IGNORED

Green shoots

redkev

17 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Why does Manning (hopefully) doing well also always seem to mean that Pearson had to be shit? Or if you think Pearson was doing well, then Manning has to be shit?

How about Pearson did a good job for us, progressed us, Manning took over, had a wobble as he found his feet, and now will hopefully go on to do a good job next season and progress us again. That's what we all want isn't it?

It's only a dozen or so posters looking for attention or needing to bask in the glory of coming on here and proclaiming "I was right" or "you were wrong" in reality.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

There are some nut jobs on here. Luckily I have most on ignore, but when other posters quote them it’s like a train wreck you can’t take your eyes off. 

As for Mr Manning. I am all over the upturn and glad that we are not heading to Stoke looking for something. 

An upturn in form in a mid table end of season snooze fest is good and I’m a good with that. However we were utter toss against a Huddersfield team that got tonked 4/0 at home yesterday, with a 50/50 Peno (I would have given it) papering over how shit we were and keeping an unbeaten run going. 

My position is I will wait for now with season tickets, see what happens over the next two games and in the closed season. I am hopeful for Mr Manning but remain unconvinced!

Some similar sentiments here.

Firstly, I don’t expect us to hit “the heights” every game, we are always gonna be inconsistent.  But I can feel some positivity because it appears that LM may well have realised that low block, passive football isn’t gonna work.  Whatever the reason for the change, an epiphany, more time “on the grass”, luck, “it was always the plan but I needed Twiney”, etc, it appears that a higher / harder / more intense desire to get the ball back might be the predominant way forward.

I’ve just come off of some X-tennis (twitter) with James P, who said that in his post-match interview, LM referred to having Knight in midfield enables them to press with more intent from the front-line.

So we have gone from 424 block, with a first-line-4 with Knight but gaps behind, to a 343-press with Knight in the second-line, where he provides the legs, but also the ability to regain the ball in the opposition half and drive us forward against unstructured defences.  This feels like a big part of our recent improved performances (and results too).  It’s not the silver bullet, but feels important.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Why does Manning (hopefully) doing well also always seem to mean that Pearson had to be shit? Or if you think Pearson was doing well, then Manning has to be shit?

How about Pearson did a good job for us, progressed us, Manning took over, had a wobble as he found his feet, and now will hopefully go on to do a good job next season and progress us again. That's what we all want isn't it?

Because some people are incapable of divorcing the two, do not understand context, nuance, etc etc. And some have agendas too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

But that's not a culture war. It'll never work... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Because some people are incapable of divorcing the two, do not understand context, nuance, etc etc. And some have agendas too!

And likewise, there are a number of OTIB regulars that I could name that have been pretty busy posters after Manning's less convincing games, and yet have seemed to have lost their log ins during and after the indisputably decent performance v Norwich (and other games previously). Was the same under Nige who had his haters on here.

I've been backing Manning simply based on how I've interpreted the football, but I've written here many times that if I turn out to be wrong, I'll come on and say it. I think for some people, it's more important to pick a side and win an argument, than to present a fair assessment.

• Like 1

Just now, mozo said:

And likewise, there are a number of OTIB regulars that I could name that have been pretty busy posters after Manning's less convincing games, and yet have seemed to have lost their log ins during and after the indisputably decent performance v Norwich (and other games previously). Was the same under Nige who had his haters on here.

I've been backing Manning simply based on how I've interpreted the football, but I've written here many times that if I turn out to be wrong, I'll come on and say it. I think for some people, it's more important to pick a side and win an argument, than to present a fair assessment.

To be fair there are a few who went missing from January until we beat Southampton. I don't understand a scenario where your opinion is so set in stone that you simply cannot change it and are too embarrassed to come on here if facts are showing it to be an opinion that may turn out to be wrong. I only have one opinion set in stone and that is the position of the TD. If he oversees us winning us the Champions League in five years so be it, I would still rather have someone else in charge!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

I wasn’t referencing a “side”, just saying there are those who can’t divorce the two and those that have agendas. 🤷🏻‍♂️

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think for some people, it's more important to pick a side and win an argument, than to present a fair assessment.

Agree.

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Malago said:

What’s your view on Burgzorg Dave?  Fits the profile of what we’re looking for.  1 year on his contract at Mainz.  I thought he was impressive last Saturday.

Seen a bit of him, handful outside the box, not enough quality where it matters.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t referencing a “side”, just saying there are those who can’t divorce the two and those that have agendas. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agree.

Yep, totally agree, and I was just elaborating on your point from my own perspective. 

They gave the City lawn such a ridiculously close shave when they sacked Nige that it took months for it to start to regrow.

Even then Manning had to adjust the gears on the mower to bring some life back to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Same as it ever is. I use a very simple rule to comment on a performance - I have to have seen the game. That means post Sunderland (by consensus poor) I didn’t comment on specifics, post Middlesbrough away (by consensus great first half, rubbish second) I didn’t comment on specifics and post Norwich (by consensus very good) I’m not commenting on specifics!

The only aspect I’ll note from Norwich (and assuming the consensus is accurate) is the same point I made against Leicester - I’d have been happy to have a worse outcome if the performance level was as it was, as it’s totally about that (currently) for me.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Some similar sentiments here.

Firstly, I don’t expect us to hit “the heights” every game, we are always gonna be inconsistent.  But I can feel some positivity because it appears that LM may well have realised that low block, passive football isn’t gonna work.  Whatever the reason for the change, an epiphany, more time “on the grass”, luck, “it was always the plan but I needed Twiney”, etc, it appears that a higher / harder / more intense desire to get the ball back might be the predominant way forward.

I’ve just come off of some X-tennis (twitter) with James P, who said that in his post-match interview, LM referred to having Knight in midfield enables them to press with more intent from the front-line.

So we have gone from 424 block, with a first-line-4 with Knight but gaps behind, to a 343-press with Knight in the second-line, where he provides the legs, but also the ability to regain the ball in the opposition half and drive us forward against unstructured defences.  This feels like a big part of our recent improved performances (and results too).  It’s not the silver bullet, but feels important.

I’m not so sure about presses and formations, however we look more confident and tellingly Mr Manning sounds more confident. So something symbiotic is going on. I would not be surprised if some kind of come to Jesus meeting was had that obviously altered our approach!

I like you don’t expect to hit the heights every game, however when we are off it we are awful. A few less of those eye gouging performances would help my blood pressure!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Do what? What would have impressed you in any manager having to take over a Pearson (basket) case 6 months ago? The summer will go well because the club (ie owners & senior, respected managers will back Liam) so you have no reason to have a bad feeling. And what the hell do you mean by regression? Since when, since Cotts or since Johnson? There has been zero regression since Pearson lef; the players are happier, the cup run, we beat or draw with top teams, we smash poor teams etc etc - sometimes the negativity of you (and others) posts is simply baffling. What regression can you possibly mean?

If the club was a basket case when Nige left,  in your opinion, how much worse was it like when he took over? Or do you feel he achieved nothing?

Or maybe you think Nige himself was a basket case?

Edited by SecretSam
  • Like 1

I am not a particular fan of the concept of a "strong end of season to carry over in to the next one"

Between now and Aug/Sept: 

We will sell some players
We will buy some players
Some players will get injured 
Some of our young players will mature well (Tommy?), others won't (Sam?). Those that do will probably be sold.
Others will buy/sell players and suffer injuries too
Managers will come and go, either hired or fired.

So the green shoots thing doesn't really do it for me.

Yeah we had them with NP (and his 32% win ratio - compared to LM 33%) but then we sold them all to Bournemouth.