IGNORED

Time to dump Sky for the summer?

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

as there will not be any Sky football effecting ourselves from, the end of May till mid August,why not save some money and cancel for the summer

The euros will carry us through most of Summer,hopefully right till the end on 14 July

Because you can’t “just cancel” if you’re bound to a 18-24 month contract..

And even if you aren’t , if you cancel for the summer and then resubscribe in the Autumn, you will still face the issue highlighted above at the end of the following season as you’ll be tied to another lengthy contract which you’ll be unable to “just cancel”.

If you buy a firestick, you don’t have to worry about any of that 😉

Edited by RedEyez
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

Just cancel Sky. Period. 

You won’t miss it.

To make it worthwhile, you need to watch 3-4 games of football a week. 

Who has time for that?

Rather do something actually useful. Like becoming part of the tofu eating wokerati.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DaveInSA said:

Just cancel Sky. Period. 

You won’t miss it.

To make it worthwhile, you need to watch 3-4 games of football a week. 

Who has time for that?

Speak for yourself DaveSA.

Yeah Sky Sports is expensive but being retired I have plenty of time to get what I consider value for money. It’s not only football that I enjoy either.

As a huge cricket fan Sky’s coverage is fantastic showing every test match, many of the IPL games and England ODI’s and inter county one day competitions and T20s (not that I watch much T20 unless Somerset are playing)

Premier League PDC darts including all the slams. No way would I consider cancelling it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

And even if you aren’t , if you cancel for the summer and then resubscribe in the Autumn, you will still face the issue highlighted above at the end of the following season as you’ll be tied to another lengthy contract which you’ll be unable to “just cancel”.

I cancel SKY Sports every year, at this time of year and get it back in October, after my September holiday.

If you keep the standard SKY package you are able to remove and add Sports packages.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

I cancel SKY Sports every year, at this time of year and get it back in October, after my September holiday.

If you keep the standard SKY package you are able to remove and add Sports packages.

Interesting. Didn’t know that, cheers. Just thought that if you were still in contract you can’t cancel. That’s the bull I’ve been fed by Sky before so assumed it was common practice. 

• Like 2

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Can’t believe why anyone would pay for sky, tnt , virgin, pay £50 a year for about 200 channels and all pay per views’ no brainer.

Can't believe anyone would pay for anything 

You can get sport, films etc without paying (apparently 😜

• Like 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

as there will not be any Sky football effecting ourselves from, the end of May till mid August,why not save some money and cancel for the summer

The euros will carry us through most of Summer,hopefully right till the end on 14 July

Assume you realise people with sky watch more than football? 

I thought I had de ja vu reading this thread too.. 

I'm sure it was posted last year too 🤦

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Speak for yourself DaveSA.

Yeah Sky Sports is expensive but being retired I have plenty of time to get what I consider value for money. It’s not only football that I enjoy either.

As a huge cricket fan Sky’s coverage is fantastic showing every test match, many of the IPL games and England ODI’s and inter county one day competitions and T20s (not that I watch much T20 unless Somerset are playing)

Premier League PDC darts including all the slams. No way would I consider cancelling it.

Yeah bang. I can't work due to health any more so plenty of time to watch 2/3 games a day, England touring cricket, darts, pool & snooker. So much as I think Murdoch is a *** ****** little **** & horrible *******.

His sky set up stops me getting bored.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

What’s a “fire stick” , yes , I’m retired too. Currently pay for Sky Sports , but only watch football and also some of the music channels. So would a “fire stick” be any use ?

It's an Amazon firestick, the UHD version can be bought from Amazon for about £50.

It effectively turns your TV into a Smart TV (if it isn't already) by having various apps loaded onto it, such as Netflix, iPlayer etc.

So far, all legal.

If you know the right people, you can also get apps loaded onto it (for a fee, usually around £50 a year) that give you access to the full gamut of all TV, including everything on Sky, including movies and sport, and as a bonus for City fans iFollow which is the platform that Robins TV is streamed on (I think) at no extra cost. This whole thing is often known as IPTV.

This is, of course, illegal. You will not run the risk of any prosecution by buying one and using it however, they are not interested in the users. The people selling the service are prosecuted if caught though.

I have had IPTV in the past and have found that, whilst having access to everything is great, the service isn't always brilliant so be careful who you go with. There are a lot of providers and the very nature of what they are doing makes things quite shady. There will of course be no Customer Service, so it would be up to you to sort out any problems you encounter.

I found the apps were clunky and slow to load, the picture quality was often about the same as if you watch an illegal stream online for football (i.e.not great) and for quite lengthy periods of time sometimes it just wouldn't play anything at all. The service is also liable to disappear completely and without notice once the people supplying the service are caught.

It may well be that the service has improved since I had it a few years ago, but only get it through someone you trust and who can vouch for the service imo.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 2

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

What’s a “fire stick” , yes , I’m retired too. Currently pay for Sky Sports , but only watch football and also some of the music channels. So would a “fire stick” be any use ?

Yes, but you won't need one if you have a smart TV

Just now, richwwtk said:

If you know the right people, you can also get apps loaded onto it (for a fee, usually around £50 a year) that give you access to the full gamut of all TV, including everything on Sky, including movies and sport, and as a bonus for City fans iFollow which is the platform that Robins TV is streamed on (I think) at no extra cost. This whole thing is often known as IPTV.

PS You don't even need to pay for this anymore, there are enough ways (apparently) to get all this for free

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

PS You don't even need to pay for this anymore, there are enough ways (apparently) to get all this for free

Of that I have no doubt, though I suspect if you want any kind of picture quality and reliability at all you would be better off paying your £50 a year or whatever

• Admin
3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Of that I have no doubt, though I suspect if you want any kind of picture quality and reliability at all you would be better off paying your £50 a year or whatever

No, all in HD

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It's an Amazon firestick, the UHD version can be bought from Amazon for about £50.

It effectively turns your TV into a Smart TV (if it isn't already) by having various apps loaded onto it, such as Netflix, iPlayer etc.

So far, all legal.

This is, of course, illegal. You will not run the risk of any prosecution by buying one and using it however, they are not interested in the users. The people selling the service are prosecuted if caught though.

I have had IPTV in the past and have found that, whilst having access to everything is great, the service isn't always brilliant so be careful who you go with. There are a lot of providers and the very nature of what they are doing makes things quite shady. There will of course be no Customer Service, so it would be up to you to sort out any problems you encounter.

I found the apps were clunky and slow to load, the picture quality was often about the same as if you watch an illegal stream online for football (i.e.not great) and for quite lengthy periods of time sometimes it just wouldn't play anything at all. The service is also liable to disappear completely and without notice once the people supplying the service are caught.

It may well be that the service has improved since I had it a few years ago, but only get it through someone you trust and who can vouch for the service imo.

Thank you

16 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yeah bang. I can't work due to health any more so plenty of time to watch 2/3 games a day, England touring cricket, darts, pool & snooker. So much as I think Murdoch is a *** ****** little **** & horrible *******.

His sky set up stops me getting bored.

Murdoch hasn't owned the Sky Group for years.

On 29/04/2024 at 06:25, Never to the dark side said:

That’s means I will have to interact with the wife for 4 months , I might end accidentally actually hearing what she says - no thanks sky for me 👍

• Haha 1

On 29/04/2024 at 07:45, RedEyez said:

I dumped them for good in January last year , bought 3 firesticks for £50 less than what Sky wanted a month and haven’t missed them one iota. 👌

• Like 1