IGNORED

Season finished 3 games before the end…again (well done the board)

Real progress! Top six squad we were told! Progressive appointment….sorry a couple of scrappy results isn’t convincing me (and I include a 5.0 win in that which for me was almost as bad a performance as some of the others…gifted 5 goals and created little ourselves). Worried for next season, he will get the summer and first 10 games for me but I’m not convinced he is any better than LJ. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 11

• The title was changed to Season finished 3 games before the end…again (well done the board)
1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Real progress! Top six squad we were told! Progressive appointment….sorry a couple of scrappy results isn’t convincing me (and I include a 5.0 win in that which for me was almost as bad a performance as some of the others…gifted 5 goals and created little ourselves). Worried for next season, he will get the summer and first 10 games for me but I’m not convinced he is any better than LJ. 

I’d say the season was finished before just 3 games to go 

7 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Last season was written off around the same time 

• Like 1

From the moment they sacked Pearson it was only about retaining our championship status whilst our latest project found his feet.

so far I think he’s done just about ok in terms of points on the board but the entertainment is poor in the main.

Let’s see where we are in oct/november. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ll go the earliest of anyone and say the season was over when we sold our best player and out of pure spite and dislike to the manager didn’t make funds available for a replacement.

Notably, those funds became magically available in January via the bid for Azaz and signing of Twine.

So, in hindsight, August.

Yeah agree mate. 

Nige/Manning/whoever wouldn't have got us top 6 without adequate investment and SL decided against that. Our fate was sealed and we've achieved precisely what I and many others predicted.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeah agree mate. 

Nige/Manning/whoever wouldn't have got us top 6 without adequate investment and SL decided against that. Our fate was sealed and we've achieved precisely what I and many others predicted.

So you don't think we could have beaten Huddersfield x2 +4 points

QPR x2 +5 points

Cardiff x2 +6 points

Without adequate investment? Beating just those 3 teams twice would now see us sitting comfortably in the play offs. 

I can list many other other games where we could and should have got more than we got. 

Whilst I think we should have signed 1-2 more in the summer, we have enough to have done better than we've got. 

Blaming it on 'investment' is just you doubling down. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Season was written off in October really. Really need a good season next year to make up for it.

To make up for the past few seasons.

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So you don't think we could have beaten Huddersfield x2 +4 points

QPR x2 +5 points

Cardiff x2 +6 points

Without adequate investment? Beating just those 3 teams twice would now see us sitting comfortably in the play offs. 

I can list many other other games where we could and should have got more than we got. 

Whilst I think we should have signed 1-2 more in the summer, we have enough to have done better than we've got. 

Blaming it on 'investment' is just you doubling down. 

To be fair, you highlight Cardiff there and one of the two losses was under Nige. We were on fumes that game so saying we could have been plus 3 points without investment from that game is bonkers - the exact problem is we didn’t have resource.

Start of the season I thought keep or adequately replace Scott we had a chance of top six - a punchers chance, but a chance. Not doing so made mid table my expectation. It’s a broader problem that I think we’ve regressed under Liam (and how that bodes for trajectory), but dispassionately he’s going to achieve what I pretty much expected without investment day one.

The fault in performance as ever lies with the board - both for not investing in the summer and for the statements/actions in October. Liam in no way gets a pass but I’d say he’s delivered (positionally) on realistic minimum expectations. Debate/discuss how likely it is he can progress (regress) us further or how he’s got us to those points - and that’s where his issues lie.

• Like 10

Will wait until the end of the season BUT......we were 11th in the league when Manning took over and the board spouted all the bull rubbish about progression, top end, top 10 budget blah blah blah.

Now we're 12th.

Progress, what progress.

Split the fan base, lost the trust of thousands.

Half empty stadium due to the most boring football ever witnessed at the Gate.

Season ticket sales in decline.

Well done John boy and snake. You sure know how to ruin a football club.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, eardun said:

Seriously?

Yes I am being very serious and I note others on here have said the same. That Blackburn win was the least exciting 5.0 in the club history, we were average and gifted the game through error after error from them. Majority of second half was fall asleep mode. We’ve played much better this season like Stoke at home under Nige where we played them off the park and somehow lost. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The same stuff being posted over and over and over again! 

Thing is there’s nothing much different being dished up on the pitch week on week, we’re watching the same dross over and over and over again.. there’s nothing being offered by the club performance wise to change the narrative. And if the changes to the squad over the summer are modest as we are being led to believe and not wholesale, why should we remotely believe LM will be able to deliver anything different next term? It’s friggin depressing, I can’t get why you don’t see that?

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

9 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Season was written off in October really. Really need a good season next year to make up for it.

Indeed. I would go even further to say that the board effectively wrote the season off in the summer by not giving Nige the proper funding that was clearly needed.

Manning has done enough (results wise at least) to be properly backed in the summer. Give him the tools that are needed and then we can properly judge IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FNQ said:

Thing is there’s nothing much different being dished up on the pitch week on week, we’re watching the same dross over and over and over again.. there’s nothing being offered by the club performance wise to change the narrative. And if the changes to the squad over the summer are modest as we are being led to believe and not wholesale, why should we remotely believe LM will be able to deliver anything different next term? It’s friggin depressing, I can’t get why you don’t see that?

The last 5 games we are top of the form table. That is remarkably different to the previous 5 games. We’ve just won 5-0 which wasn’t dross and nor was the Leicester game.  It’s up to you how you want to view it all.  Is it ideal? No. But I prefer to see the glimmers of hope than wallow and keep repeating the same stuff about top 6 squad etc. I work hard all week so prefer to try to find the positives in a football match, a string of results, a good 45 mins etc. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Harsh, especially off the back of winning 5-0 at home (did we EVER batter a team at home like that under Pearson?) and solid albeit battling at time performances against Plymouth and Leicester.. 

I loved Pearson and was gutted to see him go as much as the next person but recent results and performances have given me hope that Manning can get things right. I've gone from fully wanting the bloke gone to being able to rationally look at it now and see small glimpses that he could be on to something.

Certainly not ideal though but it would be foolish to not remember that we were horrendously inconsistent under Pearson.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Indeed. I would go even further to say that the board effectively wrote the season off in the summer by not giving Nige the proper funding that was clearly needed.

Manning has done enough (results wise at least) to be properly backed in the summer. Give him the tools that are needed and then we can properly judge IMO.

Agreed, the worst thing we can do is try to play safe and just give him pennies in case it doesn’t work out.

They should go all in Manning, but the board should stake their futures on him. If it’s a disaster then they should go as well.

E2A: I don’t think with the right backing he will be a disaster, but it’s far too cosy as it stands. 

Edited by luke_bristol
  • Thanks 1

I like most give him the first 10-12 games to give us some sort of game plan ( which at the moment is giving us average to ok points return ) however the style of football really has to improve .

He needs a decent window and our business has to be done early , another big worry for me is that our so say ones for the future Bird / Murphy / Stokes are currently not even playing for there respective clubs , 2 injured and the other regularly on the bench atm 

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The last 5 games we are top of the form table. That is remarkably different to the previous 5 games. We’ve just won 5-0 which wasn’t dross and nor was the Leicester game.  It’s up to you how you want to view it all.  Is it ideal? No. But I prefer to see the glimmers of hope than wallow and keep repeating the same stuff about top 6 squad etc. I work hard all week so prefer to try to find the positives in a football match, a string of results, a good 45 mins etc. 

We support the same club and ultimately want the same thing… however  the Sunderland game a few days before the extraordinary Blackburn game and yesterday a few days later were frankly very, very poor performances . Beating Swansea in another low quality game and Plymouth may have assisted putting us top of a form table.. but you can’t unsee the performances, people are entitled to be offside. We all want to see the green shoots that you mention, and I know I’m going over it again, but ironically that was exactly what a lot of the us were beginning to see at the start of this season and then for reasons most of us will never understand it all changed.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, FNQ said:

We support the same club and ultimately want the same thing… however  the Sunderland game a few days before the extraordinary Blackburn game and yesterday a few days later were frankly very, very poor performances . Beating Swansea in another low quality game and Plymouth may have assisted putting us top of a form table.. but you can’t unsee the performances, people are entitled to be offside. We all want to see the green shoots that you mention, and I know I’m going over it again, but ironically that was exactly what a lot of the us were beginning to see at the start of this season and then for reasons most of us will never understand it all changed.

Everyone will get over that at different points, I get that.  In this league nobody plays well every game and we are poor and draw then it’s not all bad is it.  Everyone needs next season to start well to help people move on and make this forum less of a shit show than it is at the moment 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Harsh, especially off the back of winning 5-0 at home (did we EVER batter a team at home like that under Pearson?) and solid albeit battling at time performances against Plymouth and Leicester.. 

I loved Pearson and was gutted to see him go as much as the next person but recent results and performances have given me hope that Manning can get things right. I've gone from fully wanting the bloke gone to being able to rationally look at it now and see small glimpses that he could be on to something.

Certainly not ideal though but it would be foolish to not remember that we were horrendously inconsistent under Pearson.

Beat Hull 5-0 weimann hat trick

Plymouth 4-1

• Like 1
  • Flames 2