IGNORED

No more domestic broadcasts online as of next season

sephjnr

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very true, and I am sure the vast majority of EFL clubs will be feeling just like you have written above

Sadly I guess the £2.5m makes owners happier than seeing the money taken in with bigger crowds

As for POTD pricing, that has been raised with the club. . . . .

I agree,

I am sure someone can answer this but I wouldn't imagine that we had that many 3pm Saturday kick offs this season anyway

The only thing, this is not unique to us or even within any control of our club, this is all down to the EFL / Sky TV

We both know that it is a long time since those that count the pennies gave a shit about supporters

12 at a rough count

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Street red said:

Surely Ashton gate is going to see more empty seats,The club might get the extra £2.5 but who's going to pay on the day at £30 when you can just watch it on TV  it just doesn't make sense. This is one of many reasons I'm not renewing I'm not risking wasting money because I can't get to games especially a Monday night.

Yep. Saturation coverage works where physical demand is oversubscribed, but at our level it just means lower attendances.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

The only thing, this is not unique to us or even within any control of our club, this is all down to the EFL / Sky TV

But the EFL are the clubs. They've voted for this, so unless Bristol City can demonstrate they voted against it, they are calpable.

Flint said 'no, no, no', but football is too greedy to care a fig for it's supporters.

And I'm sure clubs will be complaining if attendances fall significantly.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yep. Saturation coverage works where physical demand is oversubscribed, but at our level it just means lower attendances.

You have to think that the clubs who voted for this have decided that 'fans of the future' will now be 'fans of succession' and are accepting that it will be difficult to get new customers through the door, unless they have a significant other in their life who already goes.

Appreciate the heading number from Sky is quite strong and will more than make up for a slight drop in numbers; but there are shades of ITV Digital about this albeit from a broadcasting partner with very deep pockets.

Short term, the Sky money will keep the wolf from the door for a few clubs, but as happened with ITV Digital, if the broadcaster isn't getting a return after 5 years, either the number will drop or the deal won't be extended.

Interesting times.

6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I'm sure a lot of kids won't coming on a school night. 

Too complicated for me to come on a Monday night, and possibly a Friday night. 

I just wished they'd leave the **** alone.

We had 5 games moved this season from 3pm Saturday.  Only 1 was due to Sky..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've read a lot of this thread and for someone who has never even thought of having Sky, I can't understand what this means. Perhaps someone can put me right.

No radio commentary on Radio Bristol for home and away?

No TV on Robins TV for some away matches?

An unspecified number of home matches will not be 15.00 Saturday kick off?

• Like 1

This deal, I still dunno...£2.5m does it offset the potential disruption, maybe a knock-on for ST Holders the changes to Robins TV and equivalent stations.

Element of penny wise pound foolish it feels to me..hope I'm wrong.

If it is conjunction with EFL and PL finally agreeing a new distribution deal well maybe, the wage etc Ratio rule will assist with solvency medium term too but right now and maybe different in League One and Two, it doesn't feel a great trade-off for the Championship non Parachute clubs in particular.

Money aside, the disruption to matchday fans- the lifeblood of clubs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I've read a lot of this thread and for someone who has never even thought of having Sky, I can't understand what this means. Perhaps someone can put me right.

No radio commentary on Radio Bristol for home and away?

No TV on Robins TV for some away matches?

An unspecified number of home matches will not be 15.00 Saturday kick off?

I don’t believe the radio commentary is affected, although I don’t know when the current radio deal is up for renewal. I seems that if you want to see the midweek away games legally, you will need to pay a bit more to Now TV than you currently pay Robins TV, but once you set up an account it’s a similar process. 

In my opinion I think radio coverage will suffer,would you really want to listen to a match when you could watch it legally?

Who remembers when you could purchase LP's of cup finals on vinyl in the 1970's and 1980's

Then when the video recorder arrived,no one bought the records any more

Season ticket sales could also suffer,sadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

No radio commentary on Radio Bristol for home and away? Radio will be unaffected by this, it’s a tv deal (not sarcasm by me btw).  You will still be able to listen on the “wireless”.  You can’t listen online today, unless you pay for an audio stream.  That will continue to be the case.

No TV on Robins TV for some away matches?  Firstly, RTV is a paid for streaming service.  For overseas (and illegal vpn) users it will remain unchanged.  For UK (legal) users RTV will not be an option.  You will need Sky subscription of some sort.

An unspecified number of home matches will not be 15.00 Saturday kick off? Correct.  There are going to be 15 or 16 home games on Saturday next season that will not be automatically televised. See light blue below.  Based on the 5/12ths average (as 5 out of every 12 each weekend round will be on TV, we can expect to see 6 or 7 home games moved for tv.  I’m assuming that opening day and final day will not be 3pm, so we will home for one or the other, so in total of the 16 or 17 home Saturday 3pm games, 7 or 8 will move.  That assumes an even spread.

Now the big question is will games like Cardiff and Swansea at home be picked for tv and therefore no change to this season really, or will they be on top of?  No idea.  Ditto any games moved for Rugby.

Happy if anyone thinks I’ve got the maths wrong.

As I’ve got Sky, I could easily justify not buying a season ticket if I wasn’t getting a free carers ticket.

image.png.6e200bfa0cdbdd53f9e9f49fb773706a.png

⬆️⬆️⬆️

9 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Will RTV still be available overseas?

Yes, see sbove

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

In my opinion I think radio coverage will suffer,would you really want to listen to a match when you could watch it legally?

Who remembers when you could purchase LP's of cup finals on vinyl in the 1970's and 1980's

I listened to football on radio when a little boy and I know it may sound weird to many of you younger ones, but, so long as the commentator is good, it's good to listen. And also if the co commentator is someone like Gary Owers, one gets a rounded view of the game.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I listened to football on radio when a little boy and I know it may sound weird to many of you younger ones, but, so long as the commentator is good, it's good to listen. And also if the co commentator is someone like Gary Owers, one gets a rounded view of the game.

Not alone.

Most away games I'll have on the radio, unless it's midweek and on the red button.

I could stream it, but I quite enjoy not surrendering every Saturday to home games or the idiot lantern. Home games, fine; away.... I can wait for highlights (usually courtesy of @IAmNick - the clip posting legend that they are).

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I'm guessing you may have an idea, but are figures ever released of people tuning in for matches? 

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I love listening to Radio commentary. Especially G.O.

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Eddie Hitler

I had a article published TWELVE MONTHS ago about my concerns at the time.

See me at Ashton Gate against Huddersfield,and I'll show you the article

MOBILE 07565 848 889

Well that sounds mildly sinister.

It's like Mr Bronson meets Buzby.

From the OS

Sky Sports is to become the home of the EFL from 2024/25

17 April 2024 

From next season (2024/25), a new rights agreement between the EFL and Sky Sports comes into effect, making SkySports the home of the EFL.

With over 1,000 EFL fixtures live on Sky Sports via Sky and NOW each season, our club streaming service will cease to offer domestic live video coverage of EFL matches.

The update comes as the EFL begins a five-year rights deal with Sky Sports and will see significantly enhanced exposure for all EFL clubs.

As part of the groundbreaking partnership with Sky Sports, fans will be able to access more action than ever before from across the EFL’s three divisions, as well as every game of the Carabao Cup and Bristol Street Motors Trophy.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12873679/sky-sports-agrees-new-five-year-efl-deal-over-1000-matches-per-season

On 12/04/2024 at 14:02, phantom said:

A little bit I can add, the club are still waiting for confirmation on how the new kick off days and times will impact us, but we are set to get an additional £2.5m from the deal - which clearly makes up for lost attendances

But the assumption is a side will be live at least 20 times over the season

Over the moon with this news. Let’s take another little chunk out of football’s soul, decrease attendances, lose income for match day reliant local business in the area - all for the price of one Gustav Engvall! What a deal. Jesus ******* wept!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would say a third of the seasons games will change day and ko time. This is another reason that people will be reluctant to buy season tickets as you wont be able to plan around the games so easy as most will be short notice changes. Clubs are getting a decent wedge from sky but in my view attendences will reduce across the country as people will be in two minds whether to buy them.

It will kill the live matchday experience for many.  

• Like 1

I’m still a big City fan and enjoy going to AG to watch about 7-10 matches a season. But I do find myself drawn to football elsewhere which is more “pure”. I find myself regularly in South Devon and watched a Buckland Athletic game vs Nailsea & Tickenham. Great set up, modern club house, friendly locals, £7 to get in and £4 a pint of Devon Red cider. 3pm on a Saturday of course .

With this news about the Sky deal, I do think I’m drifting towards this kind of thing becoming the norm rather than the exception. 

Edited by Redminster
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Redminster said:

I’m still a big City fan and enjoy going to AG to watch about 7-10 matches a season. But I do find myself drawn to football elsewhere which is more “pure”. I find myself regularly in South Devon and watched a Buckland Athletic game vs Nailsea & Tickenham. Great set up, modern club house, friendly locals, £7 to get in and £4 a pint of Devon Red cider. 3pm on a Saturday of course .

With this news about the Sky deal, I do think I’m drifting towards this kind of thing becoming the norm rather than the exception. 

It's great for foodies as well, so I've heard.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richyy66 said:

I would say a third of the seasons games will change day and ko time. This is another reason that people will be reluctant to buy season tickets as you wont be able to plan around the games so easy as most will be short notice changes. Clubs are getting a decent wedge from sky but in my view attendences will reduce across the country as people will be in two minds whether to buy them.

It will kill the live matchday experience for many.  

All the changes up to early Jan will be announced by Sky before the season starts.

Personally looking forward to the huge and varied amount of EFL games on Sky next year, though agreed it will probably influence my attendance on numerous City games.