IGNORED

Sound of the city

29 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

What a load of tosh tonight all about the womens team Dave pottier was on briefly but so say a bad line had to turn off very disapointing. .

Poor old Dave. But he is used to being drowned out!

City Women bless them look doomed. What are their attendances like? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Poor old Dave. But he is used to being drowned out!

City Women bless them look doomed. What are their attendances like? 

Average is just under 7.4k, 5th behind Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Man C.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Me and my kids have been to a few games, they just havent got the squad to be competitive. 

That's because, just like with the mens team, they were let down massively in both summer and January transfer windows. Had a couple of decent acquisitions been made, they could have had the extra couple of wins, and a couple of draws that would see them not rooted to the foot of the table. Couple that with Lauren Smith's insistence on playing players out of position, refusal to move from playing 1 up front (apart from giving Shania Hayles, the best finisher at the club, the last 5 minutes of the occasional game) and like for like, rather than tactical, substitutions (where have I seen that before?!). A massive opportunity missed.

Edited by Red Homer
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cityboy1954 said:

What a load of tosh tonight all about the womens team Dave pottier was on briefly but so say a bad line had to turn off very disapointing. .

As soon as they said it was going to be mainly about City women I turned off. Not that I dislike them - hell, I watched the entire 90 mins on Sky yesterday - but I'm only inerested in non matchday mens team discussion.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

As soon as they said it was going to be mainly about City women I turned off. Not that I dislike them - hell, I watched the entire 90 mins on Sky yesterday - but I'm only inerested in non matchday mens team discussion.

Yeh it was on in our local nobody watching it .

Two separate teams , if Radio Bristol want to do a show about Bristol City women they should have their own show. I switched off because I have no interest in the women’s team .  Does the Rovers programme talk feature their women’s team ?    

Is  a one hour football show dedicated to Bristol City on our local broadcaster to much to ask for 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

I’m glad that I forgot to listen in.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Two separate teams , if Radio Bristol want to do a show about Bristol City women they should have their own show. I switched off because I have no interest in the women’s team .  Does the Rovers programme talk feature their women’s team ?    

Is  a one hour football show dedicated to Bristol City on our local broadcaster to much to ask for 

Yes.

Usually it's the last twenty minutes so it just serves to shorten the show for me.

In another business this would be regarded as "passing off" or copyright infringement.

Good luck to them and I'm glad that their fans enjoy it but please stop foisting it upon the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The women get good attendances but very low prices will be a big factor.

It's a family day out but not sure this equates to widespread keen interest outside of matchdays.

Hence a City women's show would have very few listeners so it's tagged on to Sounds of the City where there's already a captive audience.

I'd be switching off at that stage because I'm simply not interested.

9 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Why can’t the women’s team have their own separate show? We got 5 minutes of Dave speaking on a bad line and that was it. 

Because the listening figures, like the gate receipts, would be miniscule.

I am all for women's football becoming successful in its own right but at present it is parasitically leeching money and press coverage from the well supported football team that has been going for over a century.

It should stand, or fall, on its own two feet instead of the current situation of mixing in (women's players in the men's calendar) and passing off: "Bristol City" beat "Arsenal".

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I am all for women's football becoming successful in its own right but at present it is parasitically leeching money and press coverage from the well supported football team that has been going for over a century.

It should stand, or fall, on its own two feet instead of the current situation of mixing in (women's players in the men's calendar) and passing off: "Bristol City" beat "Arsenal".

Are Bristol City Cerebral Palsy FC, Bristol City Deaf FC, Bristol City Down Syndrome FC and Bristol City Frame FC (who all featured in some form on Saturday) also "leeching"?

15 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Are Bristol City Cerebral Palsy FC, Bristol City Deaf FC, Bristol City Down Syndrome FC and Bristol City Frame FC (who all featured in some form on Saturday) also "leeching"?

They are, but nobody minds that, and as I have said on a previous post I don't mind the women's team being funded as it probably costs less than half a first team player's wages.

What they are not however doing is passing themselves off as Bristol City.

Bit disappointing to read most of these comments. Last night's episode was a much needed live discussion/fans panel from two City Women fans & good friends of mine (one of which is a fellow SC&T board member but was giving their own opinions) - to go into detail & to hold people to account.

There's been a bit of imbalance between City men coverage & City women coverage in some episodes this season (and in some episodes there was no mention at all despite the team playing a game that weekend), so it was great for Radio Bristol to use their platform to give more time & coverage on their main show for Bristol City.

Radio Bristol go to City Women's press conferences & also cover the WSL home games - but a lot of match going fans like myself will miss that coverage for obvious reasons, hence usually listening to Sound of the City instead.

As Nigel Pearson once said, the women's team are also a first team, just like the men's...

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I believe that the ladies were trying to establish their game a century ago but ran into some ... difficulties with the, er, blokes at the FA (otherwise they might be a bit more, stand alone, by now)

6 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

As Nigel Pearson once said, the women's team are also a first team, just like the men's...

But if you have no interest in that team then you don't want it mixed in with the coverage, either in Sound of the City or online news, of the team in which you are interested.

You are welcome to support both of course but most people do not and this should be recognised, on here by having a separate subforum now that the "Ignore threads" functionality doesn't work.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I believe that the ladies were trying to establish their game a century ago but ran into some ... difficulties with the, er, blokes at the FA (otherwise they might be a bit more, stand alone, by now)

And also during the last war when there many very successful women's teams.

It's a proper sport with its own support, it's the passing off by the media that irriates me.

13 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Yes, but they’re not the men’s team are they. 

Lets not forget how the owner ditched the original women’s team like a hot potatoe when it wasn’t commercially viable. 

9 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Yes, but they’re not the men’s team are they. 

Lets not forget how the owner ditched the original women’s team like a hot potatoe when it wasn’t commercially viable. 

Yes, but to be fair the men's team is far more commercially unviable unless and until it breaks into the Premiership and stays there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Most people aren't interested in Rovers but they still get a show

That's exactly the point being made. The women should have their own show, then we wouldn't have a shortened programme for the men's team.

• Like 1