IGNORED

14 Years Ago Today

One Team

At the Open Day I joined a big queue behind the Atyeo to meet Coppell.

When I got to the front I had my picture taken with him and enthusiastically said, 'Welcome to Bristol City Steve, we're all confident you can really take this club forward'.

Bit taken aback by his response, 'I wish I was'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

When I got to the front I had my picture taken with him and enthusiastically said, 'Welcome to Bristol City Steve, we're all confident you can really take this club forward'.

Yep, he was a very odd character on that open day - I remember someone wishing him good luck for the season and his response was along the lines of "we're going to need it".

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I watched Coppell’s ATK team in India a few years ago. He had a few jobs for someone who walked away from football when he quit here. 

India is a lot closer to his beloved Thailand.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I moaned when Pearson was appointed and i was shouting from the roof-tops for Cooper or Martin by the summer of '21. (Tin-hat on) 

Neither of those managers would have agreed to inherit what Pearson agreed to inherit (in terms of the UPCOMING FFFP problem that everybody inside the club and many on here knew was on the horizon but a section of the fanbase seem to be in total denial about). That's why it took them nearly three years to fire him. The first question a manager of high stock at the time you are looking to appoint will ask is "how much have I got to spend?". When you come back with "very little" it's "thanks for your interest in me now kindly **** off".....

• Like 1

In hindsight, appointing someone who needed “real convincing to join” and even after agreeing didn’t want to take charge for another 4 months, the warning signs were certainly there!

Any excuse for a shameless plug too:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I suppose most people's idea of us "going for it" is football people choosing the footballers, and Steve keeping well out of it/just "signing the cheques"

True, but signing England’s goalkeeper (his last club game, an FA Cup final) is hardly getting a bloke from down the pub, is it?

If Coppell’s first picks were Nicky Hunt & Damion Stewart then perhaps it’s a very good thing that he left so quickly.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Wasn't even ex-England, he'd just come back from the World Cup (albeit a disastrous tournament)

I personally was very happy with signing James at the time.

To me, it’s not about whether you were happy with James signing but the fact that the manager seemingly wasn’t. For all anyone knows he might have had a different keeper in mind and it might have prevented him having enough budget to bring in other players he wanted.

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

True, but signing England’s goalkeeper (his last club game, an FA Cup final) is hardly getting a bloke from down the pub, is it?

If Coppell’s first picks were Nicky Hunt & Damion Stewart then perhaps it’s a very good thing that he left so quickly.

Kalifa Cissé and Albert Adomah were pretty good though. A big miss was not resigning Paul Hartley but he wanted to go back to Scotland iirc.  

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Neither of those managers would have agreed to inherit what Pearson agreed to inherit (in terms of the UPCOMING FFFP problem that everybody inside the club and many on here knew was on the horizon but a section of the fanbase seem to be in total denial about). That's why it took them nearly three years to fire him. The first question a manager of high stock at the time you are looking to appoint will ask is "how much have I got to spend?". When you come back with "very little" it's "thanks for your interest in me now kindly **** off".....

I think Swansea were in a worse shape than us when Martin took over them not that it really matters now 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I think Swansea were in a worse shape than us when Martin took over them not that it really matters now 

Really?  Just finished 4th, missing out in playoffs under Cooper.  They lost £80k p.w. Andre Ayew, and Connor Roberts and Jamal Lowe, but that was it, bringing in Downes, Obafemi, Piroe, Pato, Christie.  Under no threat of FFP. In fact the year before they turned in a profit (final £15m PP).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Kalifa Cissé and Albert Adomah were pretty good though. A big miss was not resigning Paul Hartley but he wanted to go back to Scotland iirc.  

Adomah was a Gary Johnson signing, it had been done months before.

I knew someone who told me he was signing well before GJ was sacked.

Cisse was ok, but we really only had one good year from him.

He was left out at the start of his second season with us because he was after a pay rise on his current deal.

Coppell didn’t seem bothered about moving on one of the best right backs in the division in Bradley Orr & replacing him with the (higher wages) of Nicky Hunt, who was litter.

As has been said already, his heart was never in it, SL should have recognised this.

Edited by GrahamC

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really?  Just finished 4th, missing out in playoffs under Cooper.  They lost £80k p.w. Andre Ayew, and Connor Roberts and Jamal Lowe, but that was it, bringing in Downes, Obafemi, Piroe, Pato, Christie.  Under no threat of FFP. In fact the year before they turned in a profit (final £15m PP).

Haha did all that come off the top of your head Dave ? 🤣

I seem to remember Swansea were heading for some financial difficulty which was why Cooper left them after the play-offs, i probably have got that totally wrong

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Haha did all that come off the top of your head Dave ? 🤣

I seem to remember Swansea were heading for some financial difficulty which was why Cooper left them after the play-offs, i probably have got that totally wrong

Some of it was, Google was my friend for others! 🤣🤣🤣

I think the financial stuff was overplayed.  E.g. is it really a surprise that they couldn’t re-contract Andre Ayew on £80k p.w, now they’d lost PPs.  I think it was just returning to being sensible, rather than being anything like us, Brum, Reading, etc.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some of it was, Google was my friend for others! 🤣🤣🤣

I think the financial stuff was overplayed.  E.g. is it really a surprise that they couldn’t re-contract Andre Ayew on £80k p.w, now they’d lost PPs.  I think it was just returning to being sensible, rather than being anything like us, Brum, Reading, etc.

👌

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Wow.

Lucky for you it wasn't the pilot of a plane you were on after you expressed confidence that he'd land the thing successfully.

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Yes, I believe we let Paul Hartley off the second year of his contract as he wasn't settling. I was very disappointed. Classy footballer with the abrasiveness of Joe Williams, but good enough not to get caught too much whilst employing the dark arts.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

To me, it’s not about whether you were happy with James signing but the fact that the manager seemingly wasn’t. For all anyone knows he might have had a different keeper in mind and it might have prevented him having enough budget to bring in other players he wanted.

I think this was a factor, as I understand Coppell wanted to sign Kitson and Ingermarsson - 2 players who had done well for him before - but SL vetoed the signings because they were too old, too expensive , and would have no value at the end of any contract..........SL then signed James who was both old and expensive!  James himself has said that he didn't meet Coppell until after he'd signed 

• Like 2

It was such a weird episode in City’s history. I was overjoyed when he was announced as manager - we had started to stagnate under GJ and it felt like Coppell had the pedigree to take us forward. But the signs were worrying straight away with his absence for the first couple of months, and his body language showed his heart wasn’t in it. There was also the farce of the David James signing, and other signings (Damian Spencer, Nicky Hunt) who weren’t good enough - and in Hunt’s case he out in some of the worst performances I’ve seen in a City shirt. And there is some competition there. 

Then there was the abject performance in the home defeat v Millwall. 

Before we knew it Coppell was gone and the decline leading to relegation had started. 

8 hours ago, phantom said:

The alarm bells started for me when he was asked about watching our game before taking over, he said that he was out of the country so couldn't be at our game, then that weekend he was pictured at Brentford with his son

Didn't he go on holiday instead of taking pre-season ?