IGNORED

Bird next season?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

covid then tied Holden’s hands (just Williams recruited with a fee)

It did, although he loaded up on risky experienced players on pretty serious wages (for us) instead which isn't any better really. I'm glad we seem to have knocked that on the head too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't see Naismith getting into that MF , unless we really need a deep sitting shield .

You're right about Stokes , I was on a role by then .

I still if fit see Naismith as someone who can help to break the lines, yet offer a bit of stability too.

Pass before the pass to a degree? Then the ability to drop and switch between a back 3 and back 4 in-game..can anyone else in our midfield play in both a back 3 and deepest midfield?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I still if fit see Naismith as someone who can help to break the lines, yet offer a bit of stability too.

Pass before the pass to a degree? Then the ability to drop and switch between a back 3 and back 4 in-game..can anyone else in our midfield play in both a back 3 and deepest midfield?

His passing can be brilliant , but Manning seems to like the 3CB's to start so I see him mainly challenging there. 
I see us setting up as a 3 and 2 MF's and he doesn't get in the midfield in that set up IMO.

• Like 1

He looks a great player and scored a superb goal yesterday, but surely it’s going to be odd for him to leave the positivity of a promotion winning team and a club the size of Derby to come to us. It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on, but good luck to the lad he looks good.

41 minutes ago, Swede said:

He's technically a very good player who can play in a number of positions. Interestingly, much like Knight and Bird, he's welcomed a move away from his developing club to presumably shake the young "academy prospect" tag off once and for all. There's a lot more to come from him.

When you come through, I think you can struggle to earn what you're worth against peers who've arrived for decent fees.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Hope he comes in with a positive happy to be here attitude. Not sure.

Seems a good player of our level but I was a little concerned when Knight said in the week that Bird is a very similar player to him

With both of them pressing opposition then I’m more than happy if they are similar as long as we have Twine around to unlock defences 

4 hours ago, DeParis said:

He is a very different player to Twine, and I think he will excel under Manning far more than Warne. Paul Warne sides are very direct, and some Derby fans have been frustrated with this and feel it negates the strengths of Bird. A completely different style of football to Manning.

Whilst Bird isn’t the same player as James they are similar, he seems like an obvious replacement and in my view an upgrade. He is more mobile a better passer and a bigger goal threat - James does have greater experience and nouse though.

i think he will be an excellent signing, and im suprised we managed to get him…. A rotating 4 of Bird Knight Williams and TGH is really good at this level. For all his faults one thing BT has improved is recruitment of players. 

The two divisions are very different for quality and tactics. You infer that Warne has been more direct to get them out of League One but he may well adjust the style in the Championship. The same way as most teams who go from Championship to Premier need to recruit better and more technically players.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The two divisions are very different for quality and tactics. You infer that Warne has been more direct to get them out of League One but he may well adjust the style in the Championship. The same way as most teams who go from Championship to Premier need to recruit better and more technically players.

You overestimate 1) the tactical track record of Warne 2) Derby ability to recruit. A Paul Warne side has never played attractive football, he didn’t do it with Rotherham a small fish in a big pond, or Derby a big fish in a small pond…..as for recruitment, this Derby side in terms of quality is far inferior to any of his Rotherham sides - they also have no money so if you genuinely think that Derby in the champ are going to suddenly play decent football you will be VERY disappointed.

On paper, with their inability to spend, they are going to really struggle next season, especially with their aging squad and losing a number of players. Good luck to them, absolutely no surprise that Bird wanted to jump ship though - relegation battle for them next season. 

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I should add, that just before Rotherham and Warne parted ways at home at least and a small sample size vs certain opposition Warne deemed to be stepping up a bit.

Screenshot_20240428-145200_Chrome.thumb.jpg.22ab1cd5772ec93c9889f9d7d2980eba.jpgScreenshot_20240428-145213_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b6c7ed4f327e1188fa72ca97b0161c81.jpgScreenshot_20240428-145233_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dcbedf8f371d2db3123b0626085409d1.jpg

Now certain metrics maybe srill were outstripped by Goals Scored a bit but that isn't necessarily typical Warne. Srill think Rotherham backed him less than they should that year and Taylor got a higher profile of player at least.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Stokes is a bit more of an attack minded player I thought?

Naismith can also slot into central midfield or deeper anyway, as well as CB in a back 4 and into a back 3. 

I hope we can retain Williams and James...

Well he could, if he was ever fit. If anyone came in for him I’d take the opportunity to free ourselves of his wage.

2 hours ago, One Team said:

He looks a great player and scored a superb goal yesterday, but surely it’s going to be odd for him to leave the positivity of a promotion winning team and a club the size of Derby to come to us. It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on, but good luck to the lad he looks good.

If things go our way over the next 7 days, he could yet be joining a top 10 side to soften the blow.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Our midfield looks promising , the big bit now is the No.10 . 
As it stands we have ;
Bird , Knight , TGH , Stokes , Murphy , Williams? James?

Defence when all fit looks decent too. 

Striker one short as it is, 2 if Conway goes . 

Who was it that did the squad depth thing ?

Yes, probably need a decent keeper to come in and challenge max as well, if possible 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian M said:

Well he could, if he was ever fit. If anyone came in for him I’d take the opportunity to free ourselves of his wage.

When did their scouts actually see him in action?! 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

As it stands we have ;

Who was it that did the squad depth thing ?

Good post pity we didnt snap up whittaker a while back would have been the perfect jigsaw .

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Good post pity we didnt snap up whittaker a while back would have been the perfect jigsaw .

Thank you for finally adding some much needed punctuation at the end there. I nearly ran out of oxygen.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I was wondering what yesterday would've been like for him.  Achieved promotion and then out celebrating with your team mates when you know you won't be playing alongside them next year.  Must've been a bit odd.  

I guess it proves the value in the deal Derby struck.  Would they have got promoted had he not stayed there until the end of the season?

Also, we may not have got him had we waited until the end of the season. 

16 hours ago, Ian M said:

If things go our way over the next 7 days, he could yet be joining a top 10 side to soften the blow.

I think Kai could be useful for us next season. Defence still looks a little light so we'd have to replace him if we got rid, which would involve more fees plus the fact that he came from Luton when we were being frugal means I can't see him being on a huge wedge.

As an aside I saw him in Nailsea Touts yesterday and didn't realise he was as tall as he is. (I am a short a## though).

• Hmmm 1

20 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

As it stands we have ;

Hopefully Williams will be offered a new deal and that Twine is signed but as per usual none of us are truly ITK on City’s fiscal matters. 
As for Stokes and Murphy - we’ve seen before that the step up can be too big for some so only time will tell if they’ll have Championship quality.

Conway has refused to sign a new deal which suggests that he wants to move and BT reckons that a decent CF is in the offing. This summer will be like a child waiting for Xmas day for many of us. Hopefully any business is done early so we can all sleep without the exciting anticipation………:)

• Admin
3 hours ago, Crimson Crayola said:

I think Kai could be useful for us next season. Defence still looks a little light so we'd have to replace him if we got rid, which would involve more fees plus the fact that he came from Luton when we were being frugal means I can't see him being on a huge wedge.

As an aside I saw him in Nailsea Touts yesterday and didn't realise he was as tall as he is. (I am a short a## though).

I think we made him one of our highest earners to persuade their PotY to join us. I’m pretty sure Jones complained about not being able to compete with us. At a guess I’d expect him to be on between £12-15k per week. If I’m correct, that brings in better than cover.

20 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I think we made him one of our highest earners to persuade their PotY to join us. I’m pretty sure Jones complained about not being able to compete with us. At a guess I’d expect him to be on between £12-15k per week. If I’m correct, that brings in better than cover.

It also makes him very hard to shift, can’t see there being any takers anywhere.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Hopefully Williams will be offered a new deal and that Twine is signed but as per usual none of us are truly ITK on City’s fiscal matters. 
As for Stokes and Murphy - we’ve seen before that the step up can be too big for some so only time will tell if they’ll have Championship quality.

Conway has refused to sign a new deal which suggests that he wants to move and BT reckons that a decent CF is in the offing. This summer will be like a child waiting for Xmas day for many of us. Hopefully any business is done early so we can all sleep without the exciting anticipation………:)

Don’t believe anything until it’s on the official site is my advice.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1