IGNORED

Green shoots

redkev

With the upturn in results over the recent weeks and some slightly better displays ( much better yesterday ) are some fans starting to see a future under manning . 
I have always maintained under both managers with a fully fit squad ( which isn’t often with city ) there is a team in there somewhere - The consistency of performances is my biggest concern when good we’re more than decent but when we’re poor we’re piss poor 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, redkev said:

With the upturn in results over the recent weeks and some slightly better displays ( much better yesterday ) are some fans starting to see a future under manning . 
I have always maintained under both managers with a fully fit squad ( which isn’t often with city ) there is a team in there somewhere - The consistency of performances is my biggest concern when good we’re more than decent but when we’re poor we’re piss poor 

Think it’s down to what squad we shape up this summer.  I don’t think we will be spending much, hence the look abroad, plus Bird is already signed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think it’s down to what squad we shape up this summer.  I don’t think we will be spending much, hence the look abroad, plus Bird is already signed.

What’s your view on Burgzorg Dave?  Fits the profile of what we’re looking for.  1 year on his contract at Mainz.  I thought he was impressive last Saturday.

19 minutes ago, redkev said:

Although I'm far from impressed with Manning I think the upturn in results has earned him some breathing space.  That said I really hope the summer goes well, as I've got a bad feeling, if the first ten results of next season show some progress or signs of progress I'll be happy.  But signs of further regression and I think I might lose my shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redkev said:

hard to disagree with any of that. just hope now we dont get a late frost and kill the new shoots

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Although I'm far from impressed with Manning I think the upturn in results has earned him some breathing space.  That said I really hope the summer goes well, as I've got a bad feeling, if the first ten results of next season show some progress or signs of progress I'll be happy.  But signs of further regression and I think I might lose my shit.

Do what? What would have impressed you in any manager having to take over a Pearson (basket) case 6 months ago? The summer will go well because the club (ie owners & senior, respected managers will back Liam) so you have no reason to have a bad feeling. And what the hell do you mean by regression? Since when, since Cotts or since Johnson? There has been zero regression since Pearson lef; the players are happier, the cup run, we beat or draw with top teams, we smash poor teams etc etc - sometimes the negativity of you (and others) posts is simply baffling. What regression can you possibly mean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 13
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Do what? What would have impressed you in any manager having to take over a Pearson (basket) case 6 months ago? The summer will go well because the club (ie owners & senior, respected managers will back Liam) so you have no reason to have a bad feeling. And what the hell do you mean by regression? Since when, since Cotts or since Johnson? There has been zero regression since Pearson lef; the players are happier, the cup run, we beat or draw with top teams, we smash poor teams etc etc - sometimes the negativity of you (and others) posts is simply baffling. What regression can you possibly mean?

Il wait to see whether we get 64 points (very unlikely as that would be two wins) before commenting on regression or otherwise

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Il wait to see whether we get 64 points (very unlikely as that would be two wins) before commenting on regression or otherwise

Looking quite likely we'll finish 12th. That is progress, is it not?

Ultimately a league table reflects how good you are versus other clubs. 

6 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Was Pearson that bad in your eyes 

14 minutes ago, Malago said:

What’s your view on Burgzorg Dave?  Fits the profile of what we’re looking for.  1 year on his contract at Mainz.  I thought he was impressive last Saturday.

Seen a bit of him, handful outside the box, not enough quality where it matters.

2 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Yeah, probably where I’m sitting. As I said the other day though, desperate situations (Liam needing to save his job) can lead to good outcomes. We saw it under Nige when there was an adjustment post WBA. He’s earnt the chance to take us into next season but the first 10-12 are massive - if he reverts to “pre Easter” type then he’s gone. And that’s again, not in results but in “intent” which has been the key thing over the last month.

30 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Attacking the post not the poster, this post is mental. Pearson didn’t leave a basket case - whatever side you sit on the debate the view is that we had a decent platform and the main contention is whether Liam needed/should be given the time to reshape the squad.

The board said he could progress this squad. I think that was nonsense based on his style as opposed to the squad, but that doesn’t make him a bad coach with a squad set up for him or Pearson a basket case. It means they talked shit. We know this. It’s now about how Liam manages the resources that he has.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Baffling indeed. 

So the players are happier ? Are you sure ? What makes you say that ? I’ve not yet seen a “ happy o meter “ in football . Are you measuring their smiles ? What is your technique for measuring happiness ? If you have developed something you could be on a big money earner . 

Sky sports , we now go over to Ashton Gate live 

“ everyone , this is a football first , I’ve never seen so many happy players in a team . They are waving to everyone , handing out money , hugging each other . It’s incredible . Liam Manning is the architect of a new brand of happy football, move over Pep “

Baffling  indeed 

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

i honestly thought this was a wind up on first read! Then i thought you have to be a pretty clever so and so to roll off all that sarcasm in one paragraph!?!

Edited by McNasty Filth
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, McNasty Filth said:

i honestly thought this was a wind up on first read! Then i thought you have to be a pretty clever so and so to roll off all that sarcasm in one paragraph!?!

Or have a history under a previous forum name (no, not Lez) for similar stuff! 🤣🤣🤣

There are some nut jobs on here. Luckily I have most on ignore, but when other posters quote them it’s like a train wreck you can’t take your eyes off. 

As for Mr Manning. I am all over the upturn and glad that we are not heading to Stoke looking for something. 

An upturn in form in a mid table end of season snooze fest is good and I’m a good with that. However we were utter toss against a Huddersfield team that got tonked 4/0 at home yesterday, with a 50/50 Peno (I would have given it) papering over how shit we were and keeping an unbeaten run going. 

My position is I will wait for now with season tickets, see what happens over the next two games and in the closed season. I am hopeful for Mr Manning but remain unconvinced!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Looking quite likely we'll finish 12th. That is progress, is it not?

Ultimately a league table reflects how good you are versus other clubs. 

Other teams results against each other are out of our control though. I’d settle for lower league position if we still made progress on points total. If we get both then great. 

The benchmark for me is simple. We should expect that the club will be top 6 consistently through the whole of next season and finish in the playoffs or better. That is what I would have expected under the previous regime and the board made changes to improve. 
Pearson and Gould spent three years clearing the decks and generating some funds for a promotion push and that is the position the club has inherited. 
Any suggestion that ‘top half’ next season is good enough is simply, for me, not good enough. Personally I would rather that the club had decided to have an experienced manager and CEO who both knew how to get promotion in charge but they have made their bed. That does not change the realistic expectations the supporters should have. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Green shoots, not yet. The hierarchy has advised that it's all about next season, to the extent that they were happy to chuck this season in the bin. I'm really looking forward to being massively entertained next season though. 

Have you not been entertained this season? After all “we smash the poor teams”

Remember when we smashed Birmingham 0-0? Or QPR 0-1? or Huddersfield 1-1? or Sheffield Wednesday 1-2?

Good old fashioned ‘Smashings’

When do we collect the trophy?

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Smash the poor teams. You mean like beating Plymouth 4-1 when Pearson (basket case) was manager.

You must have been hiding behind the sofa that night.

• Flames 1

Please give me some attention, pretty please.

• Like 1

I recently tried to have a sensible convo with you on here, in the hope that you actually possessed an element of common sense.

Won’t happen again after seeing this moronic, attention-seeking post. 🤦‍♂️

• Flames 1

Now i wasn't Pearson's biggest fan and was one of the few who wasn't upset when he was sacked but i do appreciate he took over a very difficult situation and steadied the club with limited resources, you are being very very harsh

• Like 2

I’m pleased with the unbeaten run - although we rode our luck in the Huddersfield game. 
I wouldn’t call it ‘green shoots’ though. We’ve ended the season around mid table ever since LJ left. 
It’s the same old issue for me; one minute we play really well (Watford, Southampton, Leicester, Blackburn etc) then we play terribly (Stoke, Sheffield W, Huddersfield…)

When we play well we look really good and I have to admit I found those performances really exciting and entertaining - the sort of performance I’d love to see - even when we don’t win, like vs Norwich on Saturday. 
I can’t understand however, how a team can play so differently within a few days. It’s a mystery to me. 
I probably sound like a broken record, but we need to fix our performances against the struggling sides and find consistency. If we can do that we can definitely make the playoffs (next season of course!!)

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add words
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I bet you couldn't stop laughing to yourself when you logged off last night.......................

• Like 1

Why does Manning (hopefully) doing well also always seem to mean that Pearson had to be shit? Or if you think Pearson was doing well, then Manning has to be shit?

How about Pearson did a good job for us, progressed us, Manning took over, had a wobble as he found his feet, and now will hopefully go on to do a good job next season and progress us again. That's what we all want isn't it?

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

14 hours ago, redkev said:

Definitely green shoots.  I wasn’t at all impressed when he first came in and immediately imposed a different playing style we didn’t have the players for.  At that point, he looked like a one trick pony.

He’s now shown he’s pragmatic and has adapted the tactics to something more suited to our current squad.  Although we still get the occasional stinker thrown in, he’s starting to play to our strengths and getting more consistency in our performances and results.  

Although we’re all well aware of some deficiencies in our squad, if we can strengthen over the summer, I’m certainly more optimistic that he can improve us than I was when he arrived.

Credit to him for showing some resiliance and self-belief and hope it continues.

• Like 2