IGNORED

does your phone struggle to get scores when at football

I’ve had difficulty with the WiFi at AG for years and years. I’ve tried changing phones but it’s made no difference. It’s irritating that those around me don’t seem to have the same difficulties.

Its worse at half time when every other bugger is catching up with ht scores nationwide.

Not being technically gifted I’m assuming that it’s a problem with the way my iPhone is set up………:dunno:

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve had difficulty with the WiFi at AG for years and years. I’ve tried changing phones but it’s made no difference. It’s irritating that those around me don’t seem to have the same difficulties.

Its worse at half time when every other bugger is catching up with ht scores nationwide.

Not being technically gifted I’m assuming that it’s a problem with the way my iPhone is set up………:dunno:

I always found that until this season the wifi at AG was awful. Just too many people trying to use it overloading the system.

It has improved this season, and now seems to work pretty much OK pre-match, though at half time it can still be patchy.

• Like 2

There are so many factors at play here. There are 4 physical mobile networks, companies such as Giffgaff, Tesco, Sky etc all piggy back onto one of those.

The proximity of the cell tower and the capacity of the cell tower will dictate how much data can pass through. All very well having a high speed 5G connection to the tower but if the data link back to the network from the tower is at max capacity your data will still queue through a router and/or get discarded.

People trying to watch video such as Sky Go updates rather than just browse the BBC scores pages will clog up the whole works.

Wifi technology is short distance so would need a lot of antennae around a ground to work well. This also still needs a high capacity link back to the network to carry all the data. If you are linked to the wifi but on the edge of range, your mobile might keep swapping between cell data and wifi which probably won't help.

As with all things, it comes down to money. Installing lots of network capacity which is only used for a few hours a week and for half the year might seem costly to a club. I am surprised that mobile or fixed network operators don't do more in exchange for advertising.

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

at any time during the ninety minutes?

I was with Giff Gaff for a long time and never seem to get updates when at football.

So I decided to change to EE,what a difference it made,

it only took less that 48 hours to change over and kept my original phone number

I'm with 3 and have the same problems. There are of course the good points that @Open End Numb Legs made but my partner has EE and whenever we're together in a big crowd my phone is impossible to use and hers still works.

It's not just football, concerts, festivals, even the London Marathon last week wherever there's a build up of users some networks just don't have the capacity. My old work phone was Vodafone and that was always fine for me, and as I say EE are pretty good.

MVNO networks such as Giff Gaff and the other cheap alternatives will always be worse as they are piggy backing off other networks, eg O2. That's why they are cheaper.

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

at any time during the ninety minutes?

I was with Giff Gaff for a long time and never seem to get updates when at football.

So I decided to change to EE,what a difference it made,

it only took less that 48 hours to change over and kept my original phone number

I'm with EE and still find it crap in stands at football stadia. The best AG I had was when City were operating Z Edge. 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I was with EE and couldn't get a signal in the ground , but now I'm with Virgin and noticed a massive difference.

Still can't get a connection, but it's massively cheaper :thumbsup:

I thought Giff-Gaff and Virgin Mobile both used the O2 network?

I think it is more to do with the phone.

I have a Motorola and I have used Sky mobile, (O2, but not supporting 5G on my phone) 

Then I changed to O2 5G,

and now I'm with Lebara 5G (Vodafone)

But on each of those different Sims it's the same, buffering at half time when I try to check the scores on the Beeb, while those around me seem to have no problems 🤣

I've given up trying to be honest. Tried different networks (EE, 3, O2), different phones and pretty much zilch at HT. Might be lucky in the first half and manage. Quite often need to reboot the phone after leaving to get 4g back. No idea what the issue is.