IGNORED

Aden Flint

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Just saw a report that Aden Flint picked up all 4 season awards at Mansfield from their supporters groups. Obviously they can't have a young player of the season award. 

Or they’ve got an exceptionally old squad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

50 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Just saw a report that Aden Flint picked up all 4 season awards at Mansfield from their supporters groups. Obviously they can't have a young player of the season award. 

Far too good for League Two.

He never had any pace so he won’t be any slower & he certainly isn’t getting any shorter.

Looking forward to him giving those North Bristol clowns some grief next season.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He never had any pace so he won’t be any slower & he certainly isn’t getting any shorter.

Looking forward to him giving those North Bristol clowns some grief next season.

Oh yes. 90 minutes of `Sheeeeeehead` followed by a winning header from a corner would be just the ticket. I wonder if Mansfield could `forget` their kit just for the occasion?

• Like 5
  • Haha 9
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Flint is at the right level to impress.

Big and powerful ideal qualities for a CB at that level. He’s obviously one of the better ‘head it and kick it’ merchants down at that level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 4

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fairly sure he went there, as he is a local lad and he knew they had a good chance of promotion. Fair play to him, and as you say - far too good for league 2.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Flint is at the right level to impress.

Big and powerful ideal qualities for a CB at that level. He’s obviously one of the better ‘head it and kick it’ merchants down at that level.

You are known as a persistent regurgitator of your own nonsense, but still hard to understand this particular non sensical regurgitation when events over many years have proved your initial assessment of Flint, and doubling down on it numerous times, to be totally wrong.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You are known as a persistent regurgitator of your own nonsense, but still hard to understand this particular non sensical regurgitation when events over many years have proved your initial assessment of Flint, and doubling down on it numerous times, to be totally wrong.

It’s my opinion Nogbad………..:cool2:

I never rated Flint. To me he was/is a 1970s ‘head it and kick it’ merchant. He is/was never a proper footballing CB and there are plenty in todays game and why he’s slipped down the leagues.

That said fair play to AF who has become wealthy by utilising his attributes to the maximum. Not sure how many times he moved clubs since City but each move would have earned a few grand signing on fee.

I met Aden a number of times. Nice guy and happy to chat about football.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I never rated Flint. To me he was/is a 1970s ‘head it and kick it’ merchant. He is/was never a proper footballing CB and there are plenty in todays game and why he’s slipped down the leagues.

That said fair play to AF who has become wealthy by utilising his attributes to the maximum. Not sure how many times he moved clubs since City but each move would have earned a few grand signing on fee.

Yeah a defender who defends (their main job)

All these footballing CB you talk about How many are great defenders?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Yeah a defender who defends (their main job)

All these footballing CB you talk about How many are great defenders?

Absolutely - but higher up the pyramid he was caught out by quick and agile strikers. Flint has the turning circle of a articulated lorry.

Opposition teams soon worked out that high balls into the box were likely to headed or wellied clear and so attacked using speed and quick feet. Flint was left seriously exposed.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely - but higher up the pyramid he was caught out by quick and agile strikers. Flint has the turning circle of a articulated lorry.

Opposition teams soon worked out that high balls into the box were likely to headed or wellied clear and so attacked using speed and quick feet. Flint was left seriously exposed.

Complete revisionism. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Complete revisionism. 

No - not revisionism at all. I had the same view on Flint for pretty much the entire time that he was at City. His limitations were clear for all to see.

• Sad 1

I am with Robbed to some degree, we certainly saw the best of AF and he is now at his best level. Went from Stoke to Mansfield on a free !  Never made an impression at Stoke. Make of that what you will.

Became a cult hero here with the famous Flint said 'No No No'... But we did the right thing and got a good fee for him at £8M (?) to Boro.

Never again reproduced the form he showed for us.. in League One.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tony Tootle said:

Yeah, think he would've taken a few. 15 goals for a CB at any level is pretty bloody impressive, even more so without penalties as per Flint. 

There was a centre half at Leicester about twenty years ago (Elliot ?) used to score a lot of goals, scored all four in a two all draw once !!! 🤣

He scored 15 goals in a season, including a hattrick in a game, the third of which was a rabona volley. Some players don't do that in their entire career! Don't think that is what anyone would expect of a player desribed as a "head it and kick it" merchant?

No one is claiming he's as good as Messi. Or even a stylish centre back like Webster proved to be. He had limitations. 

(I guess a rabona volley does technically fit the definition of kicking it...maybe that's what he means?? 🤦‍♂️ )

Heading it and kicking it is most of football, after all

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

There was a centre half at Leicester about twenty years ago (Elliot ?) used to score a lot of goals, scored all four in a two all draw once !!! 🤣

Matt Elliott, former Torquay player, looked like Uncle Fester!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

I can only imagine how illuminated, enlightened, enthused, and stimulated Aden was following the “football chats” with you - especially with your nonsensical critique of his footballing ability.

Its a testament to him as a man and a professional that he did not retire immediately based on your view.

Deary me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

No - not revisionism at all. I had the same view on Flint for pretty much the entire time that he was at City. His limitations were clear for all to see.

Why focus on his limitations?  I preferred to look at his strengths which were also clear for all to see.  He was a great player for us at that time, the linchpin of that team.

• Like 2

Flint was a rare beast amongst Bristol City players - he was a player we signed at a low cost, saw the absolute best of and sold at a considerable profit at exact right moment. I can’t think of many that fit that description.

Of course he had strengths and weaknesses but he is a deserved Bristol City cult hero.

• Like 10
  • Hmmm 1

34 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Flint was a rare beast amongst Bristol City players - he was a player we signed at a low cost, saw the absolute best of and sold at a considerable profit at exact right moment. I can’t think of many that fit that description.

Of course he had strengths and weaknesses but he is a deserved Bristol City cult hero.

Describe what you mean as ‘cult hero’ LB.