IGNORED

Bird next season?

reddogkev

On 28/04/2024 at 14:42, DeParis said:

You overestimate 1) the tactical track record of Warne 2) Derby ability to recruit. A Paul Warne side has never played attractive football, he didn’t do it with Rotherham a small fish in a big pond, or Derby a big fish in a small pond…..as for recruitment, this Derby side in terms of quality is far inferior to any of his Rotherham sides - they also have no money so if you genuinely think that Derby in the champ are going to suddenly play decent football you will be VERY disappointed.

On paper, with their inability to spend, they are going to really struggle next season, especially with their aging squad and losing a number of players. Good luck to them, absolutely no surprise that Bird wanted to jump ship though - relegation battle for them next season. 

Ditto

Quality of their football is poor and they will struggle next season and do well to stay up

If they have a financial challenge around transfer budgets then it will likely be loans & frees to build a squad 

18 hours ago, INCRED said:

Quality of their football is poor and they will struggle next season and do well to stay up

If they have a financial challenge around transfer budgets then it will likely be loans & frees to build a squad 

Quality is a bit subjective, whilst Warne had recieved critism for the style of his football it has generally been effective. His teams have trouble breaking down teams and most of the stick he's got has been follwing games we were unable to break down "lesser" teams defending in depth. Our performance against the better teams has been generally good, and it may well suit us to be attacked more providing our defence holds then. We are likely to end up as the sort of team that concedes possession and ends up scoring a set peice or hitting on the counter.

On to Max, his style works in a Warne team but it doesn't showcase him. I'm lead to believe he's ambitious to play at the top level and Manningball will make him look better than Warneball. He will make himself available and pass to someone who is available and repeat. It's a team game and whilst he only accasionally does something spectacular he'll be an effective cog in the Manning midfield getting the ball to players who have got into good positions. There were some worries his performance would drop on his loan but it didn't, that shows his good character. He leaves with all of our good wishes.

The other thread suggested he might regret the move following our promotion, I really don't think so, unless you sack Manning and bring in Warnock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, Derby Boy said:

Quality is a bit subjective, whilst Warne had recieved critism for the style of his football it has generally been effective. His teams have trouble breaking down teams and most of the stick he's got has been follwing games we were unable to break down "lesser" teams defending in depth.

This sounds awfully familiar, Derby Boy....

9 minutes ago, Derby Boy said:

Quality is a bit subjective, whilst Warne had recieved critism for the style of his football it has generally been effective. His teams have trouble breaking down teams and most of the stick he's got has been follwing games we were unable to break down "lesser" teams defending in depth. Our performance against the better teams has been generally good, and it may well suit us to be attacked more providing our defence holds then. We are likely to end up as the sort of team that concedes possession and ends up scoring a set peice or hitting on the counter.

On to Max, his style works in a Warne team but it doesn't showcase him. I'm lead to believe he's ambitious to play at the top level and Manningball will make him look better than Warneball. He will make himself available and pass to someone who is available and repeat. It's a team game and whilst he only accasionally does something spectacular he'll be an effective cog in the Manning midfield getting the ball to players who have got into good positions. There were some worries his performance would drop on his loan but it didn't, that shows his good character. He leaves with all of our good wishes.

The other thread suggested he might regret the move following our promotion, I really don't think so, unless you sack Manning and bring in Warnock.

Please don't mention the "M" word, this thread could descend into chaos ;)

TBH I'm not sure how he wants to play. If he wants to play total possession football he's come to the wrong place.
I have to say he seems to have adjusted slightly and recent games has seen a nice balance of possession , block and press , while playing at a decent tempo. I think he could fit nicely into our mix of midfielders , James sounds like the nearest we have ( loosely speaking ) and he most likely will leave so the timing is good. 

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This sounds awfully familiar, Derby Boy....

I'm under the impression you kept possession without creating chances where we tended to launch ineffective crosses into the box giving possession away.

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

TBH I'm not sure how he wants to play. If he wants to play total possession football he's come to the wrong place.

Warne teams have a tendancy to bypass midfield and head for the wings, I don't think Max needs total possession but would like the attacks to move through him more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derby Boy said:

Warne teams have a tendancy to bypass midfield and head for the wings, I don't think Max needs total possession but would like the attacks to move through him more.

He'll definitely get on the ball with us 

5 minutes ago, Derby Boy said:

I'm under the impression you kept possession without creating chances where we tended to launch ineffective crosses into the box giving possession away.

Certainly you'll see us fail to break down the more stodgy defensively minded bottom-of-the-table sides. Slooow build up was indeed the problem. 

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Certainly you'll see us fail to break down the more stodgy defensively minded bottom-of-the-table sides. Slooow build up was indeed the problem. 

With Twine or failing that someone of hsi profile, the Home games especially vs sides like that should see an improvement. As indeed we have although v Huddersfield we were oddly lethargic first half especially.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Derby Boy said:

It's a team game and whilst he only accasionally does something spectacular he'll be an effective cog in the Manning midfield getting the ball to players who have got into good positions.

Which for me brings to mind Alex Scott. He's similarly not a "highlights reel" player in terms of spectacular goals and the like. He did awesome stuff every now and then but his real value was his ability to just keep the ball moving, the midfield ticking, and the opposition guessing.

• Like 3

On 28/04/2024 at 11:48, Davefevs said:

I’ve never had a problem with Tins, don’t resort to snake names, etc, always liked his passion for City, if somewhat too bullish at times.  I will be critical of throwaway soundbites from anyone like “front foot, high press….”.  I was in my City wilderness days in the Wilson Tinnion era, likewise the LJ nepotism years under GK, so I don’t carry the baggage / history of some.  So I just post what I think from what I see.  I don’t like Tins divulging sensitive info though.  But his part / growing part in recruitment in the past 2.5 years is something I’ve continually supported.  When “everyone” (sic) was saying “would you give Nige any money” I was supportive of the recruitment process / signings made.  That hasn’t changed.

+++++

On a slight asude, listening to FBC this morning, I see that players are no longer classed as injured in some cases - they’re “rehabbing”.  Makes I chuckle!!!

Tins ceiling should have been head of recruitment imo. Job for life doing that. 

I think the technical director role is well above his skillset however. 

In the summer I was so keen for us to buy 2-3 more. In the Rob Dickie sort of price bracket because I know we do a good job on recruitment and those 2-3 players could have made a real difference this season.