IGNORED

Debenhams

32 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Building tall is probably the best solution for Bristols lack of housing. 

I wonder why the Debenhams building isn’t being converted into flats/apartments? It’s a massive premises with enough space for literally dozens of them. 

Demolishing the building seems unnecessary to me - but then I’m not and engineer or architect.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I wonder why the Debenhams building isn’t being converted into flats/apartments? It’s a massive premises with enough space for literally dozens of them. 

Demolishing the building seems unnecessary to me - but then I’m not and engineer or architect.

Commercial buildings aren’t generally built for residential-so I don’t think the conversation is that cost effective (my assumption on cost, no idea if valid) 

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Dozens, but not 502. I’d guess that’s at least a part of the answer! 

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Dozens, but not 502. I’d guess that’s at least a part of the answer! 

And the old Debenhams 1950's building has 4 floors albeit with very high ceiling height - unsuitable for direct conversion, energy costs etc, - the building would have to be stripped out to a shell, new layers of flooring, windows repositioned etc. The cost would be astronomical for a smaller return.

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Or an accountant either 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, CodeRed said:

And the old Debenhams 1950's building has 4 floors albeit with very high ceiling height - unsuitable for direct conversion, energy costs etc, - the building would have to be stripped out to a shell, new layers of flooring, windows repositioned etc. The cost would be astronomical for a smaller return.

Or an accountant either 😄

There`s probably a lot of nasty stuff like asbestos in there too.

• Like 1