IGNORED

Attendances - Well done city fans

I think football is still adjusting to the effects of Covid,but its this coming season that does concern me.

With five of the Saturday 3pm Championship games being moved for live television coverage

I can see less season tickets and match day ticket sales be purchased.

I still think that the five live planned games will all be kicking off at 12:30pm on saturday

I might find out a little more when I attend the ITV AGM meeting this coming Thursday

• Like 4

Of which away fans are what? An average of about 1,500? Always hard to find figures for visitor numbers.

Happy for that figure to be corrected but if I can momentarily assume it's true then with 14,500 STs sold it suggests that we've been shifting an average of about 6,500 POTD tickets every game. 

With 99% of those being in the more expensive Dolman and Lansdown stands, that's pretty good for the coffers.

It's a shame our very high attendance figures over the last 8 years or so have coincided with a dilution in the importance of income from ticket sales compared to other revenue sources. Doesn't really give us any competitive edge versus other clubs that it would have done say 20 years ago

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I think football is still adjusting to the effects of Covid,but its this coming season that does concern me.

With five of the Saturday 3pm Championship games being moved for live television coverage

I still think that the five live planned games will all be kicking off at 12:30pm on saturday

I might find out a little more when I attend the ITV AGM meeting this coming Thursday

I think Davefevs worked out there will only be 13 Saturday 3pm home games next season. That could be reduced further If Cardiff and Swansea are moved.

39 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It's a shame our very high attendance figures over the last 8 years or so have coincided with a dilution in the importance of income from ticket sales compared to other revenue sources. Doesn't really give us any competitive edge versus other clubs that it would have done say 20 years ago

Although I get the feeling that everyone’s attendances have gone up similarly over the last 20 years?  This season is a bit skewed perhaps by having Sunderland, Leicester and Leeds (and not Luton) but we are 11th.  

3 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Although I get the feeling that everyone’s attendances have gone up similarly over the last 20 years?  This season is a bit skewed perhaps by having Sunderland, Leicester and Leeds (and not Luton) but we are 11th.  

Yes attendances seem to have gone up across the board in the last year or so

Last season we had the 8th best attendance, next season no worse than 9th I reckon maybe higher if we do anything of note for once.

55 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Absolutely top point. And the issue is that the clubs have absolutely no issue with this continual shift in the importance of ticket revenue to broadcast revenue.

Most recently this has come up in relation to the FA Cup replay scrapping. An Arsenal official said to me"...my understanding was that any financial impact [of scrapping replays] would be minimal, and most likely offset by higher distributions from broadcast rights..." I've had this echoed from other clubs, EFL included.

It's an attitude that pervades the game right now, and in the long run it's going to negatively impact stadium facilities, ticket price matrices, and other services offered to local, club-in-the-blood fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Absolutely top point. And the issue is that the clubs have absolutely no issue with this continual shift in the importance of ticket revenue to broadcast revenue.

Most recently this has come up in relation to the FA Cup replay scrapping. An Arsenal official said to me"...my understanding was that any financial impact [of scrapping replays] would be minimal, and most likely offset by higher distributions from broadcast rights..." I've had this echoed from other clubs, EFL included.

It's an attitude that pervades the game right now, and in the long run it's going to negatively impact stadium facilities, ticket price matrices, and other services offered to local, club-in-the-blood fans.

That’s nothing new though, in terms of thinking.  

Id argue a look at the stadiums in Italy gives a look at where things end up with your final point. 

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

That’s nothing new though, in terms of thinking.  

Id argue a look at the stadiums in Italy gives a look at where things end up with your final point. 

It's not, and taking broadcast revenue isn't awful. 

I actually think the answer lies in asking a question about how any revenue - ticket or broadcast - is spent rather than earned. Does each club just put it all into the pockets of 25 or so young men, or does it get invested in facilities, used to subsidise ticket prices etc.

I expect the answer from clubs would be "yes, it already does all of that", but maybe they need to say that a bit louder if so.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I think Davefevs worked out there will only be 13 Saturday 3pm home games next season. That could be reduced further If Cardiff and Swansea are moved.

Why I'm not getting a season ticket, midweek games are a struggle, because of dialysis. I shall choose my games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yep…although it’s likely to be 9 or 10 Sat 3pm home games.  The only caveat to the table below is that @phantom posted something yesterday about embargo dates, so we might be one home game better off than the table below.

image.png.3f354a6522d839be6d1b3bf90f6abe79.png

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Bit weird of ITV to move 5 fixtures to the same slot when you can only broadcast 1 at a time??

9 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Hopefully we can continue to grow the fanbase.

Regarding growing the fanbase, I thought the club did really well yesterday with all the extra bits for the kids.

Certainly made an impression on mine, she's already been complaining that there's no football over summer 🙌

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

You and plenty of others appear to think that almost everyone has able to watch games on Sky TV.

Well, I've never, not ever will, contribute to the thing called Sky TV owned but the very obnoxious Aussie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Plus Southampton. Ipswich on the crest of a wave will be rather high.

I remember starting to watch city after moving to Bristol in 2006. The ground was outdated. The fans seemed to be mostly 40+. It was quite stale. Fast forward to now and we seem to be in a much healthier position. The only big miss is that apparently the corporate facilities at the ground aren't enough, and we are missing out on revenue because of it. I know otib won't like it but to bring in the cash we need more of the prawn sandwich brigade in the Lansdown.

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I remember starting to watch city after moving to Bristol in 2006. The ground was outdated. The fans seemed to be mostly 40+. It was quite stale. Fast forward to now and we seem to be in a much healthier position. The only big miss is that apparently the corporate facilities at the ground aren't enough, and we are missing out on revenue because of it. I know otib won't like it but to bring in the cash we need more of the prawn sandwich brigade in the Lansdown.

Do you mean the boxes? Probably about the right amount given the size of the ground I would think. Of course the issue we’ll have if we ever get to the PL will be that a capacity of 26.5k won’t be enough to meet demand - suspect we’ll have waiting lists for season tickets etc (another reason to keep me renewing). 

Without a doubt if we reach the PL the demand is, should be there to fill it and more.

One note, of we ever get there as it stands the Away allocation rule is 3k, or 10% of capacity- whatever is lower so there's that.

I'd hope, if possible if we get up we can open at least some of the Atyeo to Home fans and or freshly push back on the 4.2k to 3,414 reduction by stealth to assist with this.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

You and plenty of others appear to think that almost everyone has able to watch games on Sky TV.

Well, I've never, not ever will, contribute to the thing called Sky TV owned but the very obnoxious Aussie.

The Sky Group was sold to Comcast some years ago. The Dirty Digger is no longer involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2