IGNORED

34 years tomorrow a dark day

Can’t believe it will 34 years tomorrow that we got beat 3 0 to lose the title race with rovers 

a great season with so many high points but gutted the way it panned out in the last few games 

a goos day in bath with a few interesting fans setting off early so not to miss the game :laugh:

• Like 2

It`s my birthday tomorrow so I can never forget being at Trumpton that night. I`ve had better presents TBH.

It wasn`t helped by their rag of a fanzine being called `the second of May` for years afterwards - it bizarrely stopped about ten years later when they got relegated to division Four on - the second of May.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

• Like 13

Worst day ever….was in the home end stood against fence behind goal that Holloway scored the penalty at. Left early only to be met by a mob of City who were baying for blood in the car park  and I was one of their targets.  Thank god we had City membership cards back in those days as it saved me from a hiding until a couple of lads I knew confirmed I was City. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Worst day ever….was in the home end stood against fence behind goal that Holloway scored the penalty at. Left early only to be met by a mob of City who were baying for blood in the car park  and I was one of their targets.  Thank god we had City membership cards back in those days as it saved me from a hiding until a couple of lads I knew confirmed I was City. 

Me too..I was In the Rovers end right in the corner...not a pleasant experience...I got met by a few City and luckily one of them recognised me...it was a very bad night.

• Like 1

Really shit night all round.

Having to listen to that chirpy Cockernee Francis singing “going up” when they wouldn’t let us out was I thought the worst of it, until I bumped into a bloke I worked with (City lifer) a few weeks after & he told me his old man had collapsed & subsequently died on the way out that night.

Hated every single visit to Twerton until the very last one, the 4-0 defeat a year or so later was just as bad.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Super said:

They had a decent team in fairness. White was a real handful 

That was a good sags side to be fair. As much as I hated them they had some good players and a system that suited them.

theyve never had anything approaching the quality of that side since though. Until this season which apparently was going to be amazing as their messiah of a manager had put together a top side that was due to romp home with the title.😂

45 minutes ago, Super said:

Goalkeeper who played for England, a striker who didn’t disgrace himself in the top flight & a lot of well organised physical players in a system that worked.

Absolutely hated that team (especially the thug Alexander, Jones, White & Holloway) but know they were good at what they did.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Goalkeeper who played for England, a striker who didn’t disgrace himself in the top flight & a lot of well organised physical players in a system that worked.

Absolutely hated that team (especially the thug Alexander, Jones, White & Holloway) but know they were good at what they did.

They played to their strengths and had penrice up front who could score goals.

• Like 1

I hated that Sag team soooo much - Fruity Francis, Freddy Twentypence, Lazarus Penrice, Skeletor, Thug Alexander (don't swallow yer dentures), crap moustaches all round etc etc. Still brings me out in a cold sweat just thinking about them. Hated Devon White too, but clearly not as much as his neighbour (allegedly). Then again I suppose they did have a bit about them if they're so easy to remember. 

That 0-3 was absolutely horrendous. Don't think I went to Trumpton again until the 4-2 win. My god that was sweet though! 😁

• Haha 3

Pretty sure the injury to Bob Taylor didn't help us much as he missed the game . Saying that they did play to their strengths. Lump it up to Devon White and feed off him. Their midfield just went around kicking shit out of ours.

Very similar to what City did to those ***** after the game. 

I worked in Filton at the time and dreaded going to work the next day.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Wash your mouth out young sir 🙈

7 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Pretty sure the injury to Bob Taylor didn't help us much as he missed the game . Saying that they did play to their strengths. Lump it up to Devon White and feed off him. Their midfield just went around kicking shit out of ours.

Lots of city in Filton now , but must admit was gas then 

People on here keep indulging in this self flagellation, whipping themselves into a frenzy of what a trauma it was that night, each to their own I suppose; to me, 1989/90 was Bob Taylor, Big Joe, winning games, winning away, Swindon and Chelsea in the cup, Dave Smith tearing down the wing, Shelts everywhere, Birmingham away, Tranmere away, cheeky John Bailey, wanting a slightly taller keeper, Biff, Psycho, Rennie flicking corners on at the front stick, Cambridge, singing "and now you're gonna believe us: the Welsh are ****ing sh*t" as we score 4 then 5 at Swansea .....

If there was any "trauma" it was blown away by August when we blitzed Blackburn 4:2. We had a great season in 90/91, very enjoyable. I've just looked it up, the Few lost that opening day at Leicester and won one in their first 10 games.

It's just not how I remember 89/90 or even the conclusion to 89/90; the sun was shining, we were up, and we had Bobby Taylor and Big Joe, the sense that we were on to something (I was young back then, forgive my charming naivety) . Happy Days.

If I could wave a magic wand and win one game we didn't win that season, it would be Cambridge in the cup meaning a quarter final at Highbury over winning at Trumpton, no question. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It was my mates 18th & we got soundly drunk in Bath pre kick off. I use that season to sum up supporting City to people that support other teams; even when we succeed we find a way to screw it up.  For me, the Millennium stadium  non event v BHA still trumps it as my worst day supporting City. At least we looked like we were trying v Rovers.

It was a great season though & I hardly missed  a game home or away. Remember getting pelted by coins & bottles (warm Lucazade, i think?) at the end of the game away to Cardiff. Still, that seemed tame compared to the scenes leaving St Andrews!

For me, Jordan then leaving is a massive sliding doors moment. Even Lumsden got us close to the top 6, had Joe stayed I reckon we had a really good chance.

• Robin 1

43 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

It was my mates 18th & we got soundly drunk in Bath pre kick off. I use that season to sum up supporting City to people that support other teams; even when we succeed we find a way to screw it up.  For me, the Millennium stadium  non event v BHA still trumps it as my worst day supporting City. At least we looked like we were trying v Rovers.

It was a great season though & I hardly missed  a game home or away. Remember getting pelted by coins & bottles (warm Lucazade, i think?) at the end of the game away to Cardiff. Still, that seemed tame compared to the scenes leaving St Andrews!

For me, Jordan then leaving is a massive sliding doors moment. Even Lumsden got us close to the top 6, had Joe stayed I reckon we had a really good chance.

I hate the phrase “typical City” because often it is used on here about things that happen to every single club (the left back is out injured, for instance).

It is the case though that a season that included a 4-0 win at Birmingham (as you quite rightly say, “lively” afterwards), a 5-0 win at Swansea (“Yorath is back”) & numerous other memorable days with Super Bob scoring 34 goals despite missing 6 of the last 7 games, could only end with us blowing a lead after the Messiah got injured & losing the title to those filthy bastards.

That summer I accompanied the lads behind The Bountyhunter on the pre season tour of Scotland & it’s fair to say optimism was very high, the first game against Blackburn (what a performance) only emphasised this.

Four days later, Joe was gone..

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s my birthday tomorrow so I can never forget being at Trumpton that night. I`ve had better presents TBH.

It wasn`t helped by their rag of a fanzine being called `the second of May` for years afterwards - it bizarrely stopped about ten years later when they got relegated to division Four on - the second of May.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

My 62nd birthday was a bit better! 3 May 2014 best present ever! Sags relegated to the Banamara Conference! 

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

13 hours ago, richyy66 said:

Well I reckon our biggest mistake was challenging that lump when the ball was hoofed up to him,all it meant was that one of our centre defenders was instantly out of the game,should of just dropped off of him and picked up the seconds.Just my opinion mind.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wasn't the Trumpton game rearranged from a time when we had everyone fit and were absolutely flying or have I imagined that?

‘Tis true,rumour had it that during a somewhat wet week,they actually watered their pitch.

• Thanks 1