IGNORED

Sound of the city

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That's exactly the point being made. The women should have their own show, then we wouldn't have a shortened programme for the men's team.

Out of reactions but yes.

It's easy to do:

6.00 - 6.45 Sound of the City - men's first team

6.45 - 7.00 Sound of the City - women's first team

Radio Bristol isn't a commercial broadcaster so it doesn't matter what the listening figures are and they won't be disclosed.

I usually listen on Sounds so have to skip the women's football segment which is an inexact science given that there are no chapters.

13 hours ago, bs3 said:

Does the Rovers programme talk feature their women’s team ?    

Is  a one hour football show dedicated to Bristol City on our local broadcaster to much to ask for 

Yes, Having A Gas has featured Rovers women on their show. As has The Scrum which has had Bristol Bears Women on their show too

And Sound of the City is a dedicated show to Bristol City. One episode just happens to focus more on City Women (a team that is in the top flight in a league with more exposure than ever) and people are losing their minds...

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Are Bristol City Cerebral Palsy FC, Bristol City Deaf FC, Bristol City Down Syndrome FC and Bristol City Frame FC (who all featured in some form on Saturday) also "leeching"?

I think these teams are under the Robins Foundation umbrella, whereas City Women are a full-time, professional unit. Unlike Rovers' team who are funded entirely by the Rovers' equivalent of the Robins Foundation (and somehow secured yet another promotion this season)

37 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You are welcome to support both of course but most people do not and this should be recognised, on here by having a separate subforum now that the "Ignore threads" functionality doesn't work.

There is a subforum all about City Women, which I am not sure if the OP was aware of. Part of the reason I joined OTIB was to add to this discussion (and I am glad others are doing so too)

29 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Lets not forget how the owner ditched the original women’s team like a hot potatoe when it wasn’t commercially viable. 

I assume you are referring to the previous iteration that ended in the 2000s. The sport has come a long, long way since then. Even Manchester United disbanded their women's team when the Glazers took over at that time, but then was reformed over 10 years later

17 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That's exactly the point being made. The women should have their own show, then we wouldn't have a shortened programme for the men's team.

I wouldn't expect any BBC local radio station to do that. If a team is under a football club, they should appear on that relevant programme

8 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Out of reactions but yes.

It's easy to do:

6.00 - 6.45 Sound of the City - men's first team

6.45 - 7.00 Sound of the City - women's first team

To be honest, this is how it has been regularly, but last night was a much-needed fans panel & needed the dedicated time for it, much like an episode from a few weeks ago featuring men's team fans in the studio. I support both teams so I don't skip the show at all - and I even got into the women's team because of the men's team

The City Women fanbase is growing. As part of the SC&T board, I have seen how the women now have their own awards, HOF inductees, and away support/coach travel for WSL fixtures has been popular.

It's not often that City Women get a majority focus on Sound of the City; and even rare that fans are live in the studio.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week's show to see what is discussed about Saturday's home game against Liverpool, as well as the away game at Norwich (which I'm going to and therefore missing the women at home despite being a ST holder)...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

And Sound of the City is a dedicated show to Bristol City. One episode just happens to focus more on City Women (a team that is in the top flight in a league with more exposure than ever) and people are losing their minds...

Hardly that.  Rather objecting to tuning in to hear about one team and then being told about another one in the middle of it.

Though I have cherry picked from what is a very balanced post with which I mostly agree.

As an analogy I think a lot of us were fed up with hearing about Yeovil on Saturday afternoons or TTB on the RB frequency when they were in the league because they are a Somerset club and should instead be covered on BBC Radio Somerset, leaving RB for Bristol clubs.

I'm not against Yeovil, but I don't support them so am not much interested in their day to day activities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Bit disappointing to read most of these comments. Last night's episode was a much needed live discussion/fans panel from two City Women fans & good friends of mine (one of which is a fellow SC&T board member but was giving their own opinions) - to go into detail & to hold people to account.

There's been a bit of imbalance between City men coverage & City women coverage in some episodes this season (and in some episodes there was no mention at all despite the team playing a game that weekend), so it was great for Radio Bristol to use their platform to give more time & coverage on their main show for Bristol City.

Radio Bristol go to City Women's press conferences & also cover the WSL home games - but a lot of match going fans like myself will miss that coverage for obvious reasons, hence usually listening to Sound of the City instead.

As Nigel Pearson once said, the women's team are also a first team, just like the men's...

I think the comments on this thread are ok really - so it shouldn't be disappointing that people don't hold the same opinion.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Or maybe most people just aren’t interested in women’s football?  

Most people aren't interested in Bristol City men either. Lots are though. And huge numbers of people are interested in women's football too.

Edited by astrondrew
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Hardly that.  Rather objecting to tuning in to hear about one team and then being told about another one in the middle of it.

Though I have cherry picked from what is a very balanced post with which I mostly agree.

As an analogy I think a lot of us were fed up with hearing about Yeovil on Saturday afternoons or TTB on the RB frequency when they were in the league because they are a Somerset club and should instead be covered on BBC Radio Somerset, leaving RB for Bristol clubs.

I'm not against Yeovil, but I don't support them so am not much interested in their day to day activities.

I don't listen to Saturday matchdays much (if at all), but am aware that BBC Radio Bristol & BBC Radio Somerset combined have to cover a lot of various football & rugby teams that may play that day. And I believe one game may feature on both stations. Plus, there's one game covered on one frequency (DAB) for one station then another for the same station, but on a different frequency (AM/FM?)...

• Like 2

Thanks again for the heads up. Really interesting chat about the Bristol City Women's team after the slightly less interesting chat about the Bristol City Men's team.

Personally, I'm delighted we have a radio show dedicated to our club.

It's a shame that some are so vehemently against women's football but I don't mind them forcing their opinions on us all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, astrondrew said:

Most people aren't interested in Bristol City men either. Lots are though. And huge numbers of people are interested in women's football too.

Is this people likely to listen to SOTC, watch City matches,  or generally?

Either way there is really no comparison in terms of interest between the two versions of the sport.

13 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

If all football reporting was only focused on the most popular teams, it would be rubbish.

Im talking Bristol City not Manchester City. You referred to most people being disinterested in the mens team and huge numbers being interested in the womens team.

I dont think figures bear out those assertions.

I have no evidence, but I suspect the majority of City fans whether male or female have more interest in the so called pathway teams rather than the womens team for the obvious reason the next Scott or Semenyo is involved.

However, those sides get zilch exposure compared to the womens team, which I guess is ok by you.

Edited by Natchfever

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

You referred to most people being disinterested in the mens team and huge numbers being interested in the womens team.

No I didn't. I said most people aren't interested in Bristol City men and lots of people are interested in women's football.

Yes, more people support the men's team but if all football reporting was only about the most popular teams, local radio would be so much the poorer.

10 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

No I didn't. I said most people aren't interested in Bristol City men and lots of people are interested in women's football.

Yes, more people support the men's team but if all football reporting was only about the most popular teams, local radio would be so much the poorer. 

Read your own post !

Rovers are 1/3 the size of City but get at least equal media attention.

Absolutely fine theres a slot for women, im just picking up your obvious inaccuracies and making the point that some teams of genuine inrerest to City fans barely get a look in by their own club let alone the general media.

Edited by Natchfever

41 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

It's a shame that some are so vehemently against women's football but I don't mind them forcing their opinions on us all.

There don't seem to be any examples of anyone "vehemently against" women's football, just a lot of people who are not interested in it.

As I am also not interested in Formula 1 racing.

I would also object if Formula 1 was covered in SOTC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, astrondrew said:

"Most people aren't interested in Bristol City men either. Lots are though. And huge numbers of people are interested in women's football too."

Exactly what I said.

Ah so I missed out "lots are though".

This thread is about SOTC I thought ?

Is that not so?

27 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

Do would I. It's about Bristol City football.

Which for most people comprises the the men's first team with some interest in the U23s and youth as reserves or players of the future.

I know those of us who aren't interested in women's football, which is a clear majority, are often painted as being the extremists but I would say on this thread that it's the women's football fans who are throwing their toys out of the pram that people have the sheer temerity not to share their interest.

Edited by Eddie Hitler
Unexpected autocorrect for "toys"!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Yes, Having A Gas has featured Rovers women on their show. As has The Scrum which has had Bristol Bears Women on their show too

I think these teams are under the Robins Foundation umbrella, whereas City Women are a full-time, professional unit. Unlike Rovers' team who are funded entirely by the Rovers' equivalent of the Robins Foundation (and somehow secured yet another promotion this season)

There is a subforum all about City Women, which I am not sure if the OP was aware of. Part of the reason I joined OTIB was to add to this discussion (and I am glad others are doing so too)

I assume you are referring to the previous iteration that ended in the 2000s. The sport has come a long, long way since then. Even Manchester United disbanded their women's team when the Glazers took over at that time, but then was reformed over 10 years later

I wouldn't expect any BBC local radio station to do that. If a team is under a football club, they should appear on that relevant programme

To be honest, this is how it has been regularly, but last night was a much-needed fans panel & needed the dedicated time for it, much like an episode from a few weeks ago featuring men's team fans in the studio. I support both teams so I don't skip the show at all - and I even got into the women's team because of the men's team

The City Women fanbase is growing. As part of the SC&T board, I have seen how the women now have their own awards, HOF inductees, and away support/coach travel for WSL fixtures has been popular.

It's not often that City Women get a majority focus on Sound of the City; and even rare that fans are live in the studio.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week's show to see what is discussed about Saturday's home game against Liverpool, as well as the away game at Norwich (which I'm going to and therefore missing the women at home despite being a ST holder)...

I know you are a big fan of the ladies team and fair play for that, but most of us are not. However I'm sure all of us wish them the best. My son wants to come down for the game against Man City.

I think the point you may be missing is that SOTC has always been a Bristol City show. A show dedicated to talking about Bristol City for an hour. That little time is now being share with the ladies team which only interests a small percentage of SOTC. People would be saying the same if SOTC had a show predominantly about our under 12s team for example so try and not take it personally. 

Do you not actually think it does the ladies team a disservice by being tagged on at the end of the talk about men's football? Don't you think they should have their own show where they can grow their own audiences? 

They wouldn't put women's highlights on the MOTD show for example. 

I personally don't know if the women's teams being formed as some sort of franchise of the men teams will last the fullness of time. I think their game does need to find its own way and built its own culture, because thats what makes football so popular. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Which for most people comprises the the men's first team with some interest in the U23s and youth as reserves or players of the future.

I wonder if that's why the BBC have dedicated the overwhelming majority of the show over the season to the men?

12 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

Fair enough. It's easier for you to argue with that than what I am actually saying or think.

Go ahead.

What you are saying (writing) I presume you think, and are a matter of record on this thread.

What you have posted is worthy of challenge, as it is nonsense.

3 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

Great. Please do then, rather than pretending I was talking about listeners to Sound of the City on that post.

This thread is about a show dedicated to Bristol City on a Bristol City forum, used almost exclusively by Bristol City fans.

Again, please try and argue with a point I have made rather than one I haven't. 

Just to be clear, I do not think (and nobody else does either) that most people who listen to Sound of the City don't like Bristol City men's team.

Edited by astrondrew

2 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

Again, please try and argue with a point I have made rather than one I haven't. 

Just to be clear, I do not think (and nobody else does either) that most people who listen to Sound of the City don't like Bristol City men's team.

Why try to hijack the thread then?

Someone posted that most people arent interested in womens football on a thread about a show dedicated (until now) to the senior mens team at BCFC.

He clearly posted in the context of BCFC.

You responded to that post.