at a time when Nakhi was significantly reducing his wages, Bentley wanted a rise to something over £15K per week it was a brave, not overly popular but ultimately very beneficial decision made by an experienced manager to introduce Max who started off being steady and unspectacular, which wouldn't have looked as good as our shot stopping "liner" to begin with, but has now elevated his game to start producing points winning performances.......and Liam is very much benefitting from that because in two of our last four clean sheets we actually defended fairly poorly, getting sliced open on numerous occasions, and had the keeper to thank for the clean sheet.

• Like 2