IGNORED

Player progression

The turtle

August 2023 - end of season 2024

Which players have progressed and/or are seen on a more positive light by the Fanbase

I would say

max has more trust.

Tanner has a bit more respect, actually becoming better with a bit of time out the side.

Knight has been good been more than decent when played in the right positions. But i often feel; if there's a game he's the best player it's because all creativity has been poor. He gives the side energy, he keeps it ticking, but he shouldn't be the best player.

Has anybody else really kicked on? Who can you see currently being developed into something more?

12 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Roberts looks far better than at the start of the season

He must have still been injured when he came on against Rotherham (I think). Turned from a guy who looked like he was running through treacle to a good Championship performer.

I agree with others that Max is more solid and Tanner has been most improved but both of those have come with greater experience. Also Mehmeti is doing very well which seems more down to Manning.

Tommy has gone backwards as has Sykes although that might be due to injury.

• Like 2

James seen in a better light. A year or so ago people ( no podcasts being mentioned) kept banging on that his legs had gone. 

Another good solid season finally appreciated by the majority of the fanbase and even praise from 'that' podcast.

• Like 2

The big winners I would say are Tanner, Roberts, O'Leary, Mehmeti and Dickie, whose status has all got stronger as the season wore on.

A difficult season for Conway, Wells, Bell and Cornick, with injuries, bench time, poor service and inconsistent form.

I expected more Pring and Sykes if I'm honest. They've just looked a bit average when I expect exceptional. 

Everyone else has pretty much done their job.

• Like 4

Thinking about it, I think Mehmeti is the biggest success story.

I think the majority of fans had written his off as not being anywhere near this level. I think the 'competition winner' line was used about him a few times.

A few months on, he's not only scored a couple of fantastic goals, but I think people are coming round to the idea that he's one of our more effective attacking options.

No doubt some of us still find him frustrating, but if he can continue to improve then who knows what he's capable of next season and beyond.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

The big winners I would say are Tanner, Roberts, O'Leary, Mehmeti and Dickie, whose status has all got stronger as the season wore on.

A difficult season for Conway, Wells, Bell and Cornick, with injuries, bench time, poor service and inconsistent form.

I expected more Pring and Sykes if I'm honest. They've just looked a bit average when I expect exceptional. 

I know he's nowhere near the finished article but we've missed Bell imo. One thing I will say about him is his movement is very good and if we can get a decent passer of the ball signed I predict he will have a decent season next time round. Biggest issue for me with him is "upstairs".......he allowed a poor run of form to go on a bit too long for my liking then was just starting to show something when he got injured.

Your Big Winners list is right imo. However, I always felt Max was better than some on were claiming (Goalkeepers make mistakes that lead to goals conceded now and again shocker) so the biggest winner for me is Tanner who has come on a long way (and has still got plenty of room for improvement).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Thinking about it, I think Mehmeti is the biggest success story.

I think the majority of fans had written his off as not being anywhere near this level. I think the 'competition winner' line was used about him a few times.

A few months on, he's not only scored a couple of fantastic goals, but I think people are coming round to the idea that he's one of our more effective attacking options.

No doubt some of us still find him frustrating, but if he can continue to improve then who knows what he's capable of next season and beyond.

Not sure about Mehmeti THIS SEASON. However there is a good chance next season might be his breakout season if he carries on recent improvements. He's at least showing us what he's about at times now..........took a while.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Surprised not to see Joe Williams mentioned this far. Seems to be free from his injury issues, played a significant number of games and looks a vastly improved player

Was about to mention Joe as was surprised I had not seen his name, Put his injuries behind him and is now looking a very good championship player, whether he remains with us remains to be seen, really hope he stays and pushes on next season. Also a mention for George Tanner so consistent, reliable, very rarley gets beaten 1v1 for me could easily make a step up a level for a lower Prem side 

57 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Surprised not to see Joe Williams mentioned this far. Seems to be free from his injury issues, played a significant number of games and looks a vastly improved player

He had an especially good run of form, I think before Christmas? Hasn't made such an impact in recent games, but yeah, he could get close to 40 appearances this season which is a massive step for him.

Edited by mozo

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

Was about to mention Joe as was surprised I had not seen his name, Put his injuries behind him and is now looking a very good championship player, 

Really?

I'd class Rutter and Dewsbury Hall as very good championship players, for me Joe Williams is an average one who wouldn't get in any top 6 midfield.

He has progressed this season but only because of his shocking injury record previously.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Really?

I'd class Rutter and Dewsbury Hall as very good championship players, for me Joe Williams is an average one who wouldn't get in any top 6 midfield.

He has progressed this season but only because of his shocking injury record previously.

I'd like to see Dewsbury Hall in a far better side than Leicester City. I think he's a player.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Really?

I would suggest Rutter and Dewsbury Hall are Premier League players playing in the champ, Williams is at his level and looks very good in my opinion. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Would agree with that. Bell had a good spell but tailed off, Pring good in spells but overall not hit the levels expected, not sure he will be on as many shopping lists this summer as last.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

I would suggest Rutter and Dewsbury Hall are Premier League players playing in the champ, Williams is at his level and looks very good in my opinion. 

Yes that's a fair comment with those 2 players.

I'd also agree that Williams is at his level, which is currently 3rd/4th best midfielder in the team currently 12th in the Championship.

For me that doesn't make him a very good Championship player, a long way off it to be honest.

5 hours ago, The turtle said:

August 2023 - end of season 2024

Which players have progressed and/or are seen on a more positive light by the Fanbase

I would say

max has more trust.

Tanner has a bit more respect, actually becoming better with a bit of time out the side.

Knight has been good been more than decent when played in the right positions. But i often feel; if there's a game he's the best player it's because all creativity has been poor. He gives the side energy, he keeps it ticking, but he shouldn't be the best player.

Has anybody else really kicked on? Who can you see currently being developed into something more?

Good OP.

Funny how fans perceptions change too…sometimes when the player is missing, sometimes when they’re in the team.

I think the “Steady Eddies” have shone through this season, Tanner, O’Leary, Jamo (6 or 7 out 10 every week).  Dickie has been steadily excellent (7, 8, 9)

But we’ve also had some world beater / panel beaters too.  Pring has had some very good games, but some bloody awful games too.

And then some that fall in between, not always consistent, generally decent, but the odd shocker.

Bristol City in a nutshell.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good OP.

Funny how fans perceptions change too…sometimes when the player is missing, sometimes when they’re in the team.

I think the “Steady Eddies” have shone through this season, Tanner, O’Leary, Jamo (6 or 7 out 10 every week).  Dickie has been steadily excellent (7, 8, 9)

But we’ve also had some world beater / panel beaters too.  Pring has had some very good games, but some bloody awful games too.

And then some that fall in between, not always consistent, generally decent, but the odd shocker.

Bristol City in a nutshell.

And Mehmeti. He's also a player.

3 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

Also a mention for George Tanner so consistent, reliable, very rarley gets beaten 1v1 for me could easily make a step up a level for a lower Prem side 

Did I read somewhere that George Tanner is pretty much at the top of the league for defending one v ones?

Do we know anyone who might have those stats to hand.....? 😉

15 minutes ago, chalkeyred said:

Did I read somewhere that George Tanner is pretty much at the top of the league for defending one v ones?

Do we know anyone who might have those stats to hand.....? 😉

image.thumb.png.79a9494021feca6bddd714505e4e323a.png

he wins 72% of his defensive duels (proxy for 1v1s)

image.png.077b91c8ab7ae1fce1d7998964c7e813.png

that puts him in the top 10% (8%) of 170 players who’ve played FB / WB in the champ this season.

• Like 1