IGNORED

Cov v Man Utd

22 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I don't agree with that, but, as someone suggested earlier, change the law so that there has to be 'clear daylight' between defender and attacker, and no need for VAR to be involved. No stupid toenail type nonsense decisions.

You’ll still have the same debates.  You have to draw the lines (even in a Lino’s head) somewhere.  Toenail of defender versus arse cheek / flailing elbow of forward.

I think you’ll get less offsides, but you’ll still get really tight decisions.  I think it will actually be harder to judge.  It think it’s easier to spot an attacker protruding wrong side of a defender than it is to work out clear daylight.  That’s just me though.

Don’t forget we went through similar in the 80s when we moved to / from level being offside.

A well-worked goal and great Coventry comeback and victory, seemingly denied by the length of a toe-nail.

What next?

Denied by the length of a short and curly pubic hair ?

Even with VAR, there is still a certain lack of transparency and some images look like they've been cleverly manipulated or badly edited to appear blurred and unclear. 

Something stinks.

And this time, it's not just Irene.

• Like 1

I hadn't seen this Tweet before and I couldn't find footage showing the Lino, but if this is right VAR makes no difference. If there wasn't any, and the Lino flags it would have been offside. 

Screenshot2024-04-22at16_40_06.png.eaa74eb3c154106c4ffe3b97f4ce0770.png

Doesn't excuse VAR , but just thought that I saw some on Twitter saying it should be left to Refs & Lino's , in which case it looks like it would still have been ruled out. Something else I saw which made sense, use thick lines so it can't be just a toenail .

Screenshot2024-04-22at16_44_52.png.60b7553745cfcc8808a3ce8e7b2811b0.png

rB8ApF1YcmiAS26QAAEySKI3IWU716.jpg.fdfa150b0c1b3964f799190221d21455.jpg

I always think about this graphic with VAR. Seems pretty intuitive that the system shouldn't be used for decisions that are closer than the margin of error inherent to the technology. If the call is too close for the system to be certain that the player is offside, then surely it isn't a clear and obvious error by the lino/referee. 

My bigger problem with VAR is that it's part of a culture making football more like a science, rather than something entertaining. I guess ultimately the only way to escape that is to reduce the sums of money invested in the game (which I can't see happening any time soon). 

• Like 8

On 21/04/2024 at 19:07, BrizzleRed said:

I’ve got no love for Man City, but after seeing that today, I hope they totally humiliate United in the final.

Absolutely gutted for Coventry.  They can hold their heads high, but to go out like that is so cruel and another example of technology killing the spirit of football.

100% agree...........Coventry were denied a superb victory by a toenail.  The offside law was never meant to rely upon such miniscule margins, there is no advantage for the forward being a toe in front of the perceived line of defence?.  VAR is ruining football, and I just wish someone would have the good grace to scrap it.   It is NOT the job of the Video Refs in their bunker to constantly interfere in the ongoing game?  It is their job to see,  and intervene when major errors occur that are clearly wrong and have been missed by the referee in charge.  If VAR is to remain, which i DO not want, but if it does..............it needs a massive overhaul, and consultation with ex players and officials, to point out the inconsistencies and contradictions which are slowly strangling our once great game.  In a nutshell.....I phecking hate VAR, and Everything about it.   PS . Man U's Anthony was IMO an embarrassing clown

• Like 3

23 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

First out the door; rat face Fernandes, ideally. To a non U.K. team, as well.

That is so,  my perception of Fernandes...........he is a good footballer,   but everytime i see him, I am reminded of a puppet called Roland Rat, he looks like he should be in an alleyway chowing down on some cheese?  Ha!!      Sorry Fernandes, I know it is  wrong, and I am sure your Mother loves you, but you have the face of a Rattus Norvegicus? 🐭

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

I always think about this graphic with VAR. Seems pretty intuitive that the system shouldn't be used for decisions that are closer than the margin of error inherent to the technology. If the call is too close for the system to be certain that the player is offside, then surely it isn't a clear and obvious error by the lino/referee. 

My bigger problem with VAR is that it's part of a culture making football more like a science, rather than something entertaining. I guess ultimately the only way to escape that is to reduce the sums of money invested in the game (which I can't see happening any time soon). 

Great post. Ive always wondered what margin of error there was. This post explains it very well. Cheers

16 minutes ago, maxjak said:

100% agree...........Coventry were denied a superb victory by a toenail.  The offside law was never meant to rely upon such miniscule margins, there is no advantage for the forward being a toe in front of the perceived line of defence?.  VAR is ruining football, and I just wish someone would have the good grace to scrap it.   It is NOT the job of the Video Refs in their bunker to constantly interfere in the ongoing game?  It is their job to see,  and intervene when major errors occur that are clearly wrong and have been missed by the referee in charge.  If VAR is to remain, which i DO not want, but if it does..............it needs a massive overhaul, and consultation with ex players and officials, to point out the inconsistencies and contradictions which are slowly strangling our once great game.  In a nutshell.....I phecking hate VAR, and Everything about it.   PS . Man U's Anthony was IMO an embarrassing clown

No one really thought about how subjective everything is in football unlike in others sports where the decisions are more black and white (and generally decisions get accepted as a result )

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

No one really thought about how subjective everything is in football unlike in others sports where the decisions are more black and white (and generally decisions get accepted as a result)

I've long said that it's the Laws that are the issue. VAR just exposes those issues. 

It's an objective tool that is layered on top of subjective Laws, and it doesn't fit.

The Laws haven't been rewritten to accommodate a game where VAR exists. Until they are there will be a chance of VAR getting the flak when it's just imposing the Law to the letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Couldn’t agree more Max.  

In theory, if VAR was employed properly, it could possibly be a valuable tool, just like goal-line technology undoubtedly is.  

Sadly, the combination of crap offside rules and the completely flawed employment of VAR above the match officials, has actually made it a blight on the game, rather than a benefit.

Higher end football needs to sort itself out, before it actually destroys itself.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Couldn’t agree more Max.  

In theory, if VAR was employed properly, it could possibly be a valuable tool, just like goal-line technology undoubtedly is.  

Sadly, the combination of crap offside rules and the completely flawed employment of VAR above the match officials, has actually made it a blight on the game, rather than a benefit.

Higher end football needs to sort itself out, before it actually destroys itself.

Suppose offside could just mean offside and maybe the semi automated system will mean we won’t need to see silly human drawn lines which obviously cause confusion and controversy.

What would be the ideal handball rule too ?

We've seen all sorts given and not given.

How can we make it easier  to apply when most of the time it's subjective and a lottery.

All this really could have been sorted out by those in charge before VAR came in.

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

There is also this nonsense of drawing a straight line. It's not actually straight. There are so many flaws with it that trying to be overly scientific is absurd; it also matters if the zoom is digital or fixed analogue zoom. They try to take some of this into account, but it's still awfully flawed, and when it's a cat's whisker, it should not overrule the infield decision.

r/LiverpoolFC - V Vanishing Point a IV 2.0 sky spont LIVE Offside line goes through two points: a) the vanishing point b) John Stones' foot

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

That is so,  my perception of Fernandes...........he is a good footballer,   but everytime i see him, I am reminded of a puppet called Roland Rat, he looks like he should be in an alleyway chowing down on some cheese?  Ha!!      Sorry Fernandes, I know it is  wrong, and I am sure your Mother loves you, but you have the face of a Rattus Norvegicus? 🐭

Fernandes is overRATed.

Like those who denied Coventry that winning goal, the guy is VARmin.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sitting on the beaches....looking at the Peaches?    Saw them play live a couple of times.........I really loved their unique sound........those were the days..  Ha!

Greenfield’s keyboards and Jean-Jacques bass.

Spotify went into random mode after that album.

Just listened to Reward / Teardrop Explodes, bloody love that tune.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Suppose offside could just mean offside and maybe the semi automated system will mean we won’t need to see silly human drawn lines which obviously cause confusion and controversy.

What would be the ideal handball rule too ?

We've seen all sorts given and not given.

How can we make it easier  to apply when most of the time it's subjective and a lottery.

All this really could have been sorted out by those in charge before VAR came in.

As you say, it is a lottery and for all the guidelines, the officials often interpret stuff so differently.

The offside situation is getting silly now though, with the matter of millimetres being measured.  It's like those songs about 'Aguerro, your teeth are offside', or 'Ozil, your eyes are offside'!  Joking aside, nobody gains an advantage with a couple of mm, so should it really come down to such small fractions?   One of the  better suggestions I've heard is to say there needs to be clear daylight between the last defender and the attacker, maybe measured at the waist, being the centre of the body.  

Ok, that certainly gives the advantage to the attacking team, but the defending team may be less likely to be constantly playing the offside trap, because if they judge it wrong, that really hands a significant advantage to the attacking team.  We already see advantages given to keepers in any body contact at present, so giving advantages in the game aren't unprecedented.   Don't know how difficult that type of offside decision would be for a lino to judge, but it must already be difficult enough to judge these fractions at present.

The problem with VAR is, it seems to be the first point of reference, rather than leaving it to the officials to make a judgement first and leave it to them to ask for VAR if they aren't certain.   It just feels like VAR is becoming a massive hindrance to football at present and arguably, causes more controversy than before it existed.

• Like 1

Think Wenger has suggested daylight offsides in the past but not sure what happened to that idea.

I think we just have to conclude the game isn’t any less controversial or confusing with VAR than without which I am sure wasn’t the intention.

Infact it’s probably worse for a number of reasons .

Edited by Markthehorn

Genuine question to all those criticising VAR on the offside.  

If that was us instead of Man U, and Coventry had the goal (correctly) ruled out for offside, would you be coming on here complaining or would you be saying it's the correct decision 🤔

It's an absolute shame for them, and would have been a brilliant ending, but it was offside, and it's pretty irrelevant whether its 5mm or 5m offside. Same as if the ball is or isn't over the line. 1mm or 1m is the same outcome 

I hate VAR, wish it was never brought in. But surely people can't moan when the decision is as factually correct as it can be?? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just put it on.  First proper band I saw….Newport lates 80s

You done well to escape the Port alive  in the 80’s. 
I had the pleasure of being born in that shit hole. Only saving grace it’s now a 5 star hotel. So I suppose I’m posh Welsh 

• Like 1