IGNORED

Haydon Roberts

MrRedRobin

30 minutes ago, eardun said:

Him coming into the team in this position v Leicester could turn out to be a master stroke that benefits us for the long-term. I don’t think anyone was expecting it even when the line-up was announced that day. 

Could be like Johnson bringing Bobby R from a reserve / loaned out midfielder to a top striker who still earns his money in the Premier League. Sometimes these clever young coaches get things wrong but strike gold too

7 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Because there’s some weird rule that you’re not allowed to praise Tinnion on this forum because of what happened with Pearson mate 

There is no such rule; the vast (90%+ IMO) majority of City fans love Tinnion and see through this parochial anti-City brigade who frequently occupy OTIB. Pearson was solely responsible for his own demise whatever his little fan club would like to say.

Back to the thread, Roberts has shown skill and versatility in the past few months and fully deserves the right to start.

After yet another great tactical performance against a team that could easily be in the Premier next season (Saints, Leicester, West Ham, Forest etc) we can look forward to a stream of positive comments on here!!

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 4

41 minutes ago, Pip King said:

Is it fair to say him and Anis have been the biggest improvements under Manning? I'd say so 

Yes, but along with Max whose keeping and kicking improved from October, Tanner who has arguably been the most improved outfield player since October, Pringo, Williams, Cornick, and defo Wells. In fact its not easy to find players who havent improved with a coach who all the players like and respect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Yes, but along with Max whose keeping and kicking improved from October, Tanner who has arguably been the most improved outfield player since October, Pringo, Williams, Cornick, and defo Wells. In fact its not easy to find players who havent improved with a coach who all the players like and respect

Ok thanks Brian 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

Vyner and Dickie have rightly kept him out of the team. You lose so much if you don’t play Pring. Not that he’s in direct competition with Pring anyway. 

I do feel that left sided centre back is his best position. He’s just cool as a cucumber. 

9 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Yes, but along with Max whose keeping and kicking improved from October, Tanner who has arguably been the most improved outfield player since October, Pringo, Williams, Cornick, and defo Wells. In fact its not easy to find players who havent improved with a coach who all the players like and respectDoritos Licker GIF by Pepsico BNL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Now fit and recovered from injuries, Roberts is proving just how good a player he is. A back 3 that includes Roberts and Dickie means we have players who can pass and are happy to bring the ball forward out of defence, plus score goals.

Agree that Tanner has improved this season defensively on the right but his first instinct is always to pass back as he approaches the halfway line. A more progressive right centre back with some more height might not go amiss.

And unfortunately for Vyner, I just don’t see him playing in a back 3. He is fine at this level defensively and we have seen flashes where he can bring the ball forward and go past players but his passing is poor. A give away to an opposition forward every game is not good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bcfctim said:

Between him, Dickie, Knight and McCrorie coming on in the last couple of months, the recruitment we did do in the summer is looking very solid. One to remember for the Tinnion bashers

Wasn't Tinnion still with the Academy last summer ?

10 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Because there’s some weird rule that you’re not allowed to praise Tinnion on this forum because of what happened with Pearson mate 

No such rule , about anyone. But just like anyone at the Club, whatever their standing, if someone feels they deserve criticism they will give it. You may not agree , but that's a forum . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

There is no such rule; the vast (90%+ IMO) majority of City fans love Tinnion and see through this parochial anti-City brigade who frequently occupy OTIB. Pearson was solely responsible for his own demise whatever his little fan club would like to say.

interesting that you say solely responsible,  i cant prove  anything different yet but dont for one minute believe that is true. do you have anything to clarify that it is or is this just your opinion?

im not looking for an argument or anything,just wondering how you are so confident to make such a bold statement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Now fit and recovered from injuries, Roberts is proving just how good a player he is. A back 3 that includes Roberts and Dickie means we have players who can pass and are happy to bring the ball forward out of defence, plus score goals.

Depending how Manning sees it, it could change our targets for the summer. Roberts bombing on from LCB and linking with Pring looks like a real potent weapon. I wonder if we look for LWB cover and Roberts gets that CB role.

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Agree that Tanner has improved this season defensively on the right but his first instinct is always to pass back as he approaches the halfway line. A more progressive right centre back with some more height might not go amiss.

With Tanner as a RB he has usually 1 option in front of him , that's not always a safe pass and he does play safe. From RCB he has looked to play forward a little more IMO .
With Atkinson , Dickie , Vyner and Roberts genuine options. Plus Naismith & possibly Knight - Lebel , it might be we sign a back up CB, all those first 4 will see themselves as starters and if we ever go injury free for a while it would be enough IMO. Tough one>

10 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

And unfortunately for Vyner, I just don’t see him playing in a back 3. He is fine at this level defensively and we have seen flashes where he can bring the ball forward and go past players but his passing is poor. A give away to an opposition forward every game is not good.

All about opinions , I think he is one of the few who is happy to try those cross field passes. Yes some don't come off but it's a big plus when they do. The shorter passes he has got wrong, well , they've all done that at times. I think his mobility and pace have been important and having Roberts & Vyner either side of Dickie could be a good balance next year. 
I don't think we can upgrade without spending a lot of money.

A lot depends on our budget , Naismith & Atkinsons fitness and if Manning (as he seems) wants a back 3/5.

10 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Interesting , not sure if I qualify as anti City or parochial . I heard rumours of Tinnion a long time ago, but it was from players and they might have agendas of their own. But do you really believe he has deserved his recent rapid promotion From loan manager to near enough CEO ? 

As for Pearson , he did nothing to save his job, maybe brought the situation to a head, but in his position and you see/feel what is going to happen you might want to force someone to back or sack you .  There are a few on here are not convinced that Jon alone would have stood up and sacked Pearson. That could mean Steve had his back, but as he looked to Tinnion for football decisions it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Tinnion had a say. 
We might never know what happened, I want to read Pearsons biography as soon as he writes it, same with Coppel and even LJ . Until then I doubt there be much info coming out which means people and opinions , that's the forum. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Wasn't Tinnion still with the Academy last summer ?

No such rule , about anyone. But just like anyone at the Club, whatever their standing, if someone feels they deserve criticism they will give it. You may not agree , but that's a forum . 

FWIW Brian Tinnion was made Technical Director in Nov 2022, and tasked with overseeing the recruitment department.  Over the previous 18 months Richard and Nige had developed the recruitment strategy, processes and profiles, Tins brought in to oversee it.  Tins had been involved in the process before becoming TD, mainly for his Academy input into whether an Academy player could meet the brief, whether it might block pathway, etc.  he also provided input from his knowledge of players.

Basically we had a solid recruitment process in place for him to manage.  All sensible stuff.

It is fair to say that that in the 6 windows since summer 2021:

• 3 with Nige, prior to Tins promotion with his mainly Academy input
  • 2 with Nige and Tins as TD
  • 1 with Liam and Tins as TD

Recruitment has been much improved.  It’ll never be perfect.  We’ve signed the least number of players across the Championship in those 3 seasons!  

This summer is the big one though.  Not that I expect there to be much activity other than the 9 and 10, unless players leave.

+++++

I still think anyone who tries to frame recruitment as being one person doesn’t understand how it works, whether they are framing it as good or bad.  And that is the same predominately for comments like “that’s X’s signing / player”.  There will be the odd one, King for Nige, Twine for Manning, but 90% go through the recruitment sausage machine / process.  Bird, Stokes, Murphy were all in the sausage machine before Manning came here.

And the above is not the same as the manager having the final say.  Just to be clear.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW Brian Tinnion was made Technical Director in Nov 2022, and tasked with overseeing the recruitment department.

With what has gone on I lost track of the roles / positions. 

I would love to know how those roles work here now, and do we have a TD or DoF as such ? Semantics and titles don't matter that much at the end of the day, but knowing that our sausage machine ( ©Fevs )  has a decent structure would be settling . 

25 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

With what has gone on I lost track of the roles / positions. 

I would love to know how those roles work here now, and do we have a TD or DoF as such ? Semantics and titles don't matter that much at the end of the day, but knowing that our sausage machine ( ©Fevs )  has a decent structure would be settling . 

If I was to guess I’d say the difference between a DoF and a TD is the DoF manages the budget too.  And that’s what Tom Rawcliffe is doing.  That doesn’t make Tom a DoF, just means as the bean-counter, it means Tins doesn’t have to step into territory he’s not qualified in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Ive always thought vyner could play the defensive midfield type role..... 

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What I was told:

No compensation, was free…as Brighton didn’t offer him a deal, they weren’t entitled to any.

Why didn’t they offer him a deal?  Madness, surely!

Because he wasn’t gonna sign and they realised that any compo might be entitled to might put clubs off…and they felt it was in the players interest to have as wide a choice as possible.

Fair play to Brighton, he wasn’t gonna make it there, so why make it harder for him.

It's a decision I feel in time they may come to regret.

Of all of the players signed last summer, Roberts was the one that really caught my attention. Nothing seems to phase him. Technically he is very good and he reads the game very well. We have a very accomplished player there. The one worry for me is the "Rob Edwards" syndrome. His versatility could be a hindrance between switching from a back three to a left back/wing back which will mean he'll get shunted in and out of the team. I really hope not because (like Edwards) he's a talented player in his own right. Atkinson, Dickie & Roberts would make a formidable back three.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve signed the least number of players across the Championship in those 3 seasons!  

Interesting stat - hadn’t appreciated that. Important info in terms of expectations. 

• Like 1