IGNORED

Season finished 3 games before the end…again (well done the board)

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Beat Hull 5-0 weimann hat trick

Plymouth 4-1

Exactly this and those wins were both thrilling and we created numerous chances. Unlike the Blackburn game. 

46 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Harsh, especially off the back of winning 5-0 at home (did we EVER batter a team at home like that under Pearson?) and solid albeit battling at time performances against Plymouth and Leicester.. 

I loved Pearson and was gutted to see him go as much as the next person but recent results and performances have given me hope that Manning can get things right. I've gone from fully wanting the bloke gone to being able to rationally look at it now and see small glimpses that he could be on to something.

Certainly not ideal though but it would be foolish to not remember that we were horrendously inconsistent under Pearson.

Performances and results? Are you joking? It’s been dire and scrappy! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So you don't think we could have beaten Huddersfield x2 +4 points

QPR x2 +5 points

Cardiff x2 +6 points

Without adequate investment? Beating just those 3 teams twice would now see us sitting comfortably in the play offs. 

I can list many other other games where we could and should have got more than we got. 

Whilst I think we should have signed 1-2 more in the summer, we have enough to have done better than we've got. 

Blaming it on 'investment' is just you doubling down. 

Yes, but every other team between ourselves and they playoffs also failed to win 6 games that they would hope to win, so they would like to rewrite history too. The reality is that football is not as simple as you win all the games you're supposed to win, unless you've got a superior (Premier League quality) team, which I think most of us agree, we do not.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Exactly this and those wins were both thrilling and we created numerous chances. Unlike the Blackburn game. 

We conceded numerous chances in the Plymouth 4-1, which we didn't in the Blackburn game (if we're applying your logic)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Context.

This season was the season where everyone expected progression. 

We've regressed. 

Not as far as league position or points though, I think you are looking at the past through rose-tinted specs, I would on average say we are no better or worse than we were under Pearson. I see signs of improvement albeit yesterday was pretty disappointing, as I said to you in another post 5 games unbeaten 1 goal conceded I can't prove it but I bet that record under the previous manager would have you saying what a good job he was doing.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

The same stuff being posted over and over and over again! 

From the same people who only show when we don't win. Embarrassing 

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Yes the battle for 17th place against Hull. Thrilling stuff

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Lack of Action Man said:

This 100%.

Signing players in the January window that won’t be available until the following season? Yeah, that really inspires the fan base that were a dynamic and ambitious club (not).

Tbh in the case of Bird, Derby were clearly driving a hard bargain and are past their existential financial crisis..buying and loaning back for half a season isn't altogether uncommon.

Stokes wouldn't be ready to step up this year, who knows if next year. Aldershot are National League aren't they?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

32 minutes ago, mozo said:

We conceded numerous chances in the Plymouth 4-1, which we didn't in the Blackburn game (if we're applying your logic)

Pearson is better than Manning, end of. No argument on this, Manning’s best achievement is the sack at MK Dons 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh in the case of Bird, Derby were clearly driving a hard bargain and are past their existential financial crisis..buying and loaning back for half a season isn't altogether uncommon.

Whether it is common or not, that type of transfer activity doesn’t inspire much confidence to the fans that the club are/were giving this season “a real go”. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lack of Action Man said:

Whether it is common or not, that type of transfer activity doesn’t inspire much confidence to the fans that the club are/were giving this season “a real go”. 

Next year could be a better go for it year in respect of who goes up, who comes down. FFP position seeing £28.5m pre tax loss drop off the cycle.

Anyway I would argue that if we didn't agree to it, Derby may have kept and looked to go to Tribunal in summer to settle fee. Stokes clearly wouldn't be ready right now.

I don't especially like it, NP never should've been sacked, he merited a new deal and 2 or 3 players perhaps in the Summer post Scott sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Blackburn at Home was 'dire' was it? fair enough if you think it was but our definition of the word is obviously miles apart. Again Plymouth away was a hard fought victory where we were by far the better team for large periods and deservedly won. We got lucky against Leicester granted but we still won the game.

Look im by far the biggest fan of Manning and the absolute disgraceful way that Nige was treated but lets look objectively at recent results and give Manning some credit.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

You say "well done the board (in jest)", but funny thing is we don't have a board!  It's just two men who know almost nothing about running a succesful club and an owner who doesn't seem to care anymore, even though his name's on the bloody biggest stand!

Personally I'd like to see a board made up with OTIB members, for me I'd go for Exiled Ajax,DaveF and Silvio Dante join the board, with Mr Pop running the finance side! Come on guys, make it happen!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Yes I am being very serious and I note others on here have said the same. That Blackburn win was the least exciting 5.0 in the club history, we were average and gifted the game through error after error from them. Majority of second half was fall asleep mode. We’ve played much better this season like Stoke at home under Nige where we played them off the park and somehow lost. 

But I was commenting on your post that said the 5-0 win was “was almost as bad a performance as some of the others”. It was much better than most other performances under Manning and indeed better than most performances this season (even better than v Plymouth under Pearson I would argue given the chances we conceded in that game plus the team that Plymouth put out). Plus our own play forced errors - and indeed most goals scored involve some form of error from the opponent - so I don’t buy the argument that a goal that involves an error does not count. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Pearson is better than Manning, end of. No argument on this, Manning’s best achievement is the sack at MK Dons 

Pearson is gone move on ffs.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Here’s a thought…. When was the last truly meaningful league game we played? I really can’t think…. Wasn’t there a season under LJ where, in theory, we could have made the play-offs with a win and other results going our way? It’s just been season after season finished with dead-rubbers for the last couple of months. Not even a relegation battle! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, you highlight Cardiff there and one of the two losses was under Nige. We were on fumes that game so saying we could have been plus 3 points without investment from that game is bonkers - the exact problem is we didn’t have resource.

Start of the season I thought keep or adequately replace Scott we had a chance of top six - a punchers chance, but a chance. Not doing so made mid table my expectation. It’s a broader problem that I think we’ve regressed under Liam (and how that bodes for trajectory), but dispassionately he’s going to achieve what I pretty much expected without investment day one.

The fault in performance as ever lies with the board - both for not investing in the summer and for the statements/actions in October. Liam in no way gets a pass but I’d say he’s delivered (positionally) on realistic minimum expectations. Debate/discuss how likely it is he can progress (regress) us further or how he’s got us to those points - and that’s where his issues lie.

I must admit I wrote that post after a few beers and had completely forgot about the depleted team that faced Cardiff that day. 

But you can easily replace that Cardiff game with Blackburn away or Sheff Wed away and my point will still stand. 

We have no given right to win those games but going into those games at the time we all considered us to have enough to have beaten those teams. 

25 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I must admit I wrote that post after a few beers and had completely forgot about the depleted team that faced Cardiff that day. 

But you can easily replace that Cardiff game with Blackburn away or Sheff Wed away and my point will still stand. 

We have no given right to win those games but going into those games at the time we all considered us to have enough to have beaten those teams. 

I suspect Leicester and Leeds fans were saying the same thing in the past 48 hours

45 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Pearson is the first manager we'd had for donkey's years who had top flight experience, promotion success and tons of football common-sense, there's no disputing that.

Whether we would have picked up more points with Nige still here is a total mystery, however.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Two players who started just 10/46 league games together last season.

Scotty made 42 league appearances and Semenyo 23 so a significant number, your stat may be correct but gives a biased opinion on the effect those players had on the team