IGNORED

Haydon Roberts

MrRedRobin

6 minutes ago, MrRedRobin said:

I have been blown away recently with his performances. He has settled so well into the back 3 and him Dickie and Tanner were a really solid back 3 today. This kid is something special, he has got potential to have a really top career and picking him up on a minimal fee (I think it was a bit of compensation to Brighton) was incredible business just like Dickie. I remember right at the start of the season there was glimpses of what he could do before he picked up that injury and I remember reading a month ago about how he asked Manning to go out on loan in January. Our upturn in form has come with Haydon Roberts has been playing in this back 3. What a brilliant defence and goalkeeper we have, dare I say next season I am really excited to see what could happen if we do some good summer transfers on the other end of the pitch!

He is a very good technical player who reads the game extremely well. He’s had to bide his time and know he was frustrated a few months ago but he’s taken his chance and looks a very good signing 

• Like 3

Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not ours by the end of next summer. Tidy tidy player, can see the difference brightons academy has made in him, very good technicals. 

Edit: Picked up on a free (compensation) as well, some brilliant business. Although there have been a couple of misses, Kane wilson/Cornick potentially etc, our recruitment the past couple of years has been brilliant imo. 

At a small cost compared to most as well. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 1

Personally if we are playing a back three I prefer Tanner, Dickie and Roberts.

Dickie has to play in the middle of the three due to his lack of pace. I also think Vyner struggles playing one of the wider Centre Back spots. Harsh it might sound but you need to play the players best suited to that position. Tanner on the right and Roberts on the left just feels a better balance.

If playing a back four then Vyner and Dickie no question. Atkinson been out for a year so will have a big fight on his hands to get back in. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

57 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Naismith when fit also a viable option and crucially IMO can switch between deeper midfield and a back 3 in-game, another tactical dimension.

Not sure how many others we have can do it in that way for us.

Stopped reading after 3 words..

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

13 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

Personally if we are playing a back three I prefer Tanner, Dickie and Roberts.

Dickie has to play in the middle of the three due to his lack of pace. I also think Vyner struggles playing one of the wider Centre Back spots. Harsh it might sound but you need to play the players best suited to that position. Tanner on the right and Roberts on the left just feels a better balance.

If playing a back four then Vyner and Dickie no question. Atkinson been out for a year so will have a big fight on his hands to get back in. 

I completely agree with this. If Atkinson can regain his old form he will be brilliant.

• Like 1

What I was told:

No compensation, was free…as Brighton didn’t offer him a deal, they weren’t entitled to any.

Why didn’t they offer him a deal?  Madness, surely!

Because he wasn’t gonna sign and they realised that any compo might be entitled to might put clubs off…and they felt it was in the players interest to have as wide a choice as possible.

Fair play to Brighton, he wasn’t gonna make it there, so why make it harder for him.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bcfctim said:

Between him, Dickie, Knight and McCrorie coming on in the last couple of months, the recruitment we did do in the summer is looking very solid. One to remember for the Tinnion bashers

Interesting that this comment got a confused reaction. Which is the bit you disagree with? 

On the main topic, Roberts has been absolutely brilliant since coming in. Wouldn't even mind him playing CB in a back two although that would give manager some decisions to make. But surely one of first names in starting 11 at the moment, regardless of formation. 

Him coming into the team in this position v Leicester could turn out to be a master stroke that benefits us for the long-term. I don’t think anyone was expecting it even when the line-up was announced that day. 

He’s done well recently that is for sure! 

Good luck to the lad. That will be some competition for places next season if they can maintain the form. 

Personally on a not completely unrelated note, offers/strong enquiries for Pring Knight and Conway are inevitable. I suspect he may have a big season coming up with at least one maybe two of his Derby mates. 

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

Interesting that this comment got a confused reaction. Which is the bit you disagree with? 

On the main topic, Roberts has been absolutely brilliant since coming in. Wouldn't even mind him playing CB in a back two although that would give manager some decisions to make. But surely one of first names in starting 11 at the moment, regardless of formation. 

Because there’s some weird rule that you’re not allowed to praise Tinnion on this forum because of what happened with Pearson mate 

• Like 1