IGNORED

I Say, We Are Top of the League

13 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

This is true but points are a reality whereas performances that satisfy are subjective. I'm old enough to remember Jack Charlton's Boro, one of the most boring turgid sides I ever saw but they won every week and you didn't hear much moaning around Ayresome Park. 

We'll see, I don't think overperformance in terms of pts vs results can be sustained over time.

It isn't about aesthetically pleasing, you can have control of games that isn't pretty and you can have a lot if passing but be destroyed in terms of big chances on the break, it is more that digging out results can only go so far or playing to level X but achieving a Points return of Y, over time . 

22 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’ve agreed that under Manning we’ve been in a patch of what could be called ‘relegation form’ not so long ago - so only fair to acknowledge we’ve been in a patch of what could be called ‘promotion form’ recently.

Feels the sample of ‘poor’ was longer than ‘good’ - but perhaps we’ve turned a corner….Yesterday will likely fall into either category depending on our next few results though.

I’m saying nothing…

(Over 6 games 11 points is playoff form)

42 minutes ago, mozo said:

If the stats point to Manning being a bit 'lucky' (let's simplify), then I can't really argue with that. It raises a question mark about the future and whether our chickens will come home to roost, or whatever the poultry saying is. 

If, however, we are lucky over a sustained period, you'd tend to feel that we must be making our own luck.

Clearly, if Manning can add another 10-15% of that good fortune, we'll all be applauding him.

It's an interesting one. 

The “skill” is all about riding out a “lucky run”, and improving off of the back of the learning from it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The “skill” is all about riding out a “lucky run”, and improving off of the back of the learning from it.

Yep, plus building from a position of strength.

I remember when we had that run under LJ about 4 years ago, in his final year..through January and February, the underlying numbers were definitely worse than this but I was hoping we may tactically and generally build from a position of strength by tweaking the tactics to help underpin the results with more solid performances. To make the results more sustainable.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

11 points from 5 seems low to be top of the form guide - lots of the top of the table sides not enjoying the pressure and nobody else putting a late run together.

Not knocking us being top, just an observation.

It's low for a short-term single set of any 5 games. Fairly often you'd see at least one team winning 4 or even 5 in a row and so posting 12 or 15 points across 5 games.

But, if we were able to maintain that form over all 46 games, we'd hit 101 points, so it's very high in terms of actual games -> points conversion.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's low for a short-term single set of any 5 games. Fairly often you'd see at least one team winning 4 or even 5 in a row and so posting 12 or 15 points across 5 games.

But, if we were able to maintain that form over all 46 games, we'd hit 101 points, so it's very high in terms of actual games -> points conversion.

Yup all true. As I said kinda reflects the top sides struggling at the moment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

Yup all true. As I said kinda reflects the top sides struggling at the moment

Yeh, extend it by one game and we slip to 3rd, then obviously the further back you go through our losing run, the worse we get.

It's still a very good little run of results. No taking away from that at all, and it's nice to have a third little run this season. We had the first under Nigel right at the start of the season, then the 3 festive wins over Sunderland, Hull and Watford, and now this little flourish at the death.

Not enough really, but nice to look at.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Show us the league table of how it would look after all the games Manning has been in charge of?

that would be more reflective 

Pretty similar to the overall league table.

IMG_2700.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Haha. Probably because he's been in charge for 2/3 of the season!

But noteworthy that the two clubs in the bottom 2 who we played after making the change, also changed their managers to considerable upside.

Equally we can all laugh at Sunderland and Birmingham 😅

• Like 1

We're probably 2 or 3 points from 'par' from change of manager to now.

2 wins should maintain the level inherited, xG and results ratio a different issue. I use FBREB as one reference point, I also used to use Experimental 3-6-1 but the website seems to have stopped updating this year.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous