IGNORED

Atmosphere not so bad at the gate after all

winsaw

Came across this on Facebook, good to see the gate ranked as one of the best grounds for atmosphere in the league, I think sometimes we are a bit to self critical when away fans often say it's not a bad atmosphere

Screenshot_20240411-214907.png

• Like 3

I see that type of list get made every week on Twitter, and surprise surprise, every team is in a different bracket most times.

Far too many variables, like how did your team perform, how many times have you been, what team did you play, was it a meaningful game for you and/or the opposition, do you already have a predisposed like/dislike for the opposition, and so on.

Not to mention we all seem to have different standards on what makes a good atmosphere.

The atmosphere within AG (or any stadium) is generated by the action on the pitch. The atmosphere last night was pretty decent despite a relatively small number of away fans and because City were playing well against a poor Blackburn team and scoring goals.

LJ used whinge about the lack of atmosphere at AG not realising that his style of play was the reason - there was very little to get the crowd going.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ used whinge about the lack of atmosphere at AG not realising that his style of play was the reason - there was very little to get the crowd going.

The atmosphere at the Man U game was as electric as I’ve ever witnessed at BS3. 
Up there with the best I’ve ever seen in my 57 years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

It was excellent - but look who the opposition were. Another great atmosphere at AG was when Christian Roberts scored the winner against the Monkey Hangers and the Dolman Stand shook! That’s probably the best atmosphere that I’ve experienced at AG.

That said in the average league match the atmosphere can be non existent. It’s rare to see AG rocking. However for a league match on a Wednesday night against Blackburn the ‘buzz’ around AG was pretty good as City romped to victory.

• Like 3

I think we can be a bit harsh on it at times but..

...The club really need to do their bit. They maybe doing so in due course- I don't mean manufacture an atmosphere, but facilitate an environment in which atmospheres can flourish.

Bigger, more prominent area line the South Stand corner, smaller away allocation, perhaps split the Atyeo, turn off the music 10 before kick off, or at the least then it right down..maybe reading away sides first is the norm now but it never fully sits well.

The light thing for night games I would mention but it seems to be imposed from the outside so no point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It was excellent - but look who the opposition were. Another great atmosphere at AG was when Christian Roberts scored the winner against the Monkey Hangers and the Dolman Stand shook! That’s probably the best atmosphere that I’ve experienced at AG.

That said in the average league match the atmosphere can be non existent. It’s rare to see AG rocking. However for a league match on a Wednesday night against Blackburn the ‘buzz’ around AG was pretty good as City romped to victory.

There have been plenty of occasions where the ground has shook but atmosphere is always better when you're winning. In addition to the monkey hangers and Manure games against Portsmouth and Liverpool immediately spring to mind, as well as several occasions against the SAGS as Beadle scored twice, and JET and Bryan scored stunners. it doesn't surprise me though that away fans rate the atmosphere at the Gate higher than we do. Over the years many an opposition manager has said that it can be an intimidating place to play. 

I rarely go to an away game and think “wow what amazing home support” think the best I’ve seen was Palace maybe 13/14 years ago, we won 1-0, think it was Iwelumo who scored and credit to the palace fans in the corner right by us, they never shut up the whole game. Other than that can’t think of an away game where it’s been noisy, we’re no different. Things could be better of course but it’s hard to get 20,000-24,000 fans to be vocal constantly. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

The atmosphere within AG (or any stadium) is generated by the action on the pitch. The atmosphere last night was pretty decent despite a relatively small number of away fans and because City were playing well against a poor Blackburn team and scoring goals.

LJ lives in your head

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There have been plenty of occasions where the ground has shook but atmosphere is always better when you're winning. In addition to the monkey hangers and Manure games against Portsmouth and Liverpool immediately spring to mind, as well as several occasions against the SAGS as Beadle scored twice, and JET and Bryan scored stunners. it doesn't surprise me though that away fans rate the atmosphere at the Gate higher than we do. Over the years many an opposition manager has said that it can be an intimidating place to play. 

Don't forget Swindon 3-0 when we only had 3 stands. Cotterill mentioned the atmosphere after the game.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Compared to what?

He kept us up in his first season in charge.

He had us competing at the top end of the division for the first half of 2017/18.

We got to the semi finals of the Carobao cup, beating Palace 4-1, United 2-1 and competing with Manchester City right up until the very end of the two leg semi final.

The following season we finished 8th having been in the play off hunt for the entire season.

Plenty to shout about there - and we did. I know it’s fashionable to slag off Johnson at every opportunity but some of the criticism he gets is just lazy and complete nonsense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Compared to what?

He kept us up in his first season in charge.

He had us competing at the top end of the division for the first half of 2017/18.

We got to the semi finals of the Carobao cup, beating Palace 4-1, United 2-1 and competing with Manchester City right up until the very end of the two leg semi final.

The following season we finished 8th having been in the play off hunt for the entire season.

Plenty to shout about there - and we did. I know it’s fashionable to slag off Johnson at every opportunity but some of the criticism he gets is just lazy and complete nonsense.

LJ never impressed me, not as a player nor as manager.  He achieved nothing in either career.

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think we can be a bit harsh on it at times but..

...The club really need to do their bit. They maybe doing so in due course- I don't mean manufacture an atmosphere, but facilitate an environment in which atmospheres can flourish.

Bigger, more prominent area line the South Stand corner, smaller away allocation, perhaps split the Atyeo, turn off the music 10 before kick off, or at the least then it right down..maybe reading away sides first is the norm now but it never fully sits well.

The light thing for night games I would mention but it seems to be imposed from the outside so no point.

Pops, they could definitely turn down the music. Don't they realise some of us like to chat to fellow fans before the game? I'd rather not have to repeat myself 3 times when trying to make a point though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Atmosphère is probably great for away fans as they outsing our brave lads. 
I have known the Gate rocking and menacing but mostly we are self conscious and discreet unlike those loud ruffians from up North or chirpy cockneys from outer Bristol. 

This isn’t the middle ages - people don’t stay in one place anymore so I don’t know why you keep posting this.

The general consensus from ‘chirpy cockneys’ West Ham about loudest set of fans to visit them this season? Us

Edited by Phileas Fogg

10 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Hartlepool / palace / Hereford were superb and the night we played Swindon at Home after they won the league in November was pretty hostile 

22 hours ago, winsaw said:

Came across this on Facebook, good to see the gate ranked as one of the best grounds for atmosphere in the league, I think sometimes we are a bit to self critical when away fans often say it's not a bad atmosphere

Screenshot_20240411-214907.png

It’s literally one persons opinion?

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Pops, they could definitely turn down the music. Don't they realise some of us like to chat to fellow fans before the game? I'd rather not have to repeat myself 3 times when trying to make a point though.

Funnily my wife always tells me things 3 times , not because I haven’t been listening just to get into my head when I what I got to do 

• Haha 1