IGNORED

Bath City - Yeboah

• Admin
5 minutes ago, FNQ said:

As you’ve just done by the way, if you disagree with a post, view or opinion then why not offer a response? I didn’t use the ‘P’ word and those two games did actually happen earlier this season which is a fair and valid response to the main point of the CNG post.

You know exactly what I mean, it's yet another Manning Vs Pearson diatribe 

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

You know exactly what I mean, it's yet another Manning Vs Pearson diatribe 

Wrong, I was 100% in Nige’s camp, but just like Alex Scott he’s now gone and we moved on. If anything it was another Manning vs Entertaining Football diatribe.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I will answer. Liam's experience is clearly nowhere near that of Pearson and it cant be for years to come. It certainly doesnt 'trump it' in any way shape or form. I am only referencing Oxford's excellent showing in the early stages of this Oxford season following a summer transfer and training period, so hoping for the same happens for us starting this July.

Thanks and fair shout for the answer.

The issue for me is, you can see oddities in early season, where teams can string some early results together and find themselves at the top end of the table, but can ultimately fall off very quickly as the season pans out.  It’s not unheard of for teams to make the early running and end up fighting relegation by the end of the season.

I was taking a lot of interest in the Oxford forum and there were a good number who weren’t too optimistic that the early form would last.  They were also making similar comments about drab, boring football.

We really can’t put much weight on a short period at the start of the season at Oxford, particularly when you consider what happened during his second season at MK.  It’s no use him saying it was due to losing a couple of his best players, as that’s par for the course at our club, so he needs to be able to work with that.

Any sane City fans will want to see him succeed at our club, as we all benefit from that.  That’s a very different from your apparent blind faith in him and claiming he’s a far better option than Pearson, whilst their respective records and circumstances tell a very different story.  He could possibly turn out to be a gem, but there’s not too much to indicate that so far.  

There is one thing he’s given us evidence of though.  Whilst NP publically stated he wanted to carry on and see this project through, I’d put money on LM being off like a shot if a better offer came in, as Oxford have found out.  I think it looks very likely if he does achieve anything here, he won’t be hanging around long!

• Like 2

On 15/04/2024 at 14:37, Curr Avon said:

Why has virtually every thread turned into a "wedge issue"? Is this a City fans' forum or the Conservative Campaign Headquarters?

Absolutely, 100%, spot on, CA.

This is, quite literally, the first thread on the football forum that I've even looked at for 6 weeks. The thread on the pre-match press conference before the Swansea game was the final straw for me. The place seemed to have become little more than an echo chamber of people looking for reasons to hate Manning.

I can't say I've missed it so wasn't thinking of looking, but I happened to see a 'latest post' headline and thought I'd be interested to see how Yeboah is progressing. Maybe find out how he's doing, some discussion on whether he's showing strengths, weaknesses, whether any of these might be a fit with our style and set up. None of it. About four posts about Yeboah and then it turns into 'reasons to slag off Manning' and 'Pearson v Manning' yet again.

It's just pathetic. 

It seems like little has changed in those 6 weeks, so thanks for confirming that! I'm off again!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@BrizzleRed

written just before he was appointed.

Thanks Dave.  

Haven't seen that before and you seem to paint quite a positive picture of his style on there.  We'll have to hope he can replicate that, now he's stepped up to this division🤞🤞🤞

I've also still got concerns about the lack of game time for our younger players too, though can't blame him for prioritising points on the board first I suppose.  NP just didn't have the luxury of choice in that regard, as he had to chuck the young ones in, as he had nobody else available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Haven't seen that before and you seem to paint quite a positive picture of his style on there.  We'll have to hope he can replicate that, now he's stepped up to this division

Was certainly trying to be positive / open-minded.

I hadn’t spent any real time posting my thoughts on OTIB about who the manager would be, because I knew whoever it was I’d be able to spin it, so I wanted to avoid that.  @Harry had done his LM appraisal earlier, so I sat and waited for it to become an almost “done deal” before putting my thoughts on twitter (replicated on here).

I guess my disappointments on his tenure so far focus on the things I thought an “on the grass” coach would improve, but haven’t improved, in some cases gotten worse - no hugely, but enough.  Now is not the time to go through it all again.  He will be here next season, I hope he creates improvement / progress, not just in the team, but in his own skillset too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hadn’t spent any real time posting my thoughts on OTIB about who the manager would be, because I knew whoever it was I’d be able to spin it, so I wanted to avoid that.  @Harry had done his LM appraisal earlier, so I sat and waited for it to become an almost “done deal” before putting my thoughts on twitter (replicated on here).

I guess my disappointments on his tenure so far focus on the things I thought an “on the grass” coach would improve, but haven’t improved, in some cases gotten worse - no hugely, but enough.  Now is not the time to go through it all again.  He will be here next season, I hope he creates improvement / progress, not just in the team, but in his own skillset too.

End of season is where he could do with a mentor to help him analyse his own performance, agree what's working well, and suggest areas for improvement, and an implementation plan.

Is Tins going to (or able) to do that? Cus if things get left as they are, he'll probably end up making the same mistakes next season. For example, Knight in wrong role, exclusively one upfront, sometimes playing too conservatively, taking too much notice of what the opposition are going to do, and combating that, instead of giving them problems with combating us.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's more than fair and makes sense.  I think its proved to be a big step up for him, but to be fair, he's done enough to get his pre-season in and then has the chance to show what he can do with a fresh start next season.

Now to keep others happy and getting the thread back on track, I wonder if Yeboah will be featuring next season!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FNQ said:

During that excellent showing in the early stages of this Oxford season we put nine past them over two games. Still one of the football worlds biggest ever mysteries why we then decided to swap our coaching team for theirs???

That isn't a logical argument for so many reasons!

On 17/04/2024 at 10:48, BrizzleRed said:

Thanks and fair shout for the answer.

The issue for me is, you can see oddities in early season, where teams can string some early results together and find themselves at the top end of the table, but can ultimately fall off very quickly as the season pans out.  It’s not unheard of for teams to make the early running and end up fighting relegation by the end of the season.

I was taking a lot of interest in the Oxford forum and there were a good number who weren’t too optimistic that the early form would last.  They were also making similar comments about drab, boring football.

We really can’t put much weight on a short period at the start of the season at Oxford, particularly when you consider what happened during his second season at MK.  It’s no use him saying it was due to losing a couple of his best players, as that’s par for the course at our club, so he needs to be able to work with that.

Any sane City fans will want to see him succeed at our club, as we all benefit from that.  That’s a very different from your apparent blind faith in him and claiming he’s a far better option than Pearson, whilst their respective records and circumstances tell a very different story.  He could possibly turn out to be a gem, but there’s not too much to indicate that so far.  

There is one thing he’s given us evidence of though.  Whilst NP publically stated he wanted to carry on and see this project through, I’d put money on LM being off like a shot if a better offer came in, as Oxford have found out.  I think it looks very likely if he does achieve anything here, he won’t be hanging around long!

Well there you go, I agree with everything you mention above and would add a couple of comments which would upset others (i really dont care) but you would respect as my opinion. Many 'fans' on this forum are not sane (on, insane!) and would appear to not want certain managers to succeed, whether it is Lee, Mark A, Deano, Pearson or Liam. 

I for one wanted all to succeed and am the most disappointed with Pearson - lots of reasons but that's another story and based on the highest expectations, as well as the state he left us in. I agree one has to be a madder optimist than me to see too many golden shoots so far with Liam and i 100% agree he will be off if he does well and a better offer comes along. A friend of mine reckons he will manage West Ham inside 2 years.

Most important question is what he does to cull our bloated squad of players simply not good enough to get us to the Top 6, who he brings in to mould into 'his team (remember Pearson had 30 months and was fired without us having proven scorers) and how he continues to outwit coaches of the better teams; - ok, this may be 3 questions, sorry!

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Well there you go, I agree with everything you mention above and would add a couple of comments which would upset others (i really dont care) but you would respect as my opinion. Many 'fans' on this forum are not sane (on, insane!) and would appear to not want certain managers to succeed, whether it is Lee, Mark A, Deano, Pearson or Liam. 

With respect, I really don’t agree there are many fans on this forum who don’t want certain manager/head coaches to succeed.  That’s an accusation thrown around far too readily and I just don’t buy it …… you just don’t support a club and want your manager to fail, so making your club fail too.

I’m sure almost all fans want someone to succeed when they come in.  I see it far more as some fans are less tolerant when they perceive a manager is failing and they don’t see them as having the ability to turn it around.  That isn’t WANTING a manager to fail and more that they want someone out who they feel IS failing.  Two very different things in my book.

We can make the argument about having patience and on some occasions that can pay off (Alan Dicks), but in cases like LJ, patience really didn’t benefit us at all. 

I for one wanted all to succeed and am the most disappointed with Pearson - lots of reasons but that's another story and based on the highest expectations, as well as the state he left us in.

I’d really like to hear the “lots of reasons” why you were disappointed in NP and I also wonder what you mean by “the state he left us in??”

Are you taking into account the  massive cost cutting he had to carry out, plus having a load of expensive players walking out on free transfers because the club allowed it to happen?  What I see he left us with is a club who now have an honest, battling mentality and whilst not the most technically talented bunch, they give everything and Pearson can take full credit for instilling that attitude.  

He had precious little money for recruitment, so what quality of player did you actually expect him to bring in under those restrictions?

I agree one has to be a madder optimist than me to see too many golden shoots so far with Liam and i 100% agree he will be off if he does well and a better offer comes along. A friend of mine reckons he will manage West Ham inside 2 years.

Yep, we agree on that one for sure, though not so sure about the West Ham bit.

Most important question is what he does to cull our bloated squad of players simply not good enough to get us to the Top 6, who he brings in to mould into 'his team (remember Pearson had 30 months and was fired without us having proven scorers) and how he continues to outwit coaches of the better teams; - ok, this may be 3 questions, sorry!

I’d certainly query your point about us having a bloated squad.  Sometimes we’ve struggled to get 11 out fit players on the pitch let alone have a full bench, so I wouldn’t consider that bloated!  

As for us not having proven scorers, do you really think Pearson wasn’t aware of that.  They don’t grow on trees and with the miniscule funds he was given, he had to concentrate on getting in relatively cheap, dependable players who would work damn hard and try to grind out results.  

You can bet, if he was given a bigger budget, his shopping list would have been very different from what he had to settle for.

In short, you say you were disappointed with what Nigel Pearson achieved.  I would counter that by saying, considering the massive restrictions and cost cutting under his tenure, imho it was a wonder he actually kept us in the division, let alone in the top half of the table!

I’ll be totally honest here and say I feel the club dropped a massive bollock sacking NP, rather than backing him.  In all fairness to LM, considering his lack of experience and so far, largely uninspiring football, he’s done ok and got us comfortably safe.

I don’t see the big problem as LM though, it’s the big man at the top and the incompetants he’s installed below him.  If SL doesn’t dip into that nest egg pronto, Manning will be battling with the same issues Pearson was, but without the massive football knowledge and experience to help him counteract that.  

If he does get some funds to strengthen the right areas, it’ll be interesting to see what he can do with it.   Unfortunately thanks to SL, there will always be questions about what could also have been achieved if NP was backed in the same way.

Anyway, thanks for the response CNG and good to have an adult conversation👍 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Fair play for your patient response @BrizzleRed.  I find it bizarre that it still needs spelling out, and just as bizarre that it keeps getting raised over 5 months after the bloke got sacked.  I also find it bizarre to talk of a bloated squad.  A squad is a squad.  It won’t ever contain 25+ players all of top 6 ability, unless it’s because we’ve been relegated from the PL! Hey ho! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I for one wanted all to succeed and am the most disappointed with Pearson - lots of reasons but that's another story and based on the highest expectations, as well as the state he left us in. I agree one has to be a madder optimist than me to see too many golden shoots so far with Liam and i 100% agree he will be off if he does well and a better offer comes along. A friend of mine reckons he will manage West Ham inside 2 years.

I disagree with your comment that we have a bloated squad. We’ve spent most of the season with a bench full of academy players!  

Also, please tell us what state Pearson left us in? Do you mean the £30m plus we got from the sale of Alex Scott and Semenyo? Or the bloat he successfully got rid of?

• Like 5

On 15/04/2024 at 07:39, Lrrr said:

The loans like this are more for experiencing the physicality/speed/competitiveness of senior league football over academy football more then anything, needing to take chances when they come because you may not see much of the ball etc, in academy football ‘oh well score it next time’ in league football ‘oh no I may not get another chance and that could cost us dearly’ 

This. Exactly. 

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fair play for your patient response @BrizzleRed.  I find it bizarre that it still needs spelling out, and just as bizarre that it keeps getting raised over 5 months after the bloke got sacked.  I also find it bizarre to talk of a bloated squad.  A squad is a squad.  It won’t ever contain 25+ players all of top 6 ability, unless it’s because we’ve been relegated from the PL! Hey ho! 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s weird isn’t it?

I know there’s been a general suspicion that the anti-Nige views on here are generally being posted on by Bristol Sport employees.

It’s pretty clear there are a few guilty of that, but I’m beginning to wonder though if we actually have a significant element within our fanbase who just have a completely different and skewed view of reality.  It seems their negative views are so deeply entrenched that regardless of any evidence presented to them, they’re determined to view Pearson’s time here in a negative light.  

They play down or deny the restrictions he was working under, or the very real danger of us crashing out of this division, due to having to throw so many inexperienced youngsters in at the same time.  Their determination to view Nige maintaining our Championship status at a time of massive cost-cutting and squad upheaval as some kind of failure, rather than an undoubted success is really odd.  

Possibly they expected Nige to be some kind of miracle worker, who could wave a magic wand and instantly wipe away years of mis-management of this club and it just wasn’t happening quickly enough for them.  It’ll be interesting to see if they show the same degree of impatience with LM, particularly as most of the heavy lifting has now been done.

I still can’t get my head round how some fans can still hold on to such negative views about a bloke who somehow dragged this club out of some really deep shit, caused by the very people who eventually sacked him!

Prior to Nige arriving here, if I’d been compiling a list of the most potentially divisive managers we could bring in, he wouldn’t have been anywhere near that list.  

It’s a strange old world!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

It’s pretty clear there are a few guilty of that, but I’m beginning to wonder though if we actually have a significant element within our fanbase who just have a completely different and skewed view of reality.  It seems their negative views are so deeply entrenched that regardless of any evidence presented to them, they’re determined to view Pearson’s time here in a negative light.  

Firstly, although Bristol Sport did sign up on here, I don’t think that’s the issue, although they are reading OTIB more and more (fact).

And apart from a small number of posters who are negative about everything, there is a small group of posters who cannot give Nige any credit / attempt to undermine / understate what he did here.

Hell, I’m “sack Manning” but I still find time to praise stuff he’s done.

I think it stems from a few places:

- the signing of Danny Simpson

- a run of awful home form in his early tenure

- the speaking out against the hierarchy publicly (and internally no doubt)

You can explain why you think differently, the context etc.  in some cases they’ll agree / accept that, then two posts later they’re back on the old agenda.

I guess OTIB would be boring otherwise, but I still find it bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

It’s weird isn’t it?

I know there’s been a general suspicion that the anti-Nige views on here are generally being posted on by Bristol Sport employees.

They play down or deny the restrictions he was working under, or the very real danger of us crashing out of this division, due to having to throw so many inexperienced youngsters in at the same time.  Their determination to view Nige maintaining our Championship status at a time of massive cost-cutting and squad upheaval as some kind of failure, rather than an undoubted success is really odd.  

Possibly they expected Nige to be some kind of miracle worker, who could wave a magic wand and instantly wipe away years of mis-management of this club and it just wasn’t happening quickly enough for them.  It’ll be interesting to see if they show the same degree of impatience with LM, particularly as most of the heavy lifting has now been done.

I still can’t get my head round how some fans can still hold on to such negative views about a bloke who somehow dragged this club out of some really deep shit, caused by the very people who eventually sacked him!

Prior to Nige arriving here, if I’d been compiling a list of the most potentially divisive managers we could bring in, he wouldn’t have been anywhere near that list.  

It’s a strange old world!!!

Actually see it differently most of the rabid posts on here coming from pro Nige / won’t have Manning camp , every good win is played down , every poor or even average performance savaged , I loved Nige and he did all you say , but like it or not some on here must move on and give this bloke a proper chance , as others have pointed out the negativity on here from some has reached a ridiculous state 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

@BrizzleRed great post, which I won’t quote because of its length.

I would add that to broaden this debate somewhat we still get the same rubbish trotted out by a few on here re Gary Johnson, whose record (so facts, not opinion) pisses over everyone else who has managed us since AD.

There are undoubtedly some strange ones out there.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, although Bristol Sport did sign up on here, I don’t think that’s the issue, although they are reading OTIB more and more (fact).

And apart from a small number of posters who are negative about everything, there is a small group of posters who cannot give Nige any credit / attempt to undermine / understate what he did here.

Hell, I’m “sack Manning” but I still find time to praise stuff he’s done.

I think it stems from a few places:

- the signing of Danny Simpson

- a run of awful home form in his early tenure

- the speaking out against the hierarchy publicly (and internally no doubt)

You can explain why you think differently, the context etc.  in some cases they’ll agree / accept that, then two posts later they’re back on the old agenda.

I guess OTIB would be boring otherwise, but I still find it bizarre.

Yeah, reckon you’ve nailed it there 👍

23 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Actually see it differently most of the rabid posts on here coming from pro Nige / won’t have Manning camp , every good win is played down , every poor or even average performance savaged , I loved Nige and he did all you say , but like it or not some on here must move on and give this bloke a proper chance , as others have pointed out the negativity on here from some has reached a ridiculous state 

There’s always going to be differing opinions and that’s how it should be.  It’s the extreme opinions that totally ignore the facts that cause the issues I think and that goes for both sides.

I certainly sympathise with LM as he’s been set up by the morons above him.  That said, he still needs to actually outperform NP to provide any kind of vindication for Nige’s sacking and so far, he hasn’t achieved that, either in terms of performance, or results.

I still maintain sacking Nige was arguably the biggest **** up SL has made at the club, but that’s done now and can’t be changed and Lansdown can’t hide from that decision.  I think that’s why there are some attacks on people who appear to be BS employees, or Lansdown apologists and unfortunately, some of the fallout can then land on LM, which is unfair on him.

What does jarr is when some people get carried away and claim how much things have improved under LM, when the facts confirm they clearly haven’t.  That sort of thing is just stoking the fire.

Hopefully when this season is put to bed, we can all just focus on next season, but my concern is, there will always be comparisons being made between NP and LM, so I just hope Manning’s got enough about him to stand up well in those comparisons!

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

57 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

@BrizzleRed great post, which I won’t quote because of its length.

I would add that to broaden this debate somewhat we still get the same rubbish trotted out by a few on here re Gary Johnson, whose record (so facts, not opinion) pisses over everyone else who has managed us since AD.

There are undoubtedly some strange ones out there.

So true GC and I suppose it takes all sorts to make a world.

• Thanks 1