IGNORED

Everytime we win…

OliOTIB

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Problem is - win or lose - there’s always a small number of people keen to shout “I told you so” and provoke other posters into a response.

Last night was a great result. And I’m ignoring Blackburn “looking poor”. Plenty of teams look poor without anyone scoring five against them and often teams look poor because their opponents are forcing mistakes. So it was a great result and nothing should be taken away from that. And, over the last four games the manager has confounded my expectations.

I’m still conscious we have had false dawns or brief periods of form before and I can’t say Manning has absolutely laid my doubts to rest but a good performance and win Saturday will go a long wait to convincing me we can not just play well but do it consistently and I might just start to get excited about next season. Problem is I’ve got excited only to be disappointed so many times before that it is hard to tell if things will be different this time.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

And on the flip side, there is a similar lack of objectivity from the other side when we get beat. 

Edit: SD did say that already, note to self, read twice, post once!! 

And in defeat there can be positives too, just like there can be negatives in victory (very hard to find any last night).

@OliOTIB I don’t recall many being critical of Ipswich (2-3)?  I was I know, but not about the whole performance.

Petty point scoring posts (not you I hasten to add) drag this place down.  Those who only post when the result matches their opinion, don’t help either. 

• Like 4

Feels like there's some sort of irony to this thread, pointing out how posters find something to complain about even after a good win? Complaining about complaining.

Don't understand how people can let any of those comments even get 1 second of brain thought, i just skim past them. 

Take your own advice and give it a rest giving a fck about those posters 

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

Feels like there's some sort of irony to this thread, pointing out how posters find something to complain about even after a good win? Complaining about complaining.

Don't understand how people can let any of those comments even get 1 second of brain thought, i just skim past them. 

Take your own advice and give it a rest giving a fck about those posters 

I think many could do with a rest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

There are a great many who are not in either of these camps. They roll with it to a large extent, sometimes up, sometimes down, sometimes frustrated and exasperated, but always hoping for the best, and at least a little entertainment. We all lose our composure a bit form time to time, but quite a lot on here and elsewhere are less extreme than those polarised at either end of the spectrum. In the end, both factions truly have our best interests at heart otherwise they are wasting large chunks of their existence here and at games. What I will note from somewhere here in the centre is that the critical elements are generally far more reasonable, erudite and analytical, backing up their arguments (and inviting critique) whether one might agree with them or not. On the other side, there is a lot of blind faith and entrenchment but rarely much detail as to why they hold their position. Loyalty over logic also plays a significant part. That is just my view, for what it is worth. I'd really love to hear detail from the pro Manning side (not really Manning, as such, it is the "in "x" (insert name of latest incumbent) we trust" mentality), what it is specifically that they have seen evolve, how it has evolved, how it might evolve and what might need improvement, etc. 

Possibly my favourite post of the year, and a lot of truth. 

The truth be told, I think we all want to be in the “in x we trust” camp but being so requires a lot of blind faith. I think I’ve referenced a bit in Fever Pitch before where Nick Hornby details the scales falling from his eyes as he realised the players who played for England weren’t necessarily the best, just those the manager preferred. Thats kind of where I see the latter “camp” - how and why would the club not make the right decisions? They know more than all of us (in both “camps”) about football so how could they get it wrong. (And there’s nothing wrong with that and I’d imagine you stress less!)

One thing I would be really interested to see is where people in each camp sit on a matchday because I think you do get a far different view of things dependant on your seat. In Dolman centre for example I can see shapes, patterns of play etc far better than behind the goal - because I see more, I can probably articulate more (both good and bad) and that can lead to more of a “moaning” accusation.

As you say though, in the words of Belinda “We want the same thing”

3 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

There are a great many who are not in either of these camps. They roll with it to a large extent, sometimes up, sometimes down, sometimes frustrated and exasperated, but always hoping for the best, and at least a little entertainment. We all lose our composure a bit form time to time, but quite a lot on here and elsewhere are less extreme than those polarised at either end of the spectrum. In the end, both factions truly have our best interests at heart otherwise they are wasting large chunks of their existence here and at games. What I will note from somewhere here in the centre is that the critical elements are generally far more reasonable, erudite and analytical, backing up their arguments (and inviting critique) whether one might agree with them or not. On the other side, there is a lot of blind faith and entrenchment but rarely much detail as to why they hold their position. Loyalty over logic also plays a significant part. That is just my view, for what it is worth. I'd really love to hear detail from the pro Manning side (not really Manning, as such, it is the "in "x" (insert name of latest incumbent) we trust" mentality), what it is specifically that they have seen evolve, how it has evolved, how it might evolve and what might need improvement, etc. 

Like you, I'm somewhat in the middle on this as I would have been happy for Pearson to continue ( although I think many view his time in charge, particularly more lately, through rose coloured glasses) and do think Manning has made mistakes, although have seen signs that I think auger well for the future - if he is given the chance!

I think Manning's appointment was against a background of growing antipathy towards the owner and senior management at the club, which came to a crescendo with the timing and manner of Pearson's sacking, and think this has affected how he has been viewed by some fans.

I don't think any fans really want to see us lose, but do think that some, who have an axe to grind with the  running of the club, are happy to "point out" Manning's failures, as it enables them  to reinforce the fallacy of the club's decision to sack Pearson. This has led to many things under Manning being compared to Pearson, so that Manning's successes are credited to Pearson ( his players/formation/tactics), whereas poor results and/or performances are put down solely to Manning.

Hopefully , if Manning can continue to produce results and performances, as he has recently, and with greater consistency then hopefully he offers less ammunition for those arguments. Then perhaps the forum can get back to a degree of normality and where every other thread does not descend into a Manning v Pearson debate/argument.

Having said that, how often in the fairly recent past, and under various managers, do we seem to have had moaners v happy clappers discussions, so perhaps , as @RoystonFoote'snephew says  it's down to Bristolian's natural pessimism/negativity!

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Having said that, how often in the fairly recent past, and under various managers, do we seem to have had moaners v happy clappers discussions, so perhaps , as @RoystonFoote'snephew says  it's down to Bristolian's natural pessimism/negativity!

I see this all the time on Gamers websites. There are a lot of people in the middle who roll with the punches, but a few on either side tend to dominate the conversation. And some moan like hell even when being given free upgrades, because its not the right upgrade for them!

Just the same on here.

Its human nature.