IGNORED

Don't get your hopes up

JAWS

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I never realised football success was related to the size of the location they were based 🤦

Also, we’re the 7th biggest, not 5th.

London, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield & Manchester are all bigger.

People are entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

After a 4-0 thumping I don’t think anyone will be getting their hopes tbh 

Disappointing tho it was it was a one off result and the first time in ages that City have conceded 4. Essentially in was a dead rubber with neither club having anything to play for.

Fwiw - as with every season I’m optimistic that we’ll have a decent campaign. LM will have a full preseason with the contracted players and any additions signed this summer to implement his methods and there’ll be no ‘time on the grass’ excuses come august.

Edited by Robbored
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, Cidre Monita said:

Just like to say well done to Ipswich Town a well run club with no parachute payments promoted to the prem at the 1st attempt. Perhaps Mark Ashton wasn’t the problem after all?! 
The status quo will continue next season and for the foreseeable under this Zombie ownership. There will be 3/4 players going out and the same coming in, possibly of a lower quality than those exiting. One or both of Pompey and Derby will leapfrog us. Another season will pass by false dawn after false dawn. Rinse and repeat (again). 

And before people question where it all went wrong while MA was here.

Oversight.

They have Michael O'Leary.

We have Jon.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Essentially in was a dead rubber with neither club having anything to play for.

IMO there is no such thing as a dead rubber with nothing to play for in professional football. 
Getting on for 2000 fans travelled for good distance and paid good money to support the team wanting them to play well and win the football match and get 3 points. 
Back in the day of 2 up and 2 down with no play offs many more games could have been termed as nothing to play for. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I never realised football success was related to the size of the location they were based 🤦

There must a loose correlation between them.

I imagine if a chart existed of historic cup and league performance versus local population, it would bring us all to tears.

• Like 1

I'm as critical of the hierarchy as much as the next fan & like most I have never felt so disconnected with the club as I do now. Getting rid of experience and knowhow and replacing it with learning on the job, inexperience & behaviours doesn't auger well for the immediate future.

Next season will be a turning point for the club's hierarchy & who knows what will happen. What I will say (hold on to) is that the club have been very cute with recruitment in getting Bird & TGH for next to nothing.

I must confess that I think we are missing a trick with letting Andy King and all of his knowledge and experience go out of the door. That type of knowhow is irreplaceable as is not having Matty James on the pitch. Someone else who looks like they'll be gone.

Always believe is now being replaced with trying to believe.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

IMO there is no such thing as a dead rubber with nothing to play for in professional football
Getting on for 2000 fans travelled for good distance and paid good money to support the team wanting them to play well and win the football match and get 3 points. 
Back in the day of 2 up and 2 down with no play offs many more games could have been termed as nothing to play for. 

‘Dead rubber’ in terms of both clubs with only pride to play for. Judging by the score line it’s hard not to think that the City player weren’t already on the beach.

36 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

IMO there is no such thing as a dead rubber with nothing to play for in professional football. 

It could have been worse, it could have been an important step in the season at home and we could have lost 3-2 after being 2 nil up. I don't know what the reaction to the manager would have been then.

• Robin 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Also, we’re the 7th biggest, not 5th.

London, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield & Manchester are all bigger.

People are entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts.

Sorry Graham. It's what I googled. I'll accept 7th 👍 😉

3 hours ago, phantom said:

3 hours ago, phantom said:

There's a definite correlation

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If I was really cynical, I might suggest that turning a business with £9m in debt to one with £200m might counter some of that positive feeling?

Just to play Devils advocate, that reflects how football inflation has spiralled in the past quarter of a century.  You couldn't run a Championship club now in the way City operated in the 90s. 

15 hours ago, Cidre Monita said:

Just like to say well done to Ipswich Town a well run club with no parachute payments promoted to the prem at the 1st attempt. Perhaps Mark Ashton wasn’t the problem after all?! 
The status quo will continue next season and for the foreseeable under this Zombie ownership. There will be 3/4 players going out and the same coming in, possibly of a lower quality than those exiting. One or both of Pompey and Derby will leapfrog us. Another season will pass by false dawn after false dawn. Rinse and repeat (again). 

And yet they have sold over 12,000 season tickets again, who says you can't fool all of the people all of the time?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Disappointing tho it was it was a one off result and the first time in ages that City have conceded 4. Essentially in was a dead rubber with neither club having anything to play for.

Fwiw - as with every season I’m optimistic that we’ll have a decent campaign. LM will have a full preseason with the contracted players and any additions signed this summer to implement his methods and there’ll be no ‘time on the grass’ excuses come august.

This excuse that it was a dead rubber just does not add up, if that was the case why did Stoke put 4 and could have been a lot more past us, it was a so-called dead rubber for them too wasn't it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pillred said:

And yet they have sold over 12,000 season tickets again, who says you can't fool all of the people all of the time?

We’re not all being “fooled”, it’s our club.

I was here before Tinnion, here before Lansdown & as long as I’m on the planet & well enough to attend, will be here after them, too.

Doesn’t mean I don’t find Tinnion an embarrassment or Lansdown & son poor owners beyond infrastructure.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 6

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I was here before Tinnion, here before Lansdown & as long as I’m on the planet & well enough to attend, will be here after them, too.

Doesn’t mean I don’t find Tinnion an embarrassment or Lansdown & son poor owners beyond infrastructure.

I know of no other medium where people would buy something just because they feel some sort of loyalty, if a film is universally panned by the critics it usually flops a restaurant that serves up substandard fare pretty soon goes bust yet people continue to pay good money for a season ticket just because they always have? sounds a bit daft when put like that doesn't it?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, pillred said:

Buying a season ticket to support your club (not Lansdown's or Manning’s) doesn’t mean you agree with the manager or the ‘board’. It just means you support your team regardless of the goons in charge, and always will long after they are gone (hopefully sooner rather than later).  Not sure why so many people don’t get that and use STs as a defence mechanism for what these clowns are doing.  

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If I was really cynical, I might suggest that turning a business with £9m in debt to one with £200m might counter some of that positive feeling?

I've never really been all that nervous about the Steve's stewardship, however as hes handed over the running of the club to Jon I'm increasingly worried.  Not only is Steve getting older and older and nobody lives forever, the amount of debt the club has is quite high.  I want to know what happens to all that debt owed to Steve.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Buying a season ticket to support your club (not Lansdown's or Manning’s) doesn’t mean you agree with the manager or the ‘board’. It just means you support your team regardless of the goons in charge, and always will long after they are gone (hopefully sooner rather than later).  Not sure why so many people don’t get that and use STs as a defence mechanism for what these clowns are doing.  

Loyalty is admirable but sometimes if you don't like what's being served up on the pitch or the way the club is being run you have to make a stand, after 37 years with a season ticket last season I did not renew, that does not mean I have no interest at all I still attend a fair few matches but blindly buying a season ticket for me makes no sense, I realise some people will criticise me for my opinion but that's what it is.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

Loyalty is admirable but sometimes if you don't like what's being served up on the pitch or the way the club is being run you have to make a stand, after 37 years with a season ticket last season I did not renew, that does not mean I have no interest at all I still attend a fair few matches but blindly buying a season ticket for me makes no sense, I realise some people will criticise me for my opinion but that's what it is.

But that’s my point.  I’m not loyal to Lansdown. Or Manning. Or the ‘Board’ made up of complete clowns.   I’m loyal to the club and what that means to me. The lifelong friendships made, the feeling of having that common goal, the camaraderie of those around me on the terraces, the belonging, the representation of our city, the memories made and the ones to come.  It’s got **** all to do with supporting Lansdown, but it does mean that I have an incredibly vested interest in how he behaves as the main custodian of our club.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

34 minutes ago, pillred said:

I know of no other medium where people would buy something just because they feel some sort of loyalty, if a film is universally panned by the critics it usually flops a restaurant that serves up substandard fare pretty soon goes bust yet people continue to pay good money for a season ticket just because they always have? sounds a bit daft when put like that doesn't it?

Yes it does pillred though it's in the blood & a kind of relegion 

• Robin 1

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

But that’s my point.  I’m not loyal to Lansdown. Or Manning. Or the ‘Board’ made up of complete clowns.   I’m loyal to the club and what that means to me. The lifelong friendships made, the feeling of having that common goal, the camaraderie of those around me on the terraces, the belonging, the representation of our city, the memories made and the ones to come.  It’s got **** all to do with supporting Lansdown, but it does mean that I have an incredibly vested interest in how he behaves as the main custodian of our club.   

Spot on lenred 👌. Plus I can escape from Mrs Jaws for a whole day! 😉

14 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I'd suggest they should also be busting a gut at all times to get the club as high up the tree as possible. Have they really done that? Have they been physically and mentally present enough to achieve anything more?

Too many occasions where we've all been left thinking, if only we'd done a bit more. It's a C+ for me, capable of achieving so much more.

Maybe.

It's a question of timing it right.

Gary Johnson was backed to the hilt and if we had won that promotion play off against Hull then things would have been very different.

Since then the money tap has been turned on and off with rather baffling timing.

I wouldn't disagree with your C+ but that's still a pass grade.

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I've never really been all that nervous about the Steve's stewardship, however as hes handed over the running of the club to Jon I'm increasingly worried.  Not only is Steve getting older and older and nobody lives forever, the amount of debt the club has is quite high.  I want to know what happens to all that debt owed to Steve.  

I think a big concern of mine, although uncomfortable to talk about, is what happens to us if we are still owned by Steve at the time he passes away. 

Hopefully he does go on to live for many more years but at the age of 71 it is a concern. 

I do wonder if Steve reducing his funding and his involvement in the running of the club is partly to prepare us for that time. He has openly spoken about succession planning in interviews before. 

I'm not sure Jon has the means to fund us himself. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maybe.

It's a question of timing it right.

Gary Johnson was backed to the hilt and if we had won that promotion play off against Hull then things would have been very different.

Since then the money tap has been turned on and off with rather baffling timing.

I wouldn't disagree with your C+ but that's still a pass grade.

Don't recall GJ being backed to the hilt? He certainly wasn't when it really mattered ie. the January window. A shame cos we could've been top 2 instead of 4th

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Yes but I’d feel sorry for the other employees of the club, whose fault it isn’t. Plus the players, they can only shoulder some of the responsibility 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

Don't recall GJ being backed to the hilt? He certainly wasn't when it really mattered ie. the January window. A shame cos we could've been top 2 instead of 4th

SL said he spent £50m in that ultimately unsuccessful promotion run under GJ and confessed that he felt "a bit silly" for doing that.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yes Graham you are correct it is our club and means a hell of a lot to us all. However it’s now got to the point where I think that buying season cards, or putting any money into the coffers is helping prop up the Lansdown regime. We need rid of these people and it’s gone beyond the ‘careful what you wish for’ stage. Fair play to all you fans that have renewed, but I think it would have made a massive statement if people had withdrawn their support for one season to send a message to SL. I appreciate there are concerns about losing seats and not being able to sit with friends etc, but something needs to change. I honestly find it quite depressing to look ahead with the knowledge that my club will never make it to the promised land under the current ownership. And deep down I think most fans know it too. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

‘Dead rubber’ in terms of both clubs with only pride to play for. Judging by the score line it’s hard not to think that the City player weren’t already on the beach.

Says it all.

Based on the tanking they got, our players must have no pride in themselves, the shirt or the club and it's supporters,

A shameful state of affairs.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Says it all.

Based on the tanking they got, our players must have no pride in themselves, the shirt or the club and it's supporters,

A shameful state of affairs.

Sorry,  but, imo, it is the Head Coach who must shoulder the bulk of the blame.

Can you imagine Nige picking a team who were already on the beach and then failing to deal with situation at halftime.  I can’t 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1